Water Connections


header image
Skip Navigation LinksHome » Services » Water Billing » Water Connections

​​Customer Service Center

Larcom City Hall, first floor 
8.00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday (except holidays)

301 E. Huron St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Assistance by phone or email 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Fax: 734.994.8991
[email protected]

​​​​​​How to connect to A2 Utilities graphic.jpgThese are the steps required to connect to the City of Ann Arbor's water and sewer services. For single- and two-family properties, please continue on this page. For new annexations, commercial and 3+ residential unit properties, please see the City's Development Review page.  

For all properties, check the City of Ann Arbor's Ultimate City Service Boundaries Map to see if the property is within the City's service area and therefore eligible for City services.  Please note that water and sanitary sewer may not be immediately available to all locations.  Some areas have only one or the other utility; some have both, some neither.  The long-term goal of the City is to provide both utility services to all residents of the City. 

If your property is within the City's service area:

  1. For eligible township parcels, initiate the annexation process. Annexation forms, fees, Annexation Guide, and further information can be found on the City’s Community Services, Planning and Development web page, or by calling 734.794.6265. 

  2. For eligible township parcels, owners may arrange for earlier connection to water utilities prior to the completion of the annexation process by working with the City’s Customer Service Center to complete the City’s Outside Water Service Agreement and/or an Outside Sewer Service Agreement.There is a $47 administrative filing fee (FY25 rate) for each agreement. Please contact [email protected] for more information.

  3. For all eligible properties, arrange to pay all associated water and sanitary sewer fees, including extension chargecapital recovery chargetap fee, and water meter fee​​​.

  4. For all eligible properties, the property owner is responsible for hiring a private contractor to connect the building (water meter) to City water and/or sanitary sewer taps. The City recommends obtaining a minimum of three estimates and suggests that you inquire if the estimate includes the costs for the plumbing permits and Rights-of-Way permits, which are necessary to do the work. 

Meter upgrades

The city is continuing it's effort to upgrade water meters in homes and businesses in Ann Arbor. This effort also includes an inspection and survey to comply with Michigan laws. Residents can choose one of two options (PDF) instead of the upgrade, both of which would incur various costs. 


Capital Recovery Charges can be paid to the City in yearly payments over an established period o​f time. The maximum number of years possible to spread the yearly payments over is based on the total amount due. More information about payment options is available in Chapter 12 of City Code.​