Water Treatment

Ann Arbor Water Treatment Plant Stairwell Mural

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Water Treatment » Ann Arbor Water Treatment Plant Stairwell Mural
 
​The City of Ann Arbor is seeking an artist(s) to create and complete a painted mural in the stairwell of the Ann Arbor Water Treatment​ Plant (WTP) Administration Building.  The stairwell is approximately 8’W x 18’L x 21’H.  The award will be for $17,000. Work shall be completed by June 15, 2022 or earlier.  First application deadline is July 31, 2021. ​

Ann Arbor's Drinking Water Treatment Plant was originally constructed in 1938 and has undergone numerous expansions and improvements since.  Ann Arbor's primary source of raw water (approximately 80%) is the Huron River, which is impounded by the Barton Dam originally constructed in 1912.  The remaining raw water sources, about 20%, comes from ground water wells.  

​As a way of educating the public about how the city collects and treats it's drinking water, the city conducts extensive public outreach. This outreach includes a water plant open house each May​.  Additionally, the WTP provides tours to schools throughout southeast Michigan.  ​The tours highlight the history of the WTP, its raw water sources, its treatment processes and our commitment to delivering safe drinking water exceeding all regulatory requirements. Over the course of a year, more than 2000 community members visit the City's water treatment plant. 

The stairwell resides in a highly trafficked location in the water plant and will serve as a dramatic space for the proposed mural.  Additionally, the mural shall become part of the city's public art program through the Ann Arbor Public Art Commission, giving the mural wider visibility.

The stairwell in the Administration Building is highly visible to public visitors in two ways:
WTP stairwell 1.jpg

  1. It is used by visitors to access the second floor of the plant where the Environmental Lab is located for testing of water samples and other support.

  2. It is situated at the beginning of all water treatment plant tours.


​Please send all correspondence to: [email protected] by 11:59pm on or before July 31, 2021. Artists are encouraged to contact the Ann Arbor WTP at 734.994-2840 to confirm receipt of applications.​​