Design Review Board
The City of Ann Arbor Design Review Board was established on June 6, 2011 to foster excellence in the design of downtown Ann Arbor's built environment. It advises developers on how a project can meet the spirit and intent of the Ann Arbor Downtown Design Guidelines
The Board engages in a dialog with potential applicants for any development that is:
- in the D1 or D2 zoning district, or located within the DDA boundary zoned or proposed to be zoned PUD,
- and is not in a historic district,
- and proposes an increase in floor area,
- and is a site plan (for City Council approval, for Planning Commission approval, PUD, planned project or administrative amendment to an approved site plan that includes significant building facade changes).
Any project meeting these criteria is required to meet with the Design Review Board as part of the normal site plan review process. Compliance with the Board's commentary is voluntary.
The Design Review Board consists of 7 members, including two landscape architects, two architects, one planner, one developer and one contractor. Each member is appointed by the Mayor and approved by City Council and serves a three-year term.
Tamara Burns, Architect
Gary Cooper, Landscape Architect
Lori Singleton, Landscape Architect
William Kinley, Developer
Richard Mitchell, Architect, Chair
Geoffrey Perkins, Contractor, Vice Chair
Corry Buckwalter, Planner
John Kotarski, Public Art Commission Representative
Meetings and Deadlines
The Design Review Board meets at 3:00 pm second Wednesday of each month in the Council Chambers, as needed. Meetings are advertised through the GovDelivery notification service, in the lobby of City Hall, and by mailings to residents and property owners within 500 feet of the proposed development site. Meetings are open to the general public.
Applications for a meeting are due by noon on the second Wednesday of the prior month. For example, applications for the June meeting are due by noon on the second Wednesday of May.
2019 DRB Meeting Dates
- January 08, 2020 3:00 PM
- February 12, 2020 3:00 PM
- March 11, 2020 3:00 PM
- April 08, 2020 3:00 PM
- May 13, 2020 3:00 PM
- June 10, 2020 3:00 PM
- July 08, 2020 3:00 PM
- August 12, 2020 3:00 PM
- September 09, 2020 3:00 PM
- October 14, 2020 3:00 PM
- November 18, 2020 3:00 PM, Larcom City Hall 301 E Huron St, Basement, conference room
- December 09, 2020 3:00 PM
The Design Review Board meeting schedule, agendas and packets are available at the City of Ann Arbor's Legislative Information Center.
Click to access the City's Meeting, Agenda and Minutes Calendar. Scroll down the page to the Design Review Board meeting and click on the Agenda or Meeting Details links for the packet materials.