Right-of-Way and Lane Closure Permits

header image
Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Engineering » Right-of-Way and Lane Closure Permits


​A Right-of-​Way Permit is required to do construction work in the public right-of-way, including public sidewalks.  

​I​f work in the right-of-way will interfere with traffic, a traffic control permit application must be submitted at least 72 hours in advance to Engineering. ​​

Traffic control permit applications

Traffic control permit applications help assure that proper work zone safety procedures are followed when working in the right-of-way. All proposed work zone traffic control plans must conform to the Michigan Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD) Part VI, Construction and Maintenance. Copies of the MMUTCD Part VI are available from Engineering.

Permit applications must include​:

  • Date and Times of Work
  • Location and Type of Work
  • Description of Traffic Control necessary detours
  • Applicant's Name, Address and Phone Number (24-hour emergency contact)
  • Right-of-Way Permit Number​

There are also step-by-​step in​​structions (PDF) for those who might be new to the permitting system. 

Traffic control permit applications are typically required when a contractor must cut into the street, which is often necessary when making underground utility repairs. When cuts are needed, contractors​ must make arrangements with the right-of-way/street cut inspectors for approval of their work.​