Gallup Park offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals, river-themed programs, and a coffee shop. This award-winning park includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Coffee Shop offers concessions, ice cream, and Zingerman's baked goods overlooking the river.
Livery Brochure.pdf and River Map.pdf
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families. No van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go! Boats need to be rented before 7 p.m. and all boats returned by 8 p.m.
Stillwater Boat Rentals at Gallup
Three-person Canoe: $18/boat, two hours
Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
One-person Kayak and Kid Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
Rowboat: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
Paddleboat: $10/boat, one hour, maximum 3 people
River Trip from Gallup
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. We have over 500 boats with no boat rental reservations (except for large groups on weekdays). Determine which river trip you would like to go on, the location Argo or Gallup that offers the trip you've selected, and rent your boats from that livery during the times the trip is offered. In the summer months the Argo-to-Gallup river trip is available from the
Argo Livery and the Barton-to-Gallup river trip is available from the Gallup Livery. The Huron River is generally a calm and lazy river with a short section of drops and pools in the Argo Cascades. We are extremely busy on nice weather weekends so to avoid crowds and long queues paddle rent boats on weekdays.
Barton-to-Gallup Park River Trip - 5.7 miles, 2.5 hours
Spend more time on the river with a lazy float through scenic Argo Pond, followed by the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades, and ending with a paddle through beautiful river parks down to Gallup. Our longest trip without a portage. Start this river trip at the Gallup Livery.
May 23 to September 7:
- Weekends - begin your trip at the
Gallup Livery every half hour between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- On nice weather weekend this trip can fill by 12 p.m. therefore come early to rent boats
- Weekdays - begin your trip at the
Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
September 8 to October 11:
- Weekends only - begin your trip at the Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Barton-to-Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person Kayak: $30/boat
- One-person Kayak: $25/boat
- Canoes not available for this river trip
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades, but are available for the river trips launching at the end.
- Tubes are required to stay in the cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Policies
- No reservations! Small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all, but the busiest of days. Groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240 for weekday reservations.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- Tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades and do not go down the river to Gallup.
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the hourly rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome!
Paddling Tips for a Safe and Fun River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles, and Styrofoam coolers.
Map of Gallup Park
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale include: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps, and more.
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are for groups of 15 or more people only and can only be made on weekdays during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation. If your group wants to paddle on a weekend or holiday we suggest you arrive before 11 a.m. at the Argo Livery for the Argo-to-Gallup river trip.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people
maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Available year round! Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Combine room rental with boat rentals for a fun outing!
Rental fees are $40/hour for Ann Arbor residents and $50/hour for nonresidents with a 2-hour minimum. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also click
here to find additional room rental information online.
Gallup Park Programs -
Register now for a river-themed program!
River Programs in the Fall at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Full Moon Paddles - Gallup Livery
Last full moon paddle of the season is Friday evening, August 28. Rent your boat from the Gallup Livery any time between 8 and 9:30 p.m. (or until sold out) with all boats returned by 11 p.m. $18/boat, no pre-registration. As the sun sets and the full moon rises venture out to paddle a canoe or kayak in the night! Watch for deer, muskrats, herons, and other wildlife as you paddle your boat on the 2-mile Gallup Pond section of the Huron River. Bring family, friends and a flashlight.
River Kids - Gallup Livery
Fridays, Sept. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 2 from 4:30-6 p.m.
Tuesdays, Sept. 29, Oct. 6, 13, 20 from 10-11:30 a.m.
$64/$52 resident discount per child/month, ages 2-4 years with a caregiver. Come down to the Gallup Livery for fall adventures on the Huron River! Enjoy the wonderful autumn colors as we explore the river on kayaks and canoes. Experience the thrill of catching fish and discovering river critters. Stories, art and play in the park rounds out the fun on the river. Preregistration required.
Kayak and Canoe Auction - Gallup Livery
Saturday, October 3, Noon at the Gallup Canoe Livery. Public auction of used and damaged boats. Featured this fall are used and damaged 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, whitewater kayaks and aluminum canoes.
Trick or Treat on the River - Gallup Livery
Sunday, Oct. 18, between noon and 5 p.m. at the Gallup Canoe Livery, fee: $18/boat, no preregistration required, all ages welcome (children must be one year or older). Spend the afternoon enjoying the haunting fall beauty of the Huron River and trick or treating by canoe or kayak. As you paddle up and down Gallup Pond, you will encounter creatures handing out treats and candy. Feel free to join in and dress up. Bring a bag for your candy, and keep an eye out for swamp monsters and pirates!