Argo Canoe Livery
Located at the Argo Cascades and features canoes, one-person kayaks, two-person kayaks, five-person rafts, tubes and stand up paddleboard rentals in a quiet natural setting. Also offered are concessions, river merchandise and river themed programs. Paddle with us for a fun river trip enjoying outdoor adventures with friends and family! Livery Brochure 2014.pdf
The Argo Livery is now closed for the season therefore go to the Gallup Livery for all stillwater and river trip paddles. Paddle a boat in the river where there is little or no current in 2-mile Argo Pond. Great for beginners and families; no van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go!
Stillwater Boat Rentals at Argo - Argo is now closed, please go to the Gallup Livery for all boat rentals
- Canoe: $18/boat, two hours, maximum 3 people
- 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children with combined weight of <100 lbs.
- Two-person kayak: $18/boat, two hours
- One-person kayak: $14/boat, two hours
- Stand-up Paddleboards(SUP): $18/boat, two hours
River Trips at Gallup
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. We have over 500 boats and no boat rental reservations needed except for large groups. Determine which river trip you would like to go on, the location (Argo or Gallup) that offers the trip you've selected and rent your boats from that livery during the times and days of the week the trip is offered. The Huron River is generally a calm and lazy river with a short section of drops and pools in the Argo Cascades.
Argo-to-Gallup River Trip - 1.5-hour, 3.7 mile trip, now starts at Gallup
Start your river trip at the Gallup Livery and we provide the van transportation upriver to Argo to start your trip. The Argo Livery is closed for the season.
- Start from Gallup Livery leaving on-the-hour every hour between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to drive you upriver to begin your trip.
- Available 7 days/week from the Gallup Livery weather dependent, please call the Gallup Livery 734.794.6240 to confirm we are open.
- On cold fall days you can choose to be dropped off before or after the cascades in your canoe or kayak.
Argo-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $22/boat
- One-person kayak: $18/boat
- Two-person canoe: $22/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Barton-to-Gallup Park River Trip - 5.7 miles, 2.5 hours, closed for season
Spend more time on the river, our longest trip without a portage, with a lazy float through scenic Argo Pond, followed by the drops and pools of the Argo Cascades and ending with a paddle through beautiful river parks down to Gallup.
Barton-to-Gallup boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $28/boat
- One-person kayak: $24/boat
- Two-person canoe: $28/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.)
Delhi-to-Argo Park River Trip - 7.1 miles, 4 hours, closed for the season
Your paddle starts with a river current for the first half hour and the remaining 3.5 hours of the trip does not have a current as you paddle through Barton Pond, portage around Argo Dam and continue on down through Argo Pond.
- No longer available for the Argo Canoe Livery is closed for the 2014 season.
Delhi-to-Argo boat rental rates
- Two-person kayak: $34/boat
- One-person kayak: $30/boat
- Two-person canoe: $34/boat (3rd person in canoe >12 years old $10 fee, 4 people allowed in canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of < 100 lbs.
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes do not go down the Argo Cascades but are available for the river trips launching at the end.
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (+5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everybody must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
River Trip Details & Policies:
- No reservations - small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all but the busiest of days. Groups of 15 or more people please call Gallup 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times and longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather summer weekends, avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided, we have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Personal boat transports are available on weekdays only. Fee: subtract $10 from above river trip boat rental rates.
- All boaters are required to sign a risk waiver Gallup_Risk_Waiver.pdf, a parent/guardian signs for children younger than 16 years old.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave one deposit, either car keys or driver's license, for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site).
- Dogs are welcome!
Paddling tips for an enjoyable river experience:
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries:
Concessions & river related items for sale are: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps and more.
Enjoy hiking river parks. Argo_Nature_Area_Maps.pdf and Barton_Park_Map.pdf. Fun Facts About the Huron River Fun_Huron_River_Facts.pdf.
Tubing Argo Cascades - now closed for the season
Float down the Argo Cascades, walk back to the top and repeat the fun! One-person per tube, 8 years and above, shoes required and no coolers. Tubes are just for use in the cascades and do not go down the river to Gallup Park. People average three to four tube rides down the cascades in a two hour rental. No van transportaton provided for tube rentals. Lockers are available for personal belongings.
Tubing at the Argo Canoe Livery is closed for the season
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience adventures on the river and teambuilding while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or a picnic. Call the Gallup Livery 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages and skills.
Group River Trip Details
Reservations are only for groups of 15 or more people and can only be made during non peak times. If your group is less than 15 people just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. To make a group reservation please call the Gallup Livery office 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip.
School Group River Trips & Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (maximum 3 people), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 4-6 person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Recreation Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Public Programs Register online
Trick or Treat Paddle on the River is Sunday, October 19 from 12 to 5 p.m. at the Gallup Livery. For more information call our office 734.794.6240 or visit the Gallup Livery webpage.