Zoning Administration

Zoning Administration

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Planning » Zoning Administration

​Zoning Reports

The following zoning reports can be completed upon request for properties within the City of Ann Arbor.

Zoning Information/Zoning Analysis Report Application (PDF) Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic all Planning Services operations are taking place remotely. We encourage applications to be submitted by email in order to avoid delay. Applications can be submitted by email to [email protected]

Zoning Information Report $150.00 : includes zoning classification (base and overlay districts, frontage designation), allowable use (permitted, special exception, nonconforming, not permitted), parcel requirements, floodplain category, historic district information, and open zoning violations.
Zoning Analysis Report $275.00 : includes information provided in zoning confirmation report, plus special exception use approval, site plan approvals and modifications, variances, site plan compliance (if existing condition surveys have been provided by the applicant for analysis), and responses to specific zoning questions. 
Information relate​​d to building inspection history, certificates of occupancy, or rental housing inspection reports can be obtained by submitting a Freedom of Information Act request to the City’s FOIA Coordinator.

Zoning Compliance Permits

Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic all Planning Services operations are taking place remotely.  We encourage applications to be submitted by email in order to avoid delay.

City Code requires a zoning review of building permit applications to make sure construction and reoccupancy changes are consistent with the Zoning Ordinance.  This review is handled by Planning staff as part of the building permit application.

The following construction pr​​ojects do not require a building permit, but require a zoning compliance permit.

Fence Permit Application ​​(PDF) Fee: $75

Zoning Compliance Permit for Sheds/Decks Application (PDF) Fee: $24 or $68

Zoning compliance permit applications are also required for certain accessory uses and temporary outdoor sales, noted below.  To obtain this permit, complete the Zoning Application for Change of Use/Temporary Outdoor Sales​ (PDF). Temporary outdoor sales that include a tent larger than 120 square feet require a Building Permit.

  • Group day care homes
  • Automobile dealerships
  • Temporary outdoor sales (Note: if a tent larger than 120 square feet is associated with the outdoor sales, a Tent Permit Application (PDF) must be submitted to the Fire Department)
Zoning compliance permit applications should be submitted to the Permit Desk at Larcom City Hall, 301 E. Huron Street.

 Additional Zoning Information Guides

The following guides offer additional information on topics of particular interest.

Zoning Map

Using the Dynamic Map, you may search by Address or Zoning Section.  Then link to the individual zoning section map (PDF) for that section.  You can also pan and zoom around the map at any point for greater detail.​​


Individual Zoning Maps

The individual Zoning Section Maps are PDF documents and represent the Zoning in each section. You may​​ directly download any of the Zoning Section Maps you want.​

Please use this map image to help you find the Zoning Section Map you wish to download and find the link to the PDF map below.​

To determine the Zoning District Classification, you can use the Zoning District Abbreviations (PDF) key.







​On the mapAnn​​Arbor​​ online mapping webpage, enter the parcel address in the "Search for map features" box at the top of the screen. 
For downtown development the Zoning code may include using the Building Frontage and Downtown Character Areas maps as well. 
For parcel zoning designations, go to the City's eTRAKiT page and click on the search button under Properties. Enter some or all of the address in the search string, then click on the appropriate parcel record. The zoning designation is found by clicking on the Building and Land Use tab.


Zoning Complaints

Questions or concerns about potential zoning, off-street parking, site plan or fence violations may be directed to Planning staff by calling 734.794.6265 or emailing [email protected].


Subscribe to email updates 
​Planning & Development Services
301 E. Huron St.
Ann Arbor
Planning Manager

Brett Lenart, AICP 
[email protected] 
734.794.6000 x42606