Argo Canoe Livery
The Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries are now closed for the season. See you in April 2016!
The Argo Livery is located at the Argo Cascades and features canoes, one-person kayaks, two-person kayaks, five-person rafts, tubes, and stand up paddleboard rentals in a quiet natural setting. Also offered are concessions, river merchandise, and river themed programs. Paddle with us for a fun river trip enjoying outdoor adventures with friends and family!
Stillwater Paddles - closed for season
Paddle a boat in the river where there is little or no current in 2-mile Argo Pond. Great for beginners and families. No van ride needed; just jump in a boat and go!
Three-person Canoe: $18/boat, two hours
Two-person Kayak: $18/boat, two hours
One-person Kayak: $14/boat, two hours
Stand Up Paddleboards (SUP): $20/boat, two hours
River Trips - closed for season
Paddle down the Huron River and we provide the van transportation upriver. No reservations except for groups of 15 or more people on weekdays only.
Argo-to-Gallup River Trip - 1.5-hour, 3.7 mile trip
Closed for the season
Argo-to-Gallup Boat Rental Fees
- Two-person kayak: $25/boat
- One-person kayak: $20/boat
- Two-person canoe: $25/boat (third person in canoe >12 years old, $10 fee)
- Five-person raft: $6/raft
Tubing Argo Cascades - closed for season
Float down the Argo Cascades, walk back to the top and repeat the fun! One-person per tube, ages 8 years and above. Shoes required. No coolers. Tubes are just for use in the cascades and do not go down the river to Gallup Park. People average three to four tube rides down the cascades in a two-hour rental. No van transportation provided for tube rentals or personal tubes. Lockers are available for personal belongings.
Tube Rental Fee
- $10/tube, 2-hour rental, Argo Canoe Livery
River Trip Details
- River trips Argo-to-Gallup and Barton-to-Gallup go through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, 5-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup Park.
- Canoes do not go through the Argo Cascades, but are available for the Argo-to-Gallup river trip launching at the end of the cascades.
Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on (if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again).
River Trip Policies:
- No reservations! Small groups and individuals can be accommodated without any problems on all but the busiest of days.
- Groups of 15 or more people can make reservations on weekdays only, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240.
Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is midday on nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from infant to adult XL.
Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
4 people allowed in the canoe if 2 children have the combined weight of less than 100 lbs otherwise 3 people in a canoe
Tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades and do not go down the river to Gallup.
We do not provide personal boat transports.
All boaters are required to sign a risk waiverGallup_risk_waiver.pdf. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
Alcohol is not allowed.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the hourly rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
Dogs are welcome!
Paddling Tips for an Enjoyable River Experience
What you should bring on the river: shoes that can get wet, sunscreen, water or other beverages to keep you hydrated on hot days, quick drying clothes, clothing that fits the weather, and dry bags to keep your belongings safe and dry. Not allowed on the river: alcohol, glass bottles and Styrofoam coolers.
Merchandise for Sale at Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries:
Concessions and river related items for sale are: hot and cold beverages, chips, candy, water shoes, dry bags/containers, hats, t-shirts, sunglasses, eye glass cords, sunscreen, stickers, nets, fishing poles, worms, trail maps and more.
Enjoy Hiking River Parks:
Argo Nature Area map (PDF) and
Barton Park map (PDF)
Parking at Argo on Weekends
Argo Canoe Livery is busy on nice weather weekends and parking is limited, please carpool or walk! We've improved parking options by adding offsite parking with a parking shuttle on busy summer weekends and holidays at the Argo Livery. argo_parking_shuttle_map.pdf. Have your own tube? On busy summer weekends follow the signs on Plymouth Road and park in the 900 Wall Street shuttle lot for a short walk to the Argo Cascades.
Group River Trips
Bring your family, friends, work or school groups out boating on the Huron River! Come experience a teambuilding adventure on the river while discovering the great outdoors and having fun with your group. Groups may also rent a picnic shelter or indoor room to combine a paddle trip with a party or picnic. Call the Gallup Livery at 734.794.6240 to make a reservation for this unique activity for all ages.
Group River Trip Details
Group boat reservations are available on weekdays only and for groups of
15 or more people. If your group is less than 15 people, just come in and we can accommodate you on all but the busiest of days for we have hundreds of boats. Call the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240 at least two weeks prior to your trip to make your weekday reservation.
School Group River Trips and Programs
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration in boats on the Huron River. Available are canoes (3 people maximum), 2-person kayaks, 1-person kayaks, kayaks for kids, 5-person rafts, paddles, lifejackets, boating instructions, and staff to help with or lead your river adventure. Join us for fun river education and recreation! Call Facility Supervisor Cheryl Saam at 734.794.6240 for further information and reduced boat rental fees.
Argo & Gallup Park Programs -
Register now for a river-themed program!
River Programs at Argo & Gallup Park Liveries