Design Review Board
The City of Ann Arbor Design Review Board was established on June 6, 2011 to foster excellence in the design of downtown Ann Arbor's built environment. It advises developers on how a project can meet the spirit and intent of the Ann Arbor Downtown Design Guidelines
The Board engages in a dialog with potential applicants for any development that is:
- in the D1 or D2 zoning district, or located within the DDA boundary zoned or proposed to be zoned PUD,
- and is not in a historic district,
- and proposes an increase in floor area,
- and is a site plan (for City Council approval, for Planning Commission approval, PUD, planned project or administrative amendment to an approved site plan that includes significant building facade changes).
Any project meeting these criteria is required to meet with the Design Review Board as part of the normal site plan review process. Compliance with the Board's commentary is voluntary.
The Design Review Board consists of 7 members, including two landscape architects, two architects, one planner, one developer and one contractor. Each member is appointed by the Mayor and approved by City Council and serves a three-year term.
- Tamara Burns, Architect
- Gary Cooper, Landscape Architect
- Lori Singleton, Landscape Architect
- William Kinley, Developer
- Richard Mitchell, Architect, Chair
- Geoffrey Perkins, Contractor, Vice Chair
- Corry Buckwalter, Planner
Meetings and Deadlines
The Design Review Board meets at 3:00 pm second Wednesday of each month in the Council Chambers, as needed. Meetings are advertised through the GovDelivery notification service, in the lobby of City Hall, and by mailings to residents and property owners within 500 feet of the proposed development site. Meetings are open to the general public.
Applications for a meeting are due by noon on the second Wednesday of the prior month. For example, applications for the June meeting are due by noon on the second Wednesday of May.
2019 DRB Meeting Dates
January 16, 2019* in the Basement Conference Room of City Hall at 3:00 p.m.
*February 13, 2019 3:30 p.m.
March 13, 2019
April 10, 2019
May 8, 2019
June 12, 2019
July 10, 2019
August 14, 2019
September 11, 2019
October 9, 2019
November 13, 2019
December 11, 2019
The Design Review Board meeting schedule, agendas and packets are available at the City of Ann Arbor's Legislative Information Center.
Click to access the City's Meeting, Agenda and Minutes Calendar. Scroll down the page to the Design Review Board meeting and click on the Agenda or Meeting Details links for the packet materials.