Planning Commission Members
Alex Milshteyn, Chair
Shannan Gibb-Randall, Secretary
Zachary Ackerman, City Council Representative
Communications should be directed to the full Planning Commission by email at email@example.com
or by mail at 301 E. Huron St., Ann Arbor, MI 48107.
eComment Instructions for Electronically Held Meetings (PDF)
Planning Commission Assignments
The City Planning Commission generally meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Council Chambers (2nd floor of Larcom City Hall) and has a working session on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
Roles and Functions of the City Planning Commission (PDF)
The Planning Commission meeting and petition review schedules are provided below:
Planning Commission agenda and packets are available at the City of Ann Arbor's Legislative Information Center.
One of the most important jobs of the Ann Arbor City Planning Commission is to provide an opportunity for the public to offer constructive comments on items before it, and then to take those comments into account when making its recommendations or decisions.
As a citizen, you can take an active role in shaping Ann Arbor by participating in the planning and development process. Information on public hearings and tracking development petitions is provided below.
For tips on communicating effectively when attending meetings and conversing with planning staff, planning commissioners, developers, and fellow residents, see the Citizens' Guide to Effective Communication (PDF).
The Planning Commission holds public hearings on all development petitions it reviews. Notice of upcoming public hearings is provided in several ways in order to reach the people most likely to be affected by or interested in proposals:
- The name of the petition
- The time and place of the hearing
- How to get more information
- The date the property was posted
At the Planning Commission public hearing members of the public may speak for up to 3 minutes (or 5 minutes if an official representative of a neighborhood association).
Written comments may be submitted in advance of the Planning Commission meeting by hand delivery to Planning Services, 1st
floor of City Hall, during regular business hours (M-F, 8 am - 5 pm) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Comments received by noon the day of the meeting will be printed and distributed at the meeting.
Development Petition Information
In addition, the following information on development petitions is available to the public:
- To received email notifications when new planning petitions are submitted to the City, subscribe to the Petitions Under Review RSS feed.
- Upon receipt of a petition, usually the last week of the month, the plan set is displayed in the lobby of City Hall
- You can monitor staff review comments on petitions by going to www.a2gov.org/permits and clicking on "Search" in the Projects box. Use the pulldown menu to select "Project Name" in the first box of the search string, then enter the project name in the last box. Review comments will be pdf links at the bottom of the page.
- On the Friday afternoon preceding a hearing, the Planning Commission agenda and packet are posted on the Legislative Information Center, and an agenda is posted in the lobby of City Hall, 301 E. Huron.
Minutes are typically adopted by the Planning Commission the month following a meeting. Approved minutes are provided in the City of Ann Arbor's Legislative Information Center