Ann Arbor's city parks sit on the ancestral and traditional homelands of several indigenous Native peoples. Read a
land acknowledgement from the city and learn more about the early history of the land
The land that now comprises Woodbury Park and the surrounding apartment complex used to be the location of the University of Michigan Botanical Gardens. From 1916 to 1961, the fifty-two-acre gardens were used to grow plants for research, classes, and decorations for university functions; there was no aesthetic principle involved in its design and maintenance. In 1960, the gardens moved to their current location on North Dixboro Road. Development on the Woodbury Gardens apartments near Woodbury Park began in in 1969. The developers named the streets Astor and Wisteria in honor of the land's former use.