Airport Capital Improvement Plan
The Ann Arbor Airport annually files a five year AIP Capital Improvement Plan with the State of Michigan as required by the Federal Aviation Administration that shows projects being considered that are eligible for federal and state grant funding. The most recent Plan is available by clicking on the link below.
Environmental Assessment Project.
In February 2009, the City initiated an environmental assessment (EA) process to determine the potential impacts of lengthening the primary runway at the Ann Arbor Airport from 3,500’ to 4,300’. The EA addresses potential impacts to noise levels, air quality, water quality, wetlands, floodplains, plant and wildlife, light emissions, historical and cultural resources, traffic, social and socioeconomic factors. A draft EA was completed and public comments on the document were received in 2010. The public comments were addressed and the EA document was submitted to the FAA for review. The FAA has asked that the document be refreshed with the time that has passed since it was originally completed. The updated 2016 draft EA has recently been completed and is available for public review. The scope of the proposed runway project has not changed from the 2010 draft EA.
A second public informational meeting was held in January 2017 and a 30 day public comment period was also provided. No runway changes have been approved nor can they be considered until the EA process is completed and the appropriate approvals granted.
The 2016 draft EA is available online below. The full draft EA document is a large file (44mb) so the document has been split into smaller files (4-5mb each) to make downloading easier.
2016 Draft EA - Part 1.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 2.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 3.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 4.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 5.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 6.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 7.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 8.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 9.pdf
2016 Draft EA - Part 10.pdf
To address questions related to the EA process and the potential runway improvement, the Frequently Asked Questions information has been prepared and can be downloaded by clicking below. While both FAQ documents are large, the condensed version is geared more towards non-aviation individuals. The technical version is longer and contains more detail including the specific references to various aviation regulations and practices used in a creating this document. Please look for additional information regarding the EA and an update to the progress of the project at this site in the future.
- FAQ – condensed version, April 10, 2009 (26 page PDF)
- FAQ – technical version, April 27, 2009 (47 page PDF)
- Press Release - April 20, 2009
- Citizen Advisory Committee - May 4, 2009 Presentation Materials
- Citizen Advisory Committee - May 4, 2009 Meeting Summary
- Citizen Advisory Committee - July 20, 2009 Meeting Packet
- Citizen Advisory Committee - July 20, 2009 Meeting Summary
- Runway Overrun Documentation - July 20, 2009
- Runway Noise Presentation - July 20, 2009
- Runway Noise Contour Maps - July 20, 2009
- MDOT ARB Airport User Survey Report - July 2009
- Citizen Advisory Committee - February 22, 2010 Meeting Packet
- FAA Comments and Responses