Gallup Park Canoe Livery offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, kid kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals plus concessions, merchandise and river-themed programs. The award-winning Gallup Park (PDF) includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Park Livery also features WiFi, ice cream, baked goods and coffee with riverside seating overlooking the river.
Argo Canoe Livery is our upstream livery location and offers different river trips, programs and boat rentals.
We offer river programs! Register for a program.
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families, no van ride needed, just jump in a boat and off you go. Last boat rented is 6 p.m. and all boats returned by 8 p.m.
|1-person Kayak ||2 hours||$14/boat|
|2-person Kayak and Canoe||2 hours||$18/boat|
Paddle down the river current and we provide a van shuttle upriver. We offer two river trips, the 1.5 hour Argo to Gallup River Trip and the 2.5 hour Barton to Gallup River Trip, both of which paddle through the Argo Cascades and on down the Huron River through the city of Ann Arbor.
Boat Rental Details
- No reservations except for groups of 15 or more can make weekday reservations by calling the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- Maximum cooler size allowed is 12" x 12" x 12".
- Only ONE cooler per boat, Styrofoam coolers are not permitted.
- No alcohol, no glass bottles.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from child's small to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.).
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Dogs are welcome!
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Concessions and river related items for sale are: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps and more.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
Parking at Argo and Gallup Parks
Parking is limited and weekends are busy at Argo and Gallup Parks. Options for Argo Parking (pdf) and Furstenberg parking (pdf).
Huron River Water Trail
The Huron River Water Trail is a 104-mile (167 km) inland paddling trail connecting people to the river's natural environment, its history and the communities it touches in Michigan. The Huron River Water Trail is a project of the Huron River Watershed Council and RiverUp! and is recognized as a National Water Trail Check out canoe art, improved portages, added landings and river signs on Ann Arbor's section of the river. Paddle the Huron River!
Planning Group Events
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River!Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 for details.
- Group boat reservations are available on weekdays only and for groups of 15 or more people.
- If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation!
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Available all year! Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Rental fees: resident $40/hour; nonresident 50/hour. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also find additional room rental information online.
Argo & Gallup Park 2017 River Programs
Register online or more information call Gallup Park 734.794.6240. Click here to view 2017 Activity Guide (PDF)
Special Activities at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Delhi to Argo River Trip – Argo Livery
June 11, July 16 or August 13, 9:30 a.m., $40/canoe or two-person kayak, $35/one-person kayak, preregistration required. The 7.1 mile Delhi Metropark to Argo Park River trip is a 4-hour adventure down the Huron River. Paddling through Barton Pond, portaging a historic dam and then paddling on down Argo Pond makes for a long and scenic river trip.
River Kids – A Preschool Program in Gallup Park
Fun river programs for children ages 2-6 years w/caregiver. Each session is once per week for four weeks. Preregistration is required. Resident, $70; nonresident, $84 per child/month. Each week you and your little one will explore the river world by paddling a kayak, canoe or paddleboat on Gallup Pond. Experience the thrill of catching fish off the dock and discovering our river critters with boats, stories, art and play. September River Kid Sessions: Thursdays September 7, 14, 21 and 28 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Canoe and Kayak Auction - Gallup Livery
Saturday, Sept. 23 at noon at the Gallup Canoe Livery. Public auction of used and damaged boats. Featured this fall are aluminum canoes, 2-person kayaks, and 1-person kayaks.
Trick or Treat on the River
Sunday, Oct. 15, between noon and 5 p.m. at the Gallup Canoe Livery, fee: $18/boat, no preregistration required, all ages welcome (children must be one year or older). Spend the afternoon enjoying the haunting fall beauty of the Huron River and trick or treating by canoe or kayak. As you paddle up and down Gallup Pond, you will encounter creatures handing out treats and candy. Feel free to join in and dress up. Bring a bag for your candy, and keep an eye out for swamp monsters and pirates!