All facility types defined by the State of Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act are permitted in the City of Ann Arbor.
Permitted facility types:
- Medical Marijuana Provisioning Center
- Consumption Facility
- Safety Compliance Facility
- Secure Transport
All marijuana facilities are limited to certain zoning districts and some are also subject to spacing and/or co-locating limitations.
General Steps to Open a Marijuana Facility in Ann Arbor:
- Obtain Special Exception Use approval for the site from the City Planning Commission (if not required, start with step 2).
- Obtain a Zoning Compliance Permit (PDF)
- Apply to the Building Department for a Building Permit and follow that process for work to be done, or a Re-Occupation Permit (PDF) if no work is proposed. Either application will include an inspection.
- Submit a City of Ann Arbor Marijuana Facility Permit Application (PDF) to the City Clerk. Attestation I and/or Attestation 2-C will be signed after the application is reviewed by the Clerk. Submit the application and required attachments via mail, in-person, or online.
- Provide the City Clerk's office with a copy of the approved State Marihuana Facility License. At this point the facility can legally open.
Important Information for Opening a Marijuana Facility in Ann Arbor