Oct 22nd: The liveries are closed for the season. Thank you everyone who paddled with us this year. We hope to see you all in the spring. Gallup livery will reopen mid-April.
Plan ahead before you visit the liveries
Parking at the Argo Livery is very limited, and we kindly ask that you plan before visiting us. Please consider
parking in nearby parking lots on weekends and pay attention to all parking and traffic signs. Please do not park in areas that are designated as NO PARKING zones or block access for emergency vehicles. Map to 900 Canal Street and park in the M87 lot on the weekends. Consider alternative transportation methods, such as biking or carpooling, to reduce the number of vehicles in the area. Thank you. To learn more about each location visit the website. Thank you. Our goal is to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors, and we believe that by working together, we can achieve this.
Click here to view/print a the map below.
Paddle the River:
Two locations Argo Park and Gallup Park
Two river trips - current and transportation
1.5-hour/3.7-mile Argo to Gallup -
- Oct. 23: The liveries are close for the season.
2.5-hour/5.7-mile Barton to Gallup -
Two lake like sections of river - No current
Tube the Rapids
*Last boat rental is 2 hours prior to close. When we close at 7 p.m., the last rental is at 5 p.m. with boats due back by 7 p.m.
Stillwater Paddles (no current)
No reservations, just come down to the liveries and paddle a boat where the river is a calm lake in 2.5-mile Gallup Park. We have over 500 boats available to rent. Leave and come back to the same dock and no van transportation needed. Perfect for novice paddlers! 2-Mile Argo Pond / 2.5 mile Gallup Pond
Oct. 23: The liveries are close for the season.
*Last boat rental is 2 hours prior to close. When we close at 7 p.m., the last rental is at 5 p.m. with all boats due back by 7 p.m.
Stillwater Boat Rental Fees
|1 person Kayak||Argo and Gallup||$17/Kayak - 2 hours|
| Tandem Kayak||Argo and Gallup||$22/Kayak - 2 hours|
|2 to 3-person Canoe||Argo and Gallup||$22/Canoe - 2 hours|
|3-person Paddleboat||Gallup||$14/Boat - 1 hour|
|4-person Paddleboat||Gallup||$20/boat - 1 hour|
|Stand-up Paddleboard||Argo||$23/boat - 2 hours|
River Trips (current)
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 3.7 miles, 1.5 hours
Paddle down the Argo Cascades and on down the beautiful Huron River in Ann Arbor.
- No reservations for we have 100's of kayaks and canoes!
- Groups of +25 people please call 734.794.6240.
*Boats due at Gallup 1-hour prior to close
Barton to Gallup River Trip - 5.7-mile, 2.5-hour
Starts at Gallup with a van ride upriver to Barton. Paddle 2-mile Argo Pond, through the cascades, and on down the river ending back at Gallup.
- Reservations required online prior to day of or call the day of to check for availability. Boat Reservations
River Trip Boat Rental Fees
(3-4 Person if children)
(6 Person if children)
Tube the River
Tube the River details, rentals, personal tubes, parking and river map.
- Rental tubes at the Argo Livery -
- Tube rentals up to 2-hours prior to closing
- $10/person for a 2-hour rental
- 1 person per tube and must be 8 years of age or older.
- Shoes, no flip flops, are required.
- Water shoes are for sale at the Argo Livery for $20
- Tube down the Argo Cascade rapids and walk back up to repeat 2 or 3 times in your 2-hour rental
- Rental tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades and tubes are returned to the Argo Livery
- Argo Livery has tubes for purchase. Have your own tube? Tube the River
Parking at Argo and Gallup Parks
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Gallup Park - Overflow Parking is at Huron High School or Furstenburg.
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Argo Park - Overflow Parking is at the Kellogg Eye Center 900 Wall Street (Lot M87).
- Argo Cascades are 1500 feet of nine man-made drops and pools that bypass Argo Dam
- Kayakers get waist down wet in the cascades for water splashes over your boat. Boats flip over so be prepared to be wet!
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of kayak must have experience paddling a boat (5 or more times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat
What to Wear/What to Bring
- Dress for the weather
- Dress for getting wet so wear a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet and will dry quickly
- Wear shoes that can get wet and will stay on to protect your feet.
- DO NOT take valuables or personal belongings on the river unless secure in a dry bag/container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers at both liveries). Boats tip over and phones fall in the river
- Do not bring towels for they just get wet.
- Maximum size coolers 12'x12'x12' allowed (one per boat, no Styrofoam)
- No alcohol. No glass bottles
- Argo Livery sells cold drinks, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, water shoes, and stickers
- Gallup Livery sells cold drinks, coffee, chips, candy, granola bars, ice cream, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, t-shirts, hats and stickers
Boat Rental Policies
- Lifejackets are required and provided with all boat rentals
- Children must be age 1 years old or older to be in our boats.
- Dogs are welcome in all boats except in rafts and tubes
- Boats available for the river trip depend on the water level
- No canoes or rafts in low water conditions
- Gallup Livery offers van transportation for non-renters for $10/person, no inflated tubes and no boats, just people
- We take cash, all types of credit cards and checks for payment
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit of car keys or State issued I.D.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver (PDF). A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older)
- We do not rent paddles, to people who have not rented our boats
- Late fees: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time
Universal Accessible Boat Launches
Group Boat Rentals
Outdoors, teamwork, and fun on the beautiful Huron River in Ann Arbor! Boat rentals for all skill levels and all sizes of groups. We do not offer discount boat fees for groups. Contact Joe Anderson 734.794.6240 or
[email protected] for further information and to set up a reservation.
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration by boating on the Huron River. Contact Recreation Supervisor Joe Anderson 734.794.6240 or
- Discounted boat rentals for school groups on spring/fall weekdays
- Have adults print and sign Risk Waiver (PDF) prior to youth group trips