Ann Arbor's city parks sit on the ancestral and traditional homelands of several indigenous Native peoples. Read a
land acknowledgement from the city and learn more about the early history of the land
The land that is Waterworks Park was acquired in 1927.
Allen's Creek runs underneath Waterworks Park. The creek was put underground in the 1920s. The park was originally home to a small pond where the creek widened out. Read more about the history of Allen's Creek
In 1938, kids make crafts in Waterworks Park (photo below from oldnews.aadl.org).
During the 1970s and 1980s, the Western Kiwanis Club provided many improvements to the park, including the first play equipment in 1978. Read the
Western Kiwanis's history of Involvement for more details on their service and projects.
The asphalt path going through the park was first constructed in 1974-75.