header image
Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Building, Rental and Inspection Services » Construction and Building » Permits » Applications

​​​​ 301 E. Huron Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

8 a.m.-5 p.m.
(excluding holidays)

Mike Lemieux,
Interim​ Building Official

734.794.6000 x42674

Annie Hwang,
Plan Review Official

734.794.6000 x42604

Chris MacFarland,
Code Compliance Official

734.794.6000 x42657

Lisha Turner-Tolbert,
Building and Rental Services Manager

734.794.6000 x​42669

Construction Administrative Specialist


For a dial by name directory call ​734.794.6000 then select Option 9

​Submit your applications for unlinked permits via our online portal at

​Links to all of the forms and applications for Construction and Building are available through STREAM. You can search for these permits and apply through STREAM

Additional links under each form will take ​you to information that will be useful during the completion and submission process, in addition to contact person(s). 

  • Address Change/Addition Request​(PDF)
    • These requests allow developers, property owners and agents the ability to apply to change their current address, create new addresses for a development or correct incorrect addressing.
    • Our office will make all approved changes and notify all City Services as well as the US Postal Services.
    • There is a $100 fee for this service.
    • Please contact Scott Harrod​ at 734.794.6000 x42196 or [email protected] for questions regarding the addressing process.
  • ​Building Application - Residential
  • Building Application​ - Commercial​​
  • Cash Bond Agreement(PDF) For questions call 734.794.6263
  • Certificate of​ Occupancy Req​uest ​(Temp OR Final) 
  • Demolition​ Permit​​​​​​​​​
  • Electrical P​er​mit Application​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Fence Guidelines
  • Fence Permit Application​​
  • Fire Alarm Permit Application
  • Fire Suppr​ession Permit Application
  • Historic District Commission Application
  • Impervious Area Worksheet for Residential Construction
  • Mechanical Permit Application​​
  • Plumbing Permit Application​​​​​​
  • Plan Revision Re​quest (PDF, for eTRAKiT documents only)
  • Reactivation ​Form for Expired Permit​​​(PDF, for eTRAKiT documents only)
  • Re-Occ​upation_Application​​​​​​​​
  • Sign Appl​ication​​
  • Solar Permit Application - Expedited (Residential Only)
  • Grading/ Soil Er​o​sion Application
  • Soil erosion and sedimentation control for residential and commercial properties.  

Your permit must be posted on the job site.  For residential jobs adding more than 200 square feet of impervious area, also complete and submit the Impervious Area Worksheet. Please note, we are now collecting an inspection escrow at permit iss​​uance for non-residential jobs. The escrow will cover the anticipated monthly inspections for the duration of the job and any remaining funds will be returned at the end of the projec​t.  

(Electric​al, Mechanical, Plumbing​​​) - A minimum of 24-48 ​hours is required for review and processing. Multiple applications on a property may require additional processing time. Your permit must be posted on the job site.

  • Unoccupied Building Notification 
  • Zoning Compliance Applicat​ion for Sheds/Decks​​​​​​​​​ 
  • Zoning Compliance Application - Us​e/Sales

​Please visit Planning Services' Development Review page to download applications for annexations, zoning, land division and site plan petitions.

*Banner, Block Party and Temporary Exemption from Maximum Permissible Sound Levels permits are currently handled through the Clerk's offices on the 2nd floor of City Hall.  Please contact them at 734.794.6140 for additional information and procedures.