July 31, 2019 - The City of Ann Arbor has good news for residents planning home renovations or remodeling. Starting Tuesday, Aug. 6, the city's construction and building department will offer expedited permitting on Tuesdays (11 a.m.-1 p.m.) and Thursdays (2-4 p.m.) for *residential home projects.
*Residential remodel projects acceptable for expedited review include:
- Bathrooms | Kitchens | Basements.
- Decks for egress out of the home.
- Home remodels with limited structural changes.
- Remodels/repairs for flooding.
Residents can come in with their complete plans and sign up to meet one-on-one with a plan reviewer at Larcom City Hall. The city emphasizes that this process is for the review of an existing, complete plan; it is not a meeting to plan a design. This process also does not include additions, accessory structures, new homes, residential projects with a considerable amount of structural changes and commercial projects.
The applicant, contractor or owner will have the ability to correct the plans onsite as needed, and a permit will be issued while they wait. However, there may be instances where information cannot be provided/corrected, and the permit will be issued at a later date after the plans have been amended.
Those wishing to take advantage of the expedited permitting process should follow these steps.
- Go to the building department on the first floor of Larcom City Hall, 301 E. Huron St., Ann Arbor. On-street or lot parking is located off of Ann Street, east of Fifth Avenue.
- Sign in on the signup sheet. Reviews will be called in the order of arrival, time permitting.
- The city will complete as many expedited reviews as possible and approximates the first 30 reviews will be done during the allotted time on Tuesday or Thursday.
- Upon satisfactory review and approval, the resident will wait while the permit is issued.
This is only an in-house permitting process. Mailed or emailed projects will be reviewed in the normal issuance of permits.
Questions can be directed to the city building department during regular hours, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m., at 734.794.6263 | firstname.lastname@example.org | or by visiting www.a2gov.org/building.
# # # # #