In an effort to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus, and in lieu of Governor Whitmer's “Stay Home, Stay Safe" order, the City of Ann of Ann Arbor's Building Department has made several changes to operation. For the health and safety of our community, we encourage everyone to follow the Governor's executive order. Please read the following information carefully and note it is currently effective. Thank you for your patience and flexibility. Stay safe and be well.
Questions and/or concerns about the State’s actions to mitigate the spread of coronavirus shall be directed to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Hotline at 1-888-535-6136 between 8AM - 5PM daily.
Please also refer Michigan.gov FAQ for more information on the order.
NOTICE: Larcom City Hall (located at 301 E. Huron) is currently open to the public but inspectors and administrative staff will be present on a very limited basis. Staff will still be conducting business remotely.
The Planning & Development, Building, and Rental Departments can be reached via phone or email. Phone calls will be routed to our voicemail inbox which will be routinely checked by staff, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5p.m. We will respond to voicemails and emails received within 24-48 hours.
Building Department 734-794-6263 ext. 0, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rental Housing Services 734-794-6264 ext. 1, email@example.com
Planning Department 734-794-6265, firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Ann Arbor is providing updates on operations involving construction plan review, permits and inspections amid the State of Michigan Stay Home, Stay Safe Executive Order
Plan review and permit submission:
- In accordance with the state executive order, permit applications and plans for review will continue with digital submission via email (up to 150MB) using the email@example.com email address.
- At this time, expedited plan reviews have been suspended until further notice. The city will actively assess the demand for this service and will determine when conditions will allow for expedited reviews to resume.
- Issued permits and approved plans will be posted online for public access via eTRAKiT at https://etrakit.a2gov.org/etrakit3/.
- Questions regarding plan review can be directed to Deputy Building Official Mike Lemieux at firstname.lastname@example.org or Development Services Inspector Chris MacFarland at email@example.com.
- Onsite inspections for building and trades have continued (as of Monday, May 11). Inspections should be requested online through eTRAKiT. Inspectors will continue regular communications with the public to discuss their inspection needs and verify timing.
- Inspections for rental properties have resumed.
- As a regular protocol for both building and rental inspections, the city will screen all inspectors daily for COVID-19 symptoms, inspectors will be equipped with appropriate personal protective equipment, and each inspection will be performed adhering to the 6-foot distancing requirement.
- Alternate means of inspections will remain an option as determined and agreed upon between project leaders and inspectors.
Submitting Permit Applications
At this time, the only option for submitting permit applications is digitally via email. Please send all applications and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to submit plans for review, they too, should be emailed (up to 150MB per email) with your application. All expedited plan review has been suspended until further notice.
For questions regarding plan review, please contact Mike Lemieux at email@example.com or Chris MacFarland at firstname.lastname@example.org
Issued permits will be posted on eTrakit at www.a2gov.org/permits.
No physical payments (cash, checks, cards) are being accepted at City Hall at this time. Permit applications can be paid via faxing a payment sheet to 734-994-8460.
Approved Permit Pick-Up
Approved building permits and associated permit drawings will now be emailed to applicants digitally. There will be no option to pick-up any permits. Trade permits will be posted on eTrakit. Please feel free to call or email us with questions regarding this process.
Construction inspections should be scheduled online through eTRAKiT or by emailing us at email@example.com. Please include a permit number, address, name of contractor, contact phone number and type of inspection requested when emailing inspection requests.
Please coordinate directly with your inspector via phone or email to determine results.
Thank you for helping us keep our community safe and strong during these trying times.
Stay Home, Stay Safe, SAVE LIVES