Street Tree Permits

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Forestry » Street Tree Permits

​​​Street View.JPGAny work that occurs in the right-of-way that impacts a city-owned street tree, including tree removal, tree planting a​nd tree trimming, requires the submission and approval of a Forestry Permit.  The permit is free, however, a canopy loss fee and/or tree appraisal may​ be charged for the removal of any city-owned street tree. 

Can a Resident hire a tree care company to do tree planting or tree work on a city street tree? 

YES! Residents interested in hiring a tree care company, at their own expense, to do tree planting or tree work on a city street tree (ex: tree pruning, stump removal, inse​ct/disease/fertilization treatment) can do so through the Resident Sponsored Tree Care and Tree Planting programs.  For more information about the programs and a copy of the Forestry Permit that must be submitted, please click on the links below (requires Adobe Acrobat to open).

Canopy loss fee

Any projects that propose the removal of a city-owned street or park tree will be required to pay a canopy loss fee.   The canopy loss fee is a conservative estimate of the value the city-owned tree has to the community.  For more information on the canopy loss fee click here.



​Forestry Public Works
Wheeler Service Center
4251 Stone School Road
[email protected]