2017 River Programs - register online visit Rec 1 Registration System, call Gallup Park 734.794.6240 and view 2017 Activity Guide.pdf.
Gallup Park offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, kid kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals plus concessions, merchandise and river-themed programs. This award-winning park includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Park Livery also features WiFi, ice cream, baked goods and coffee with riverside seatig overlooking the river. We accept credit cards, cash or checks for payment. Dogs are welcome!
Argo Canoe Livery is our upstream location and offers different river trips, programs and boats.River Map.pdf
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families, no van ride needed, just jump in a boat and off you go. Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles. Last boat rented is 5 p.m. and all boats returned by 7 p.m.
Stillwater Paddle Hours - Closed for the season
Stillwater Boat Rental Fees
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people unless 2 children have combined weight of <100 lbs.
- Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person Kayak and Kid Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Rowboat: $24/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
- Paddleboat: $10/boat, one hour, maximum 3 people
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide a van shuttle upriver. The Argo Cascades has improved the river trip experience with the removal of a portage, the creation of small rapids and offers new river recreation with sit-on-top kayaks and rafts. Canoes bypass the cascades. No reservations taken except on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people. Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles.
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 1.5 hour, 3.7 mile trip
Argo to Gallup Schedule - Closed for the season
- Before Memorial Day weekend - weekdays begin at the Gallup Livery, weekends begin at the Argo Livery
Argo to Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $25/kayak
- One-person kayak: $20/kayak
- Two-person canoe: $25/canoe
- Five-person raft: $68/raft
Barton to Gallup River Trip - 2.5 hour, 5.7 mile trip
This trip starts at the Gallup Livery with a van ride upriver to Barton Park. A longer river trip that starts with a 2-mile paddle through Argo Pond, paddling down the fun Argo Cascades and ending with a relaxing paddle down the river current back to Gallup Park. This river trip always starts at the Gallup Canoe Livery.
Barton to Gallup Schedule - Closed for the season
Barton to Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $30/boat
- One-person kayak: $25/boat
- Canoes and rafts are not available for this trip
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo to Gallup and Barton to Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- Two-person kayaks, one-person kayaks, five-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades, but are available for the Argo to Gallup river trip launching at the end.
- Rented tubes are required to stay in the cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) so as to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Details
- No reservations! Only time reservations are taken is on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches
- Only ONE cooler per boat and styrofoam coolers are not permitted
- No alcohol or glass bottles of any kindWe provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome
Paddling Tips for a Safe and Fun River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles, and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale include: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps, and more.
Huron River Water Trail
The Huron River Water Trail is a 104-mile (167 km) inland paddling trail connecting people to the river's natural environment, its history and the communities it touches in Michigan. The Huron River Water Trail is a project of the Huron River Watershed Council and RiverUp! and is recognized as a National Water Trail Check out canoe art, improved portages, added landings and river signs on Ann Arbor's section of the river. Paddle the Huron River!
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are for groups of 15 or more people only and can only be made on weekdays during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people
maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Available all year! Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Rental fees: resident $40/hour; nonresident 50/hour. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also click here to find additional room rental information online.
Argo & Gallup Park 2017 River Programs - Registration begins Feb. 1
Argo River Camp: Completed 6th-8th Grades
Friends and fun on the coolest river around! Join us as we journey out each day paddling our boats down different sections of the beautiful Huron River. Our many explorations include kayaking, canoeing, stand up paddleboarding, tubing, rafting, fishing, geocaching, disc golf and a cookout. Argo River Camp is based out of a cabin and pavilion at the Argo Canoe Livery. Camp Fees: resident $225; nonresident $275. Camp Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Camp Sessions: June 19-23, June 26-30, July 3-7 (4 days), July 10-14 (just for girls), July 17-21, July 24-28, July 31-August 4, August 7-11, August 14-18, August 21-25
Gallup River Camp: Completed 1st-5th Grades
Explore the Huron River with boats and fishing for a week filled with learning, adventure, and fun! Experience perfect summer days as we kayak, canoe, paddleboat, fish, cookout, art, and play in wonderful Gallup Park. Campers will have a blast outside while gaining valuable boating and fishing skills paddling the pond and beyond. All ages have fun swimming at the pool and rafting or kayaking the cascades. Camp Fees: resident, $225; nonresident, $275. Camp Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Extended Camp: 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 to 6 p.m.; $50.
Gallup River Camp Explore - Completed 1st-5th Grades: June 19-23, July 3-7 (4 days), July 17-21, Jul 31-Aug. 4, Aug. 14-18, Aug. 28-Sept. 1
Gallup River Camp Adventure – Completed 3rd/4th/5th Grades: June 26-30, July 10-14, July 24-28, Aug. 7-11, Aug. 21-25
Special Activities at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries
River Kids – A Preschool Program in Gallup Park
Fun river programs for children ages 2-6 years w/caregiver. Each session is once per week for four weeks. Preregistration is required. Resident, $70; nonresident, $84 per child/month. Each week you and your little one will explore the river world by paddling a kayak, canoe or paddleboat on Gallup Pond. Experience the thrill of catching fish off the dock and discovering our river critters with boats, stories, art and play. May River Kid Sessions: Tuesdays, May 9, 16, 23, 30 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.or Wednesdays, May 10, 17, 24, 31 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. June River Kids Sessions: Mondays, June 5, 12, 19, 26 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Wednesdays, June 7, 14, 21, 28 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. July River Kid Sessions: Mondays, July 10, 17, 24, 31 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Tuesdays, July 11, 18, 25, Aug 1 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. August River Kid Sessions: Mondays, August 7, 14, 21, 28 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Wednesdays, August 9, 16, 23, 30 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Canoe and Kayak Auction - Gallup Livery
Saturday, May 6, noon at the Gallup Canoe Livery. This public auction of used and damaged boats features Michicraft aluminum canoes and Tribe 2-person kayaks. No preregistration.
Recreational Kayak I – Gallup Livery
June 6 or July 11, 5:30 to 8 p.m., $35/person/one session course, ages 13 and up, preregistration required. A kayak class will get you off to a great start on your river adventures. Learn basic strokes, techniques and safety before heading out to explore Gallup Pond with an instructor. We provide all of the equipment; and recreational kayaks are stable and easy to paddle so all will feel more confident on the water.
Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) – Argo Livery
June 8, June 29, or July 20, 5:30-8 p.m., $35/person/one session course, ages 13 and up, preregistration required. Stand-up Paddleboarding is fun, easy to learn and is a great workout out on beautiful Argo Pond. We provide the instruction, boards, paddles, and lifejackets.
Night Paddles - Gallup Livery
June 9, July 14, or August 4, 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. $14/one-person kayak, $18/two-person kayak or canoe, preregistration required, limited space. As the sun sets and the moon rises venture out to paddle a canoe or kayak in the night! Watch for wildlife as you paddle your boat on the two-mile Gallup Pond section of the Huron River.
Delhi to Argo River Trip – Argo Livery
June 11, July 16 or August 13, 9:30 a.m., $40/canoe or two-person kayak, $35/one-person kayak, preregistration required. The 7.1 mile Delhi Metropark to Argo Park River trip is a 4-hour adventure down the Huron River. Paddling through Barton Pond, portaging a historic dam and then paddling on down Argo Pond makes for a long and scenic river trip.
Red Fish Blue Fish Teach Kids to Fish - Gallup Livery
June 11, 9:30-11 a.m., $5/child, all ages welcome with an adult, preregistration required. Join us for our State's Free Fishing Weekend. Michigan offers some of the finest freshwater fishing with more than 36,350 miles of rivers and streams. Fishing poles, bait and instruction are provided; bring your family/friends and fish!
37th Annual Huron River Day Festival - Gallup Park
July 9, noon-4 p.m., free. Come celebrate the wonderful Huron River! Fun festival activities include $5 canoe/kayak rentals, children's activities, live animal programs, river exhibits, live music, food, fishing, stand up paddleboarding and much more. Ride your bike and receive a coupon for a free boat rental. Sponsored by DTE Energy Foundation.
River Women - Argo Livery
July 11, July 18, July 25, and August 1 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., $100/person/a four session course, ages 13 and up, preregistration required. Come explore the Huron River in this ladies-only boating adventure! Each of the 4-sessions will allow you to try out a different boat and have fun on the water. 1st session: Kayak on Argo Pond and learn basic strokes and maneuvers all while building up your confidence kayaking. 2nd session: Come try out and receive instruction on Stand-Up Paddleboarding to see the water in a whole new way. 3rd session: Learn some basic canoeing strokes and work with others to paddle around Argo Pond. 4th session: We will use our new boating skills to kayak through the Argo Cascades and down the river.