Stillwater Paddles River Trips Tubing Groups Programs and Camps
Hours: Argo Livery opens May 3 weekends only from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Gallup Livery is open 7 days/week beginning April 19, go to Gallup for boat rentals when the Argo Livery is closed in the spring. Beginning May 24 Argo will be open weekends 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and weekdays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Argo Canoe Livery is located at the Argo Cascades and features canoe, one-person and two-person kayaks, five-person rafts, tubes and stand up paddleboard rentals in a quiet natural setting. Also offered are concessions, river merchandise and river themed programs. Paddle with us for a fun river trip enjoying outdoor adventures with friends and family! Livery Brochure 2014.pdf
Paddle a boat in the river where there is little or no current in 2-mile Argo Pond. Great for beginners and families; no van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go!
Stillwater Boat Rentals at Argo
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people
- 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children with combined weight of <100 lbs.
- Two-person kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person kayak and kid kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Stand-up Paddleboards(SUP): $18/boat, two hours
River Trips at Gallup and Argo
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. We have over 500 boats and no boat rental reservations needed except for large groups. Determine which river trip you would like to go on, the location (Argo or Gallup) that offers the trip you've selected and rent your boats from that livery during the times the trip is offered. The Huron River is generally a calm and lazy river with a short section of drops and pools in the Argo Cascades.
Argo-to-Gallup River Trip - 1.5-hour, 3.7 mile trip
Our most popular trip with a paddle down the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades by kayak or raft, canoes are launched after the Cascades, and a nice current through beautiful parks. See below schedule to determine which livery to start this river trip depending on the season.
- April 19 to May 2 - from Gallup every day on the hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- May 3 to May 23 - from Argo weekends anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.; from Gallup weekdays on the hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- May 24 to Sept. 1 - from Argo weekends and holidays anytime between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and weekdays anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Argo-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $22/boat
- One-person kayak: $18/boat
- Five-person raft: $60/boat (this trip on a raft takes 2.5 hours)
- Two-person canoe: $22/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Barton-to-Gallup Park River Trip - 5.7 miles, 2.5 hours
Spend more time on the river, our longest trip without a portage, with a lazy float through scenic Argo Pond, followed by the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades and ending with a paddle through beautiful river parks down to Gallup. Start this river trip at the Gallup Livery.
- May 3 to May 23: from Gallup weekends only on the hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- May 24 to Sept. 1: from Gallup weekends and holidays anytime between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. and weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Barton-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $28/boat
- One-person kayak: $24/boat
- Two-person canoe: $28/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Delhi-to-Argo Park River Trip - 7.1 miles, 4 hours
Your paddle starts with a river current for the first half hour and the remaining 3.5 hours of the trip does not have a current as you paddle through Barton Pond, portage around Argo Dam and continue on down through Argo Pond. Start this river trip at the Argo Livery.
- May 3 to Sept. 1: from Argo weekends only at 10 a.m.
- Delhi-to-Argo boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $34/boat
- One-person kayak: $30/boat
- Two-person canoe: $34/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades but are available for the river trips launching at the end.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (+5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everybody must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
River Trip Details & Policies
- No reservations - small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all but the busiest of days. Groups of 15 or more people please call Gallup 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times and longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather summer weekends, avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided, we have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Personal boat transports are available on weekdays only. Fee: subtract $10 from above river trip boat rental rates.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf, a parent/guardian signs for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave one deposit, either car keys or driver's license, for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site).
- Dogs are welcome!
Paddling tips for an enjoyable river experience. What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries. Concessions & river related items for sale are: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps and more.
Huron River Maps and Facts. Enjoy hiking river parks. Argo_Nature_Area_Maps.pdf and Barton_Park_Map.pdf. Fun Facts About the Huron River Fun_Huron_River_Facts.pdf.
Tubing Argo Cascades
Float down the Argo Cascades, walk back to the top and repeat the fun! One-person per tube, 8 years and above, shoes required and no coolers. Tubes are just for use in the Cascades and renters must walk back up and return the tube back at the Argo Canoe Livery. People average three to four tube rides down the Cascades in a two hour rental. No van transportaton provided for tube rentals. Lockers are available for personal belongings.
Tubing at the Argo Canoe Livery: $10/tube, two hours
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience adventures on the river and teambuilding while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or a picnic. Call the Gallup Livery 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages and skills.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are only for groups of 15 or more people and can only be made during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. To make a group reservation please call the Gallup Livery office 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip.
School Group River Trips & Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (maximum 3 people), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 4-6 person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Recreation Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Public Programs Register online
In addition to the below programs Gallup Livery offers preschool programs and river day camps. For more information call our office 734.794.6240.
Canoe, Kayak & Rowboat Auction - Gallup Livery
Saturday, May 3, 12 p.m. at the Gallup Canoe Livery. Public auction of used and damaged boats. Featured this year are aluminum canoes, 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks and a rowboat.
Bird Walks – Gallup Park
Friday, May 17, 6 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, June 7, 7:30 to 9 a.m. Free for all ages and family-friendly! Join City Ornithologist Dea Armstrong as she leads a walk to look for birds in Gallup Park and Furstenberg Nature Area. Bring binoculars if you have them. Meet at the Gallup Livery.
Stand Up Paddling (SUP) Classes – Argo Livery
May 29, June 12, June 26, July 17, or Aug. 14, 6 to 8 p.m., $25/person, register for one date, ages 13-99, preregistration required. Come try out SUP! We provide the instruction, boards, paddles, and lifejackets. SUP is easy to learn and is a great workout all while having fun out on beautiful Argo Pond.
Kayak Classes – Gallup Livery
May 22, or June 19, 6 to 8 p.m., $25/person, register for one date, ages 13-99, preregistration required. A kayak class will get you off to a great start on your river adventures. Learn basic strokes, techniques and safety before heading out to explore Gallup Pond with an instructor. We provide all of the equipment and recreational kayaks are stable and easy to paddle so all will feel more confident on the water.
Red Fish Blue Fish Teach Kids to Fish – Gallup Livery
Sunday, June 8, 9:30 to 11 a.m. $5/child, all ages welcome with an adult, preregistration required. Join us for our State's Free Fishing Weekend for Michigan offers some of the finest freshwater fishing with more than 36,350 miles of rivers and streams. Fishing poles, bait and instruction are provided so just bring your family and friends and let's go fishing!
Full Moon Paddles – Gallup Livery
Fridays, June 13, July 11, and August 8, start from Gallup Livery any time between 8 and 9:30 p.m. with all boats returned by 11 p.m. $18/boat, no preregistration. As the sun sets and the full moon rises venture out to paddle a canoe or kayak in the night! Watch for deer, muskrats, herons, and other wildlife as you paddle your boat on the 2.5-mile Gallup Pond section of the Huron River. Bring family, friends and a flashlight.
34th Annual Huron River Day Festival – Gallup Park
Sunday, July 13, 12 to 4 p.m. Come celebrate the wonderful Huron River! Fun activities from 12 to 4 p.m. include $5 canoe/kayak rentals, children's activities, live animal programs, river exhibits, live music, food, fishing, boat demos and much, much more. The festivities begin in the morning with the Gallup Gallop run. Ride your bike and receive a coupon for a free boat rental. Sponsored by DTE Energy Foundation.
Argo River Camp - completed grades 5 to 8 Register online
Friends and fun on the coolest river around! Join us on river journeys as each day we explore a different section of the beautiful Huron River. Our many adventures include canoeing, kayaking, fishing, geocaching and paddling over to Bandemer park for disc golf games and lunch over a bonfire. Argo River Camp is based out of a cabin at the Argo Livery & the Park Pavilion on picturesque Argo Pond. Due to the outdoor adventure nature of this camp each session is limited to 12 campers. (Gallup Park
offers river day camps for grades 1 to 5.)
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Fees: Resident, $225; nonresident, $275; preregistration required
Extended Camp: 4 to 5:30 p.m. Fee: Resident $40; nonresident $50
Argo River Camp Launch - completed grades 5/6:
June 23-27, Aug 4-8
Argo River Camp for Girls - completed grades 5/6/7/8:
June 30-July 3 (no camp July 4, resident $180, nonresident $225)
Argo River Camp - completed grades 6/7/8:
June 16-20, July 14-18, July 21-25, July 28-Aug 1, Aug 18-22
Argo River Camp Pro - completed grades 7/8:
July 7-11, Aug 11-15