Curbside recycling guide
Recycle Ann Arbor has an interactive A to Z recycling guide that offers a search function for what can be recycled and how to recycle it.
Below are some examples of what can and cannot be recycled in the carts:
- Paper, such as newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, office paper, cardboard (must be flattened), frozen food boxes and cereal-type boxes
- Metal cans
- Glass bottles and jars, remove tops
- Cleaned plastic bottles, containers and tubs (screw on caps: keep on, flat plastic lids: throw away)
- "Aseptic" and "Tetrapak" cartons. These are typically used for milk, juice, soymilk, chicken broth, almond milk, etc.
*Keep caps on plastic, remove from glass. Clean recyclables only. Do not bag.
- Plastic bags or film*
- #3, 4, 6, and 7 plastics
- Biodegradable plastics (marked “PLA” or “BPI”)
- Light bulbs*
- Toxic materials such as motor oil
- Medical waste, syringes
- Scrap metal (auto parts, pieces of equipment)*
- Hardcover books*
- Ceramics or pyrex dishes
- Wood or construction debris*
- Paper cups
- Yard trimmings or plate scrapings
- Shredded paper*
*These items can be taken to the Drop-Off Station
. See their website for restrictions and additional recycling details.
Carts must not exceed 112 pounds for the 32-gallon, 224 pounds for the 64-gallon or 336 pounds for the 96-gallon size. Carts over the limit will not be serviced.
Recycling carts are required unless location is using an approved recycling dumpster for materials. All recycling carts are managed by the city.
The first 32- or 64-gallon recycling cart is free to new construction or newly annexed properties (land newly obtained by the City of Ann Arbor).
$56 fee for the delivery of additional carts, return of unwanted carts, or cart exchanges.
$24 to power wash overly dirty or foul smelling returned carts.
$70 to return to service each cart not set out on time.
Multi-family and apartments
96-gallon recycle carts are provided based on number of residential units
Locations with 10+ units are required to use recycling dumpsters.
$126 for an extra emptying of recycle dumpsters serviced by the city.
*Carts exceeding 112 pounds for the 32-gallon, 224 pounds for the 64-gallon, or 336 pounds for the 96-gallon size will not be serviced.
The city can assist your businesses recycling program by,
Performing a recycling analysis to determine how to set up a recycling program
Providing posters, decals and signs
Setting up a recycling program, including placement of bins and signage
Presentations to staff on how and what can be recycled
For more information on this service, please contact Customer Service.
Go back up to the top