Canoe Liveries are hiring.
In the May when the Argo Livery is closed on weekdays the Gallup Park Livery offers the 3.7 mile Argo to Gallup river trip and 2 miles of Stillwater paddling. Gallup Park offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals, river-themed programs, and a coffee shop. This award-winning park includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Coffee Shop offers concessions, ice cream, and Zingerman's baked goods overlooking the river.
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families. No van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go! Season passes available for $350/season (1 boat/day for stillwater or river trips). Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles. Last boat rented is 5 p.m. and all boats returned by 7 p.m.
Stillwater Paddle Hours
- April 16 - May 27
- Every day 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Last boat rental is at 5 p.m.
- May 28 - September 5
- Every day 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Last boat rental is at 6 p.m.
Stillwater Boat Rental Fees
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people unless 2 children have combined weight of <100 lbs.
- Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person Kayak and Kid Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Rowboat: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
- Paddleboat: $10/boat, one hour, maximum 3 people
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide a van shuttle upriver. The Argo Cascades has improved the river trip experience with the removal of a portage, the creation of small rapids and offers new river recreation with sit-on-top kayaks and rafts. Canoes bypass the cascades. No reservations taken except on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people. Season passes available for $350/season (1 boat/day for stillwater or river trips). Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles.
Argo-to-Gallup River Trip - 1.5 hour, 3.7 mile trip
Our most popular trip starts with the fun Argo Cascades and ends with a relaxing paddle down the picturesque Huron River. The river is surrounded by parks providing an outdoor experience right in the city of Ann Arbor. This river trip starts at the Argo Livery unless Argo is closed, weekdays in spring/fall season, then on those days it starts at the Gallup Livery.
- April 30 to May 27
- Weekends: starts at the Argo Livery anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Weekdays: starts at the Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour from 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- May 28 to September 5
- Every day: starts at the Argo Livery anytime between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Argo-to-Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $25/kayak
- One-person kayak: $20/kayak
- Two-person canoe: $25/canoe (third person in canoe >12 years old, $10 fee). Canoes bypass the Argo Cascades
- Five-person raft: $68/raft, rafts available only at Argo
Barton-to-Gallup River Trip - 2.5 hour, 5.7 mile trip
This trip starts at the Gallup Livery with a van ride upriver to Barton Park. A longer river trip that starts with a 2-mile paddle through Argo Pond, paddling down the fun Argo Cascades and ending with a relaxing paddle down the river current back to Gallup Park. This river trip always starts at the Gallup Canoe Livery
- April 30 to May 27
- Weekends: from the Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- May 28 to September 5
- Weekends: from the Gallup Livery anytime between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Weekdays: from the Gallup Livery on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Barton-to-Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $30/boat
- One-person kayak: $25/boat
- Canoes and rafts are not available for this trip
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades, but are available for the Argo-to-Gallup river trip launching at the end.
- Rented tubes are required to stay in the cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) so as to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Details
- No reservations! Only time reservations are taken is on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- New in 2016 maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches
- Only ONE cooler per boat and styrofoam coolers are not permitted
- No alcohol or glass bottles of any kindWe provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome
Paddling Tips for a Safe and Fun River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles, and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale include: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps, and more.
Huron River Water Trail
The Huron River Water Trail is a 104-mile (167 km) inland paddling trail connecting people to the river's natural environment, its history and the communities it touches in Michigan. The Huron River Water Trail is a project of the Huron River Watershed Council and RiverUp! and is recognized as a National Water Trail Check out canoe art, improved portages, added landings and river signs on Ann Arbor's section of the river. Paddle the Huron River!
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are for groups of 15 or more people only and can only be made on weekdays during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people
maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Combine room rental with boat rentals for a fun outing! Rental fees are $40/hour for Ann Arbor residents and $50/hour for nonresidents with a 2-hour minimum. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also click here to find additional room rental information online.
Argo & Gallup Park 2016 Programs -
River Camps at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Online registration www.a2gov.org/parks, more information call Gallup Park 734.794.6240. The river camps are licensed by the State and we have experienced instructors that understand the safety of on-water activities while balancing the importance of outdoor fun and adventure. Our popular river camps teach kids how to explore and love their natural world all from the seat of a boat!
Gallup River Camp: Completed 1st-5th Grades
Explore the Huron River with boats and fishing for a week filled with learning, adventure, and fun! Experience perfect summer days as we kayak, canoe, paddleboat, fish, cookout, art, and play in wonderful Gallup Park. Campers will have a blast outside while gaining valuable boating and fishing skills paddling the pond and beyond. All ages have fun swimming at the pool and rafting the cascades. Camp Explore floats the river in rafts and Camp Adventure journeys down the river on kayaks.
Camp Fees: resident, $225; nonresident, $275
Camp Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Extended Camp: 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 to 6 p.m.; resident, $50, nonresident, $60
Gallup River Camp Explore - Completed 1st-5th Grades:
June 20-24, July 5-8 (4 days), July 18-22, Aug 1-5, Aug 15-19, Aug 29-Sept 2
Gallup River Camp Adventure – Completed 3rd/4th/5th Grades:
June 27-July 1, July 11-15, July 25-29, Aug 8-12, Aug 22-26
Argo River Camp: Completed 6th-8th Grades
Friends and fun on the coolest river around! Join us as we journey out each day paddling our boats down different sections of the beautiful Huron River. Our many explorations include kayaking, canoeing, stand up paddleboarding, tubing, rafting, fishing, geocaching, disc golf and a bonfire lunch. Argo River Camp is based out of a cabin and pavilion at the Argo Livery.
Camp Fees: resident $225; nonresident $275
Camp Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Argo River Camp – Completed 6th/7th/8th Grades:
June 20-24, June 27-July 1, July 5-8 (4 days), July 18-22, July 25-29, Aug 1-5, Aug 8-12, Aug 15-19, Aug 22-26
Argo River Camp Just for Girls – Completed 6th/7th/8th Grades:
River Programs at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Preschool Programs in Gallup Park
Fun river programs for children ages 2-6 years w/caregiver. Each session is 4 weeks 1x/week , preregistration required. Resident, $70; nonresident, $84 per child/month. River adventures with you and your little one! Each week we will explore the river world by paddling a kayak, canoe or paddleboat on Gallup Pond. The children will experience the thrill of catching fish off the dock and discovering our river critters with boats, stories, art and play.
May River Kid Sessions:
Tuesdays, May 3, 10, 17, 24 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays, May 4, 11, 18, 25 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
June River Kids Sessions:
Mondays, June 6, 13, 20, 27 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Tuesdays, June 7, 14, 21, 28 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays, June 8, 15, 22, 29 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
July River Kid Sessions:
Mondays, July 11, 18, 25, Aug 1 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Tuesdays, July 12, 19, 26, Aug 2 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays, July 13, 20, 27, Aug 3 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
August River Kid Sessions:
Mondays, August 8, 15, 22, 29 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Tuesdays, August 9, 16, 23, 30 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays, August 10, 17, 24, 31 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
River Programs at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
Some programs require preregistration. Online registration www.a2gov.org/parks, more information www.a2gov.org/canoe, or call Gallup Park 734.794.6240.
Canoe and Kayak Auction - Gallup Livery
Saturday, May 7, 12 p.m. at the Gallup Canoe Livery. Public auction of used and damaged boats. Featured this year are aluminum canoes, 2-person kayaks, and 1-person kayaks.
Delhi to Argo River Trip – Argo Livery
June 5, July 17 or August 7, 9:30 a.m., $40/canoe or 2-person kayak, $35/1-person kayak, preregistration required. The 7.1 mile Delhi Metropark to Argo Park River trip is a 4-hour adventure down the Huron River. Paddling through Barton Pond, portaging a historic dam and then paddling on down Argo Pond makes for a long and scenic river trip.
Recreational Kayak I – Gallup Livery
May 31 or July 12, 5:30 to 8 p.m., $35/person/1 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. A kayak class will get you off to a great start on your river adventures. Learn basic strokes, techniques and safety before heading out to explore Gallup Pond with an instructor. We provide all of the equipment and recreational kayaks are stable and easy to paddle so all will feel more confident on the water.
Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) – Argo Livery
June 9, June 30, July 21 or August 11, 5:30-8 p.m., $35/person/1 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. Come try out SUP! We provide the instruction, boards, paddles, and lifejackets. SUP is easy to learn and is a great workout all while having fun out on beautiful Argo Pond.
Red Fish Blue Fish Teach Kids to Fish - Gallup Livery
June 12, 9:30-11 a.m., $5/child, all ages welcome with an adult, preregistration required, Gallup Livery. Join us for our State's Free Fishing Weekend for Michigan offers some of the finest freshwater fishing with more than 36,350 miles of rivers and streams. Fishing poles, bait and instruction are provided so just bring your family and friends and let's go fishing!
Recreational Kayak II – Gallup Livery
June 14 and June 21, 5:30 to 8 p.m., $70/person/2 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. If you have some previous kayaking experience but want to learn proper safety and enhance basic strokes and techniques, this is the right class for you! A great next step after taking Recreational Kayak I. We provide all of the equipment so you can spend two days out on the Huron River with an instructor improving your confidence and skills in stillwater as well as current. 1st session: After some safety instruction, we'll head out on Gallup pond to practice basic strokes and improve maneuvers. 2nd session: Argo to Gallup river trip paddling down the cascades.
Night Paddles - Gallup Livery
June 17, July 22, or August 19, 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. $14-$18/boat, pre-registration required limited spaces. As the sun sets and the moon rises venture out to paddle a canoe or kayak in the night! Watch for deer, muskrats, herons, and other wildlife as you paddle your boat on the 2-mile Gallup Pond section of the Huron River.
36th Annual Huron River Day Festival - Gallup Park
Sunday, July 10, 12 to 4 p.m. Come celebrate the wonderful Huron River! Fun festival activities from 12 to 4 p.m. include $5 canoe/kayak rentals, children's activities, live animal programs, river exhibits, butterfly house, live music, food, fishing, stand up paddleboarding and much, much more. Ride your bike and receive a coupon for a free boat rental. Sponsored by DTE Energy Foundation.
River Women - Argo Livery
July 19, July 26, August 2, and August 9 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., $100/person/4 session course, ages 13-99, preregistration required. Come explore the Huron River in this ladies-only boating adventure! Each of the 4-sessions will allow you to try out a different boat and build more confidence on the water. 1st session: Kayak on Argo Pond and learn basic strokes and maneuvers all while building up your confidence kayaking. 2nd session: Come try out and receive instruction on Stand Up Paddleboarding to see the water in a whole new way. 3rd session: Learn some basic canoeing strokes and work with others to paddle around Argo Pond. 4th session: We will use our new boating skills to kayak through the cascades and down the Huron River.
Family Canoeing - Gallup Livery
August 16, 6-8 p.m., $ 14/person (children under 13 years old free), preregistration required. Gallup Pond provides a beautiful place to learn how to canoe as a family! Learn some boating safety and basic strokes from an instructor that will allow you to work together as a family to maneuver around the pond. All equipment and lifejackets will be provided for your evening of family fun!