All facility types defined by the State of Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act are permitted in the City of Ann Arbor.
Permitted facility types:
- Medical Marijuana Provisioning Center
- Consumption Facility
- Safety Compliance Facility
- Secure Transport
All marijuana facilities are limited to certain zoning districts and some are also subject to spacing and/or co-locating limitations.
General Steps to Open a Marijuana Facility in Ann Arbor:
- Obtain Special Exception Use approval for the site from the City Planning Commission (if not required, start with step 2).
- Obtain a Zoning Compliance Permit.
- Apply to the Building Department for a Building Permit and follow that process for any alterations and/or a change in occupancy. Where there is no change in occupancy or use of the space, a Re-Occupation Permit may be applicable. See the Re-Occupation Handout (PDF) for help determining your project's occupancy status. Please contact the Building Department with any questions.
- Submit a City of Ann Arbor Marijuana Facility Permit Application to the City Clerk. Attestation I and/or Attestation 2-C will be signed after the application is reviewed by the Clerk. Submit the application and required attachments via mail, in-person, or online.
- Provide the City Clerk's office with a copy of the approved State Marihuana Facility License. At this point the facility can legally open.
Applications must be submitted online using the City's new online permitting system STREAM
- Go to STREAM (stream.a2.gov.org)
- Select the Apply box
- Choose the appropriate permit application
- Complete the application and provide payment
Important Information for Opening a Marijuana Facility in Ann Arbor