Ann Arbor Parks & Recreation has many rental opportunities in our Parks. The various park locations listed below highlight shelters and other regularly-rented used spaces. From mid-April to mid-October, nearly all of the park shelters are rented on the weekends and most weekdays.
Park rental permits for any given calendar year are available starting on the first business day of each calendar year. For example, to rent a park on Saturday, April 1, 2023 you may call to reserve starting at 9am on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
Please remember, all rental requests must be made at least 7 days in advance of the requested date
. We will not issue park permits less than 7 days in advance of the rental date.
Refer to Chapter 39
of the City of Ann Arbor Code of Ordinances for park regulations and rules as well as policies found on park permits and park receipts. Please contact our office with questions about rentals and events in parks.
To make a reservation and receive a park permit, call the Parks Customer Service office Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Leave a voicemail if you don't reach us, and we will return your call.
Phone: 734.794.6230 x 0
Park Shelter Rentals
Park Shelter Rental Fees
The following fees apply to all Ann Arbor park picnic shelters. These do not apply to indoor meeting rooms or open park space permits which have separate rental fees.
Park Shelters Available to Rent
Allmendinger Park Shelter
Located between the public restrooms. Small indoor room can be used for meetings or food and beverage set-up. Refrigerator and sink available for use. Key deposit required for entry. Approximate capacity is 15 people. Allmendinger Park is location at 655 Pauline Blvd, Ann Arbor MI 48103.
Bandemer Park Shelter
Small shelter located near fishing dock and fire circle. Grills and compostable restrooms nearby.
Approximate capacity is 30 people. The picnic shelter and disc golf course at Bandemer Park are located at the entrance to the park at 2001 Whitmore Lake Road, Ann Arbor MI 48105.
Burns Park Shelter
Indoor room with folding tables, chairs, refrigerator, microwave and sink. Requires a key deposit for entry. Outdoor covered patio and grills nearby. Approximate indoor capacity is 40 people. Burns Park is located at 1300 Baldwin Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Gallup Park - Maas Shelter
Closer to parking lot and playground; grills and compostable restrooms nearby. No electricity available. Approximate capacity is 50 people. Gallup Park is located at 3000 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor MI 48105. Please see the map of the park indicating which shelter is the Maas Shelter.
Gallup Park - Fast Shelter
Farthest from parking lot and playground.; grills and compostable restrooms nearby. No electricity available. Approximate capacity is 75 people. Gallup Park is located at 3000 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor MI 48105. Please see the map of the park indicating which shelter is the Fast Shelter.
Island Park - Greek Revival Shelter
Small outdoor shelter with unique design commonly used for wedding ceremonies. Accessible via a foot bridge. No electricity. No picnic tables in shelter, only outside nearby. Approximate capacity is 20 people. Island Park is located at 1420 Island Drive, Ann Arbor MI 48105. Please reference the Island Park map for the location of the Greek Revival Shelter.
Island Park - Shelter A
First shelter when you enter the park. Closest to the foot bridge to the island. No electricity available. Approximate capacity is 40 people. Island Park is located at 1420 Island Drive, Ann Arbor MI 48105. Please reference the Island Park map for the location of Island Park Shelter A.
Island Park - Shelter B
Larger shelter in the back of the park. Restrooms available. Electricity available. Approximate capacity is 75 people. Island Park is located at 1420 Island Drive, Ann Arbor MI 48105. Please reference the Island Park map for the location of Island Park Shelter B.
Olson Park - Shelter
Electricity available. Playground, grills, and compostable restrooms nearby. Approximate capacity is 75 people. Olson Park is located at 1505 Dhu Varren Road Ann Arbor, 48105.
Southeast Area Park - Shelter
Electricity available. Playground, grills, and restrooms nearby. Approximate capacity is 75 people. Southeast Area Park is located at 2901 E. Ellsworth Road, Ann Arbor MI 48108.
Wheeler Park Shelter (Rentals suspended for 2022)
Small shelter. Playground, park space, grills, and restrooms nearby. Electricity available. Approximate capacity is 25 people.
The fees below may be applicable based on the specifics of each event. Not all fees apply; some may be refunded and others may be added as information is shared during the reservation process.
- Alcohol Permit (allows beer and wine to be consumed) - $25 residents/$30 non-residents/$45 business
- Electricity Connection Fee - $14
- Hourly Electricity Fee - $3 per hour
- Special Event Electricity -$50
- Key Deposit -$50 (Refundable)
- Additional People Fee - $6 per 25 people over 75
Park Space Fees
If an event is held at a park in an area other than a shelter, or if an event's footprint extends beyond a shelter area, a park space permit may be required. Park space permits are charged as follows.
Park Space rental options
Bandemer Park - Fire Circle (Rentals Suspended due to Construction)
Small fire circle available for use and requires a park permit. Park Space rental fees are applied. Must notify Ann Arbor Fire Department with park permit number. No alcohol permitted. Approximate capacity is 25 people.
Hunt Park Shelter
Small outdoor overhang. Restrooms available. Approximate capacity is 15 people. Hunt Park is located at 1035 Daniel Street, Ann Arbor MI 48103.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I rent a park/get a park permit for my event?
- Contact Parks Customer Service at 734.794.6230 x 0 or at [email protected] General inquiries and questions can be sent by email, but rentals must be made by phone.
Which parks can I rent/get a permit for?
- Most Ann Arbor Parks can be rented depending on the details of your event. Most Nature Areas cannot be rented. Please contact Parks Customer Service to check availability and whether a certain park can be used for your event.
Which parts of a park can I rent/get a permit for?
- Most events will rent a picnic shelter to hold their event, but events can be held in other areas of a park with a park permit. Parks does not reserve playgrounds, game courts, individual picnic tables or grills.
What does it cost to rent a park/get a park permit?
When do I need to rent a space/get a park permit?
- You may need to rent a space in a park or obtain a park permit if:
- you have amplified sound
- you have alcohol at your event
- you have a bounce house
- you have food trucks
- your event is for an organization/club/business/etc.
- your event is open to the public
Can I have ________ at my event?
- a bounce house?
- Yes, with a park permit and insurance covering the inflatable must be submitted to parks.
- food truck?
- Yes, with a park permit and food trucks must park in marked parking spaces.
- Yes, beer and wine are allowed at park shelters with an alcohol permit and a park permit.
- a generator?
- Yes, with a park permit. Tents over 400 square feet also require a permit from the City's Building Department.
- a baseball/softball game?
- Baseball/softball fields can be rented through the Ann Arbor Rec and Ed at 734.994.2300.
- a fire pit?
- No. Fire pits are not permitted to be brought into a park. Bandemer Park has a built-in fire pit available by reservation only.