right-of-way permit (PDF) is required to do construction work in the public right-of-way, including public sidewalks.
Permit applications may be submitted at customer service desk on the 1st floor of Larcom City Hall located at 301 E. Huron Street.
If work in the right-of-way will interfere with traffic, a traffic control permit application must be submitted at least 72 hours in advance to Engineering.
Traffic control permit applications
Traffic control permit applications help assure that proper work zone safety procedures are followed when working in the right-of-way. All proposed work zone traffic control plans must conform to the Michigan Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD) Part VI, Construction and Maintenance. Copies of the MMUTCD Part VI are available from Engineering.
Permit applications must include:
- Date and Times of Work
- Location and Type of Work
- Description of Traffic Control necessary detours
- Applicant's Name, Address and Phone Number (24-hour emergency contact)
- Right-of-Way Permit Number
To use eTRAKiT for a permit application, follow these steps:
- Acquire a PIN (password) from Customer Service.
- Login to eTRAKiT and apply for the permit.
- Work with the City Staff to complete the application and pay for the permit.
- Print the issued permit and display a copy on site at all times.
Traffic control permit applications are typically required when a contractor must cut into the street, which is often necessary when making underground utility repairs. When cuts are needed, contractors must make arrangements with the right-of-way/street cut inspectors for approval of their work.