Offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals, river-themed programs and a coffee shop. This award-winning park includes 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Coffee Shop offers concessions, ice cream and Zingerman's baked goods overlooking the river. Livery Brochure 2014.pdf
Paddle a boat in the river where there is little or no current on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond. Great for beginners and families; no van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go! Canoes and kayaks are two hour rentals therefore arrive at the livery at least two hours prior to our 7 p.m. closing time. Paddleboats are one hour rentals therefore arrive at the livery at least one hour prior to closing time.
Stillwater Boat Rentals at Gallup
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people
- 4 people allowed in canoe if you have 2 children with combined weight of < 100 lbs.
- Two-person kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person kayak and kid kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Stand Up Paddleboat (SUP): $18/boat, two hours
- Rowboat: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
- Paddleboat: $10/boat, 1 hour, maximum 3 people
River Trips at Gallup and Argo
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. We have over 500 boats and no boat rental reservations needed except for large groups. Determine which river trip you would like to go on, the location (Argo or Gallup) that offers the trip you've selected and rent your boats from that livery during the times the trip is offered. The Huron River is generally a calm and lazy river with a short section of drops and pools in the Argo Cascades.
Argo-to-Gallup River Trip - 1.5-hour, 3.7 mile trip
Our most popular trip with a paddle down the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades by kayak or raft, canoes are launched after the Cascades, and a nice current through beautiful parks. On weekends go to the Argo Livery and on weekdays go to the Gallup Livery for this river trip.
- Weekends: Start from Argo anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. with van ride back to Argo at the end of your trip
- Weekdays: Start from Gallup with a van ride at the top of the hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Argo-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $22/boat
- One-person kayak: $18/boat
- Five-person raft: $60/boat (raft trips take 2.5 hours so last trip is at
- Two-person canoe: $22/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Barton-to-Gallup Park River Trip - 5.7 miles, 2.5 hours
Spend more time on the river, our longest trip without a portage, with a lazy float through scenic Argo Pond, followed by the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades and ends with a paddle through beautiful river parks down to Gallup. Start this river trip at the Gallup Livery.
- Weekends: Start from
Gallup Livery leaving at the top of the hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Barton-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $28/boat
- One-person kayak: $24/boat
- Two-person canoe: $28/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Delhi-to-Argo Park River Trip - 7.1 miles, 4 hours
Your paddle starts with a river current for the first half hour and the remaining 3.5 hours of the trip does not have a current as you paddle through Barton Pond, portage around Argo Dam and continue on down through Argo Pond. Start this river trip at the
- Weekends: Start from
Argo Livery leaving at
Delhi-to-Argo boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $34/boat
- One-person kayak: $30/boat
- Two-person canoe: $34/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades but are available for the river trips launching at the end.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (+5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everybody must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
River Trip Policies
- No reservations - small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all but the busiest of days. Groups of 15 or more people please call Gallup 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times and longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather summer weekends, avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided, we have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Personal boat transports are available on weekdays only. Fee: subtract $10 from above river trip boat rental rates.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf, a parent/guardian signs for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave one deposit, either car keys or driver's license, for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site).
- Dogs are welcome!
Paddling tips for a safe and fun river experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles and Styrofoam coolers.
Map of Gallup Park. Fun Facts About the Huron River Fun_Huron_River_Facts.pdf.
Merchandise for sale at Argo and Gallup canoe liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale are: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps and more.
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience adventures on the river and teambuilding while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or a picnic. Call the Gallup Livery 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are only for groups of 15 or more people and can only be made during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make a reservation.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Combine your river adventure with fishing, natural science lessons and a multitude of river based topics. Available are canoes (maximum 3 people), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 4-6 person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Gallup Park Meeting Room
Available year round! Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom and WiFi. Combine room rental with boat rentals for a fun outing. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. Rental fees per hour are $40/hour A2 residents; $50/hour nonresidents.
Register or for more information call the Gallup Livery office 734.794.6240.
River Kids for Preschoolers - Gallup Livery
River fun for children ages 2-6 years w/caregiver. Each session is 4 weeks 1x/week from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Register for one or more month long sessions! Resident, $52; nonresident, $64 per child/month. Call Gallup to register for a sibling discount. River adventures with you and your little one! Enjoy the fall colors as we explore the river world by paddling a kayak, canoe or paddleboat on Gallup Pond. The children will experience the thrill of catching fish off the dock and discovering our river critters with boats, stories, art and play.
River Kid Sessions: Wednesdays, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22
Trick or Treat on the River - Gallup Livery
Sunday, Oct. 19, between noon and 5 p.m. at the Gallup Canoe Livery, fee: $18/boat, no preregistration required, all ages welcome (children must be one year or older). Spend the afternoon enjoying the haunting fall beauty of the Huron River and trick or treating by canoe or kayak. As you paddle up and down Gallup Pond you will encounter creatures handing out treats and candy. Bring a bag for the candy, dress up in your costume and keep an eye out for swamp monsters and pirates!