Animal Control

header image
Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Police Department » Services » Animal Control

​​​​​​​​​​​  ​​ Ann Arbor Police Department badge 

​​​ Second floor, 301 E. Huron Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

For emergencies


Non-emergency dispatch


AAPD front desk (for general information)


AAPD tip line


Crime stoppers



​The Ann Arbor Police Department partners with the Humane Society of Huron Valley for animal control services. You may contact the Humane Society of Huron Valley at 734.662.5585. 

To request removal of a dead animal from public property, call Washtenaw Metro Dispatch at 734.994.2911.​

Reasonable Control (Leash Laws)

Dogs must be on a leash held by a person when walking. Dogs must also be on a leash which is attached to a stationary object and with a person when in public or in a vehicle. Sidewalks and lawn extensions are public. Dogs should not be left tied outside stores and restaurants while the owners are inside. All animal control regulations (leash laws) also apply to parks.


Noise nuisances are defined as:

  • an animal that is making ​noise such as ​barking or howling 

    • frequently or for a continued duration

      • which annoys, endangers, injures or disturbs a person of normal sensitivities 

        • on premises other than that of the owner of the animal.​

Sanitation nuisances are any dirty conditions from:

  • ​animal droppings

  • food

  • debris

  • anything which causes odors or disease hazards

  • attracts vermin

Waste Clean-up Penalties

If a dog leaves its feces, and the owner does not pick up the feces, a ticket can be issued. This does not apply to leader dogs for the blind. It also does not apply to feces left on the owner's property.

Dog Licenses

Dogs older than 6 months must be licensed and wearing a license tag. Owners may get a violation if they do not do this.​​ Dog licenses can be obtained from the city clerk's office, located in Larcom City Hall, second floor. Call 734.794.6140 for more information. Please bring in paperwork from the rabies vaccination.  

Animal Bites

  • All wounds should be washed immediately with soap and water.

  • The victim should contact their doctor or medical facility as soon as possible.

  • A report should be made with the Ann Arbor Police Department if it occurred within the city limits.

  • Obtain owner information or contain the animal if possible.

  • Note: There is a bite inspection fee of $30.

Impounded Dogs

If a dog is not wearing a current Ann Arbor dog license, the owner will need proof of current rabies vaccination and a dog license prior to impound release. If the dog needs a rabies vaccination, the owner will need to make arrangements with the Humane Society of Huron Valley prior to release. The owner will need to bring necessary paperwork to the AAPD front desk on the second floor of the Ann Arbor Justice Center, 301 E. Huron St.

There is a $65 impoundment fee per dog. There may be a ticket based on the violation. The owner will be given paperwork for the dog’s release. The owner will then have to pick the dog up at the Humane Society of Huron Valley, 3100 Cherry Hill Road. The Humane Society will charge fees based on the length of time the dog is at there. Visit the Humane Society online for hours or call 734.662.5585 x105, or 734.662.4365 (clinic).

Animal Control Ordinances

A copy of the city ordinances concerning animals can be obtained by contacting the city clerk's office at 734.794.6140 or at the online Ann Arbor Code of Ordinances.

Other Information

Cats older than 6 months must always be immunized against rabies. If an owner fails to do this, a ticket may be issued. 

Residents may only keep or house dogs, cats, rabbits, canaries or small animals commonly kept as pets. City ordinance states that no person shall keep or house any animals or fowl other than those listed. 

A patrol officer will respond to calls based on priority and availability. They will provide assistance with certain types of problems. They do not remove skunks or bats. Citizens can locate pest control services (wildlife, bees, wasps, etc.) in the yellow pages or online.

Local Wildlife Rescue

Bird Rescue: 734.761.9640​

Friends of Wildlife Rescue: 734.913.9843

The Humane Society of Huron Valley houses stray animals and adopts animals and operates a spay and neuter clinic. They provide rescues for sick and injured animals 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The address is 3100 Cherry Hill Road; office business hours are noon to 6 p.m.; phone number is 734.662.5585 x105, or 734.662.4365 (clinic).

In emergency situations, call 9-1-1. For non-emergencies call 734.994.2911​.​