Update: The upcoming Memorial Day holiday on Monday, May 30, will result in delay of the City of Ann Arbor's trash, recycling and compost collection. Monday pickups will instead occur on Tuesday, and the rest of the collections will occur one day later throughout the week. The normal Friday routes will be serviced on Saturday, June 4. Commercial customers with weekly Saturday service through the city franchise with Waste Management will receive Saturday pickups without delays.
Recycling is easy. Weekly recycling collection is available to every home, apartment, non-profit and business located with the City of Ann Arbor for no additional charge.
Cart recycling guide
- Mixed paper – newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, office paper, cardboard, frozen food and cereal-type boxes
- Metal cans
- Glass bottles and jars, remove tops
- Cleaned plastic bottles, containers and tubs (screw on caps: keep on, flat plastic lids: throw away)
- "Aseptic" and "Tetrapak" cartons. These are typically used for milk, juice, soymilk, chicken broth, almond milk, etc.
*Keep caps on plastic, remove from glass
- Plastic bags or film
- #3, 4, 6, and 7 plastics
- Biodegradable plastics (marked “PLA” or “BPI”)
- Batteries & Electronics
- Light bulbs
- Toxic materials such as motor oil
- Medical waste, syringes
- Hardcover books
- Ceramics or pyrex dishes
- Wood or construction debris
- Paper cups
- Yard trimmings or plate scrapings
- Shredded paper
*These items can be taken to the Drop-Off Station
. See their website for restrictions and additional recycling details.
Carts must not exceed 112 pounds for the 32-gallon, 224 pounds for the 64-gallon or 336 pounds for the 96-gallon size. Carts over the limit will not be serviced.
Recycling carts are required unless location is using an approved recycling dumpster for materials. All recycling carts are managed by the city.
Multi-family and apartments
- 96-gallon recycle carts are provided at a pro-rated level based on number of residential units.
- Annual $176 fee for each additional recycle cart.
- Locations with 10+ units are required to use recycling dumpsters.
- $122 for extra tips for recycle dumpsters serviced by the city.
*Carts exceeding 112 pounds for the 32-gallon, 224 pounds for the 64-gallon, or 336 pounds for the 96-gallon size will not be serviced.
The city can assist your businesses recycling program by,
- Performing a recycling analysis to determine how to set up a recycling program
- Providing posters, decals and signs
- Setting up a recycling program, including placement of bins and signage
- Presentations to staff on how and what can be recycled
For more information on this service, please contact Jennifer Petoskey, solid waste compliance and outreach specialist, at [email protected]
or 734.794.6350 x 43317.
Reuse and bulky item disposal
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! The biggest savings to the environment in terms of resource use, energy savings, and pollution reduction come from reduced purchasing, thrifty purchasing (avoiding consumer waste) and reusing/repairing items before recycling.