Have Own Tube
Respect other people, our parks and the river:
- We kindly ask you to please do not tube in the Argo Cascades so as to stay under 25 people gathering outdoors
- Practice physical distancing and give others space
- Leave no trace
- Tube and boat only with your immediate household
- If you are sick, stay at home
- Face masks are required to be worn in crowded outdoor areas
Start at Argo Park and tube the cascades and river
Tube where there is a current so as to enjoy your float down the river. Park a car or bike where you would like to end your tube trip or walk back up on the adjacent paved trail. Bring your own air pump for the Argo Livery does not provide air for tubes.
- Island Park - 1 mile, 1-2 hour float, easy walk back up on adjacent paved trail
- UM Arboretum - 2 mile, 2-3 hour float, walk out to Mitchell Field where parking is available and free on weekends and evenings.
- Furstenburg Park - 3 mile, 3-4 hour float, exit the river on the left, or north side of river, near an old log dock and walk out to the Furstenburg parking lot where you provide your own transportation back.
- Gallup Park - 3.7 mile, 4-5 hour float. Caution - there is no current for the last mile of this trip so it is difficult to paddle your tube on this section.
Click to see full image
Parking Near the River
- Park at 900 Wall St. in the University of Michigan Eye Center parking lot on weekends. Walk aross Plymouth Rd. at traffic light near the river and follow the trail up to the Argo Cascades.
- Park second car or bike at Island Park, Mitchell Field or Furstenburg Park depending on how far you want to go down the river.
- Parking in Argo Park or Gallup Park is full on nice weather weekends so plan on parking in the Wall St. lot and end your tube float at parks upriver from Gallup Park.
- Parking is usually available in one of the Argo Livery parking lots on weekdays.
- Park at Island Park or Furstenburg Park.
- Parking is not allowed at University of Michigan Eye Center or University of Michigan Mitchell Field on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Tips for Tubing
If you want to float the river from Argo to Gallup rent a kayak, raft or canoe for there is little or no current the last mile to Gallup. This river section is much more enjoyable with a paddle and the transportation upriver is provided with your boat rental.
- There is an air compressor, free of charge, adjacent to the Argo Livery restrooms
- Lockers are available to rent at Argo for $.50 for personal belongings.
No alcohol is permitted in City of Ann Arbor parks.
No glass bottles.
- Wear a lifejacket.
Wear shoes for cut feet are frequent injuries on the river. Argo sells watershoes all sizes for $12.
High water caution - if the liveries are closed for river trips that means the river is flowing fast and is too dangerous for boats and tubes. Check the
City Liveries website to see if there are restrictions due to river conditions.