Sustaining Ann Arbor Together (SA2T)
Neighborhood Grant Program
The Sustaining Ann Arbor Together (SA2T) neighborhood grant program promotes and resources community-based activities in support of the City's sustainability and climate action goals. The Office of Sustainability and Innovation under the City Administrator, has the primary responsibility for the SA2T program. SA2T helps neighborhood groups develop, resource, and complete small-scale improvement projects in the city's rights-of-way or on publicly owned property, including Ann Arbor Public School property. The targeted grant amount is less than $10,000 (excluding neighborhood contributions); however, the city will accept applications for larger projects on a case-by-case basis. The total annual grant program funding is $100,000.
Examples of past projects
|New Wings for Old Bikes||Repurposing old bikes with in-need community members||Common Cycle||$13,700||$10,000|
|Building Stock Analysis||Conducting baseline energy and water assessment of all commercial buildings in 2030 District||Ann Arbor 2030 District||$13,600||$4,600|
|Capacity Building and Job Corps Training||A job corps training program for at-risk young adults||Neutral Zone||$26,450||$10,000|
|Solar Power Curriculum for K-8||Solar curriculum development for K-8 and a solar installation||Northside STEAM||$25,352||$10,000|
|A-Z Recycling Guide Becomes Zero Waste Guide||Development of a zero-waste guide and accompanying website||Recycle Ann Arbor||$9,662||$6,450|
|Natural Play Area||Installation of new, natural paly area at a local elementary school||Ann Arbor Public Schools||$175,663||$10,000|
|Recuperative Care and Housing Crisis Stabilization Specialized Shelter Programs||Equipment and supplies to operate Recuperative Care programs and offer a welcoming temporary shelter that fits clients' needs.||Shelter Association of Washtenaw County||$15,000||$10,000|
Who can apply?
Applicants must have a “responsible entity" to apply for funds, meaning one of the following:
- A neighborhood association (registered with the Planning Services Area);
- Civic or community service association (e.g., scouting, youth athletic associations, bicycling or rowing clubs, fraternal organizational, environmental conservancies)
- Nonprofit entity registered with the State of Michigan
Interested candidates can submit their SA2T grant application online. Information that will be requested include:
Part 1: Contact Information
- Name of sponsoring organization (“responsible entity")
- Name of individuals authorized to sign contracts and grant applications on behalf of organization
- Contact information for project leader
Part 2: Project Information
- Project name, description, and location
- Estimated total project costs
- Documents of approval from the owners of the property
Part 3: Sustainability Information
- Statemen tof how the project will advance the Sustainability Framework Goals
Part 4: Grant Information
- Grant request amount
- Statement describing project “deliverables" and how results will be measured
- Project timeline and completion date
- Description of any other sources of project funding, including the cost-sharing proposal
- Statement of how project will be maintained and funded in the future
Part 5: Signature
- Completed and signed application form
- Any additional attachments
The City will review applications on a rolling basis. Applications not accepted for a grant will be considered in future funding cycles unless otherwise noted. If a decision is made to fund your grant, a member of the review committee will be in touch with a grant agreement and other forms needing signature. The City will also work with you to schedule an announcement of your award.
Ready to Apply
If you're ready to apply, start your application now.
City staff will review online applications to ensure they meet the intent and requirements of the program. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, pending availability of funds. City staff will not prepare grant applications for applicants. If you have questions about the viability of a potential project, please contact Galen Hardy (email@example.com).