The production, processing, packaging, and transportation of food is highly dependent on the use of fossil fuels and chemical fertilizers. These can greatly harm our health and the health of the environment.
A2ZERO envisions a food system that provides healthy, sustainable choices, minimizes environmental impacts, and serves as a model for the broader public health community. As a consumer, you have power to make a difference by considering the impact of your choices. Opting for local, healthy, environmentally responsible food helps promote both personal health and the overall health of the community.
Sustainable food systems operate in a cycle of sustainable production and support. Farmers can make their food more sustainable by limiting pesticide use and treating their animals humanely and responsibly. Consumers can select food produced close to home and reduce the impact of our food system on the environment by lessening the distance food travels from farm to table.
You can be a part of the sustainable foods movement by choosing foods that:
- Do not harm the environment. Consider organic when possible and definitely when buying one of the dirty dozen.
- Support and preserve rural communities.
- Are healthy and nutritious.
- Respect farm animals.
- Provide farmers with fair wages.
- Are free of added toxins.
- Are grown locally.
- Do not harm the health of farm workers.
- Are in season.
- That have minimize packaging.
Find out more about sustainable food options by checking out these resources: