A leak adjustment is a financial adjustment to water and/or waste water (sewer) usage charges on a customer's bill caused by a leak on the customer's side of the meter.
Leak adjustments will cover no more than two (2) consecutive quarterly bills. Only one (1) financial adjustment associated to billed usage will be allowed per rolling 12 month period per premise.
A leak adjustment may be granted when
ALL of the following conditions are present:
- Customer notifies the City of Ann Arbor Customer Service Department of an excessive utility bill that may be related to a leak
- Water consumption exceeds the customer's average quarterly usage by at least twice the amount
- Plumber's receipt or other proof confirms the leak was repaired
However, no adjustments will be granted where any of the following situations exist:
- Usage above the customer's average quarterly consumption is due to seasonal usage such as watering of sod, gardening, filling swimming pools or whirlpools, washing vehicles, etc.
- Leak was caused by a third party from whom the customer is able to recover their costs. Examples include, but are not limited to, theft, vandalism, and negligence and construction damage.
- The meter at said property has been accessed, tampered with, or turned on/off by anyone other than a City of Ann Arbor employee and that action results in loss of water.
- A leak adjustment was issued within the past 12 months for the same premise.
- A leak adjustment request was not requested within 12 months of the period the leak took place
To submit your request please fill out the
If your application is approved
If your application is denied
- You will be notified by mail of the approval. The excessive water usage will be charged at an incremental/discounted rate.
- You will be notified by mail of the denial.
While Your Request is Processing...
While a leak adjustment request is being processed, the customer is responsible for payment of the entire amount due on their utility bills within the normal payment period; or the customer should request to enter into an agreed-upon payment arrangement. If this does not occur, the customer is subject to all current and applicable collection activities and termination of service processes for delinquent accounts. Please allow 14 calendar days to monitor the consumption on your account.