River trips are open!
Gallup Park offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals, river-themed programs, and a coffee shop. This award-winning park includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Coffee Shop offers concessions, ice cream, and Zingerman's baked goods overlooking the river.
Livery Brochure.pdf and River Map.pdf
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families. No van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go! $10 twilight rates Monday through Thursday evenings for canoes and kayaks rented 1.5 hours or less prior to our closing time.
Stillwater Boat Rentals at Gallup
Three-person Canoe: $18/boat, two hours
Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
One-person Kayak and Kid Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
Rowboat: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
Paddleboat: $10/boat, one hour, maximum 3 people
River Trips from Gallup
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. We have over 500 boats with no boat rental reservations (except for large groups on weekdays). Determine which river trip you would like to go on, the location Argo or Gallup that offers the trip you've selected, and rent your boats from that livery during the times the trip is offered. In the summer months the Argo-to-Gallup and the Delhi-to-Argo river trips are available from the
Argo Livery and the Barton-to-Gallup river trip is available from the Gallup Livery. The Huron River is generally a calm and lazy river with a short section of drops and pools in the Argo Cascades. We are extremely busy on nice weather weekends so to avoid crowds and long queues paddle in the mornings or on weekdays.
Barton-to-Gallup Park River Trip - 5.7 miles, 2.5 hours
Spend more time on the river with a lazy float through scenic Argo Pond, followed by the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades, and ending with a paddle through beautiful river parks down to Gallup. Our longest trip without a portage. Start this river trip at the Gallup Livery.
May 23 to September 7:
- Weekends begin your trip at the
Gallup Livery every half hour between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- On nice weather weekend this trip can fill by 12 p.m. therefore come early to rent boats
- Weekdays begin your trip at the
Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Barton-to-Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person Kayak: $30/boat
- One-person Kayak: $25/boat
- Canoes not available for this river trip, instead take one of our new inflatable 2-person boats
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades, but are available for the river trips launching at the end.
- Tubes are required to stay in the cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Policies
- No reservations! Small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all, but the busiest of days. Groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240 for weekday reservations.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- Tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades and do not go down the river to Gallup.
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the hourly rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome!
Paddling Tips for a Safe and Fun River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles, and Styrofoam coolers.
Map of Gallup Park
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale include: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps, and more.
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are for groups of 15 or more people only and can only be made on weekdays during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation. If your group wants to paddle on a weekend or holiday we suggest you arrive before 11 a.m. at the Argo Livery for the Argo-to-Gallup river trip.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people
maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Available year round! Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Combine room rental with boat rentals for a fun outing!
Rental fees are $40/hour for Ann Arbor residents and $50/hour for nonresidents. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also click
here to find additional room rental information online.
Gallup Park Programs -
Register now for a river-themed camp or program!
River Camps at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries - All 2015 River Camps are currently full
Our popular river camp programs teach kids how to explore and love their natural world all from the seat of a boat! The river camps are licensed by the State and we have experienced instructors that understand the safety of on-water activities while balancing the importance of outdoor fun and adventure. For more information call the Gallup Park office 734.794.6240.
Gallup River Camp: Completed 1st-5th Grades
Explore the Huron River with boats and fishing for a week filled with learning, adventure, and fun! Experience perfect summer days as we kayak, canoe, paddleboat, fish, cookout, art, and play in wonderful Gallup Park. Campers will have a blast outside while gaining valuable boating and fishing skills paddling the pond and beyond. All ages have fun swimming at the pool and rafting the cascades. Camp Explore floats the river in rafts and Camp Adventure journeys down the river on kayaks.
Camp Fees: resident, $225; nonresident, $275
Camp Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Extended Camp: 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 to 6 p.m.; resident, $50, nonresident, $60
Gallup River Camp Explore - Completed 1st-5th Grades:
June 22-26, July 6-10, July 20-24, Aug 3-7, Aug 17-21
Gallup River Camp Adventure – Completed 3rd/4th/5th Grades:
June 15-19, June 29-July 2 (4 day camp), July 13-17, July 27-31, Aug 10-14, Aug 24-28, Aug 31-Sept 4
Argo River Camp: Completed 6th-8th Grades
Friends and fun on the coolest river around! Join us as we journey out each day paddling our boats down different sections of the beautiful Huron River. Our many explorations include kayaking, canoeing, stand up paddleboarding, tubing, rafting, fishing, geocaching, disc golf games and a bonfire lunch. Argo River Camp is based out of a cabin and pavilion at the Argo Livery. Because of the outdoor adventure nature of this camp each session is limited to 12 campers.
Camp Fees: resident $225; nonresident $275
Camp Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Argo River Camp – Completed 6th/7th/8th Grades:
June 15-19, June 22-26, July 6-10, July 13-17, July 20-24, July 27-31, Aug 3-7, Aug 10-14, Aug 17-21, Aug 24-28
Argo River Camp Just for Girls – Completed 6th/7th/8th Grades:
June 29-July 2 (no camp July 3); resident, $180; nonresident, $220
Preschool Programs at Gallup Park
Fun river programs for children ages 2-6 years w/caregiver. Each session is 4 weeks 1x/week , preregistration required. Resident, $52; nonresident, $64 per child/month. River adventures with you and your little one! Each week we will explore the river world by paddling a kayak, canoe or paddleboat on Gallup Pond. The children will experience the thrill of catching fish off the dock and discovering our river critters with boats, stories, art and play. NEW summer evening sessions!
July River Kid Sessions:
- Mondays, July 6, 13, 20, 27 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays, July 7, 14, 21, 28 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays, July 8, 15, 22, 29 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
August River Kid Sessions:
- Mondays, August 3, 10, 17, 24 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays, August 4, 11, 18, 25 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays, August 5, 12, 19, 26 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
River Programs at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) – Argo Livery
Thursdays, June 25, July 16 or August 13, 5:30-8 p.m., $35/person/1 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. Come try out SUP! We provide the instruction, boards, paddles, and lifejackets. SUP is easy to learn and is a great workout all while having fun out on beautiful Argo Pond.
Full Moon Paddles - Gallup Livery
Offered 3 moonlit Friday evenings, June 5, July 31, and August 28. Rent your boat from the Gallup Livery any time between 8 and 9:30 p.m. with all boats returned by 11 p.m. $18/boat, no pre-registration. As the sun sets and the full moon rises venture out to paddle a canoe or kayak in the night! Watch for deer, muskrats, herons, and other wildlife as you paddle your boat on the 2-mile Gallup Pond section of the Huron River. Bring family, friends and a flashlight.
Teen Kayaking - Argo Livery
Thursday, July 9, 5:30-8 p.m., $35/person, ages 12-17, preregistration required. Discover kayaking as we venture down the river with an instructor. This teen-only kayaking trip is a great way to build confidence and learn the skills necessary to take a trip through the cascades and down the river. After some safety and basic stroke instruction, we will head out on Argo Pond and then down the Huron River to Gallup Park. We provide all of the equipment, lifejackets, and recreational kayaks. Perfect to sign up with a friend!
35th Annual Huron River Day Festival - Gallup Park
Sunday, July 12, 12 to 4 p.m. Come celebrate the wonderful Huron River! Fun festival activities from 12 to 4 p.m. include $5 canoe/kayak rentals, children's activities, live animal programs, river exhibits, butterfly house, live music, food, fishing, stand up paddleboarding and much, much more. Ride your bike and receive a coupon for a free boat rental. Sponsored by DTE Energy Foundation.
River Women - Argo Livery
Tuesdays, July 21, July 28, August 4, and August 11 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., $100/person/4 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. Come explore the Huron River in this ladies-only boating adventure! Each of the 4-sessions will allow you to try out a different boat and build more confidence on the water. 1st session: Kayak around Argo Pond with an instructor and learn basic strokes and maneuvers all while building up your confidence kayaking on the water. 2nd session: Come try out and get some basic instruction on SUPs to see the water in a whole new way. 3rd session: Learn some basic canoeing strokes and work with others to paddle around Argo Pond. 4th session: We will use our new boating skills to kayak through the cascades and down the Huron River.
Teen Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) - Argo Livery
Thursday, July 23, 5:30-8 p.m., $35/person, ages 12-17, preregistration required. Come try out and learn how to SUP! This teen-only activity is a great way to build confidence and learn how to stand-up paddleboard on the beautiful Huron River. After some safety and basic stroke instruction, we will head out on Argo Pond with an instructor. We provide all of the equipment, lifejackets, and SUPs. Prefect to sign up with a friend!
Family Canoeing - Gallup Livery
Thursday, August 6, 6-8 p.m., $ 14/adult (children under 16 years old free), preregistration required. Gallup Pond provides a beautiful place to learn how to canoe as a family! Learn some boating safety and basic strokes from an instructor that will allow you to work together as a family to maneuver around the pond. All equipment and lifejackets will be provided for your evening of family fun! Up to 4 people per canoe if the two in the middle are children whose combined weight is less than 100 pounds. All children must have had their first birthday.