Gallup Park offers canoe, two-person kayak, one-person kayak, paddleboat, and rowboat rentals, river-themed programs, and a coffee shop. This award-winning park includes a 3.25-mile asphalt trail, fishing, public boat launch, playgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, nature areas, and an indoor room available for rent all year. The Gallup Coffee Shop offers concessions, ice cream, and Zingerman's baked goods overlooking the river. We accept credit cards, cash or checks for payment. Dogs are welcome!
Gallup Park Meeting Room Rental
Rent the picturesque indoor meeting room for your next meeting or party. Available all year! Features include windows and patio overlooking the Huron River, seating for up to 40 people, kitchenette, accessible restroom, and WiFi. Rental fees are $40/hour for Ann Arbor residents and $50/hour for nonresidents with a 2-hour minimum. Call 734.794.6240 for more information or to reserve the room. You can also click here to find additional room rental information online.
Paddle a boat
on 2.5-mile Gallup Pond where there is little or no current. Great for beginners and families. No van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go! Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles. Last boat rented is 5 p.m. and all boats returned by 7 p.m.
Stillwater Paddle Hours
Stillwater Boat Rental Fees
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people unless 2 children have combined weight of <100 lbs.
- Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person Kayak and Kid Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Rowboat: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 5 people
- Paddleboat: $10/boat, one hour, maximum 3 people
- Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP): $20/boat, two hours, at Gallup in fall only
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide a van shuttle upriver. The Argo Cascades has improved the river trip experience with the removal of a portage, the creation of small rapids and offers new river recreation with sit-on-top kayaks and rafts. Canoes bypass the cascades. No reservations taken except on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people. Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, only ONE cooler per boat, styrofoam coolers are not permitted and no alcohol or glass bottles.
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 1.5 hour, 3.7 mile trip
Argo to Gallup Schedule - Closed for the season
Argo to Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $25/kayak
- One-person kayak: $20/kayak
- Two-person canoe: $25/canoe
- Five-person raft: $68/raft
Barton to Gallup River Trip - 2.5 hour, 5.7 mile trip
This trip starts at the Gallup Livery with a van ride upriver to Barton Park. A longer river trip that starts with a 2-mile paddle through Argo Pond, paddling down the fun Argo Cascades and ending with a relaxing paddle down the river current back to Gallup Park. This river trip always starts at the Gallup Canoe Livery.
Barton-to-Gallup Schedule - Closed for the season
Barton to Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $30/boat
- One-person kayak: $25/boat
- Canoes and rafts are not available for this trip
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades, but are available for the Argo-to-Gallup river trip launching at the end.
- Rented tubes are required to stay in the cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) so as to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Details
- No reservations! Only time reservations are taken is on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- New in 2016 maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches
- Only ONE cooler per boat and styrofoam coolers are not permitted
- No alcohol or glass bottles of any kindWe provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome
Paddling Tips for a Safe and Fun River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles, and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries
Concessions and river-related items for sale include: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps, and more.
Huron River Water Trail
The Huron River Water Trail is a 104-mile (167 km) inland paddling trail connecting people to the river's natural environment, its history and the communities it touches in Michigan. The Huron River Water Trail is a project of the Huron River Watershed Council and RiverUp! and is recognized as a National Water Trail Check out canoe art, improved portages, added landings and river signs on Ann Arbor's section of the river. Paddle the Huron River!
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are for groups of 15 or more people only and can only be made on weekdays during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people
maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Argo & Gallup Park 2016 Programs -
Some programs require preregistration. Online registration www.a2gov.org/parks, more information www.a2gov.org/canoe, or call Gallup Park 734.794.6240. Registration for the 2017 programs and camps begins on Febuary 1, 2017.