The city provides once a week curbside trash cart collection to all single-family and duplex residential locations in Ann Arbor. Carts must be stored at the side or rear of the dwelling and not placed at the curb more than 24 hours ahead of time. Empty carts must be removed from the curb within 12 hours of service. Some
holidays may delay service.
Apartments and other multi-family locations: The city provides once a week service to dumpsters. Owners must purchase and maintain their own dumpsters. The city does not service wheeled trash dumpsters.
Residents and multi-family buildings can order trash carts by contacting Customer Service at 734.994.2807 or by visiting the first floor of Larcom City Hall located at 301 E. Huron St. weekdays 7:30 a.m.– 5:30 p.m.
- The first 32- or 64-gallon trash cart is free to new construction or newly annexed property.
- $25 delivery fee for additional carts or replacements.
- $25 service fee to return an unwanted cart.
- $139 for cart exchanges of the same size or larger.
- $35 can be assessed to power wash overly dirty or foul smelling returned carts.
- Additional trash carts at same address are $137/year, which is added to quarterly water bill.
- $53 to service carts not set out on time.
Multi-family and apartments:
- 96-gallon trash carts are provided at a pro-rated level based on number of residential units.
- Annual $137/year fee for additional trash carts.
- Locations with 10+ units are required to use trash dumpsters.
- $81 for extra tips for dumpsters serviced by the City.
- Extra tips for dumpsters serviced by the
franchise are available for a
*Carts exceeding 112 pounds for the 32-gallon, 224 pounds for the 64-gallon, or 336 pounds for the 96-gallon size will not be serviced.
Not Allowed In Trash Carts or Dumpsters:
Items that may damage equipment pose a safety threat to service staff or the environment or are regulated by the state or Federal government may not be placed in trash, compost or recycling containers serviced by the City. These include:
- Anything that won't fit in a cart/dumpster with the lid closed (large items like furniture, mattresses, appliances, etc. will not be picked up if left at the curb and you could be fined).
Televisions, computers and other electronics
- Appliances that contain Freon (freon removal is provided for fee at Recycle Ann Arbor's Drop-Off Station)
- Hot ashes from fireplaces or grills.
- yard waste (dispose of yard waste in compost carts)
- liquids, including used motor oil
- lead acid batteries
- radioactive and/or hazardous waste (including asbestos)
- Items that can be recycled
- heavy metal parts
- fuel and propane tanks
- automobile, truck or other vehicular parts
- concrete or cement
- railroad ties
- logs over 6 inches in diameter
- tree stumps
Household Toxics such as oil paints, pesticides, solvents, weed killers, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, mercury thermometers, photography and pool chemicals, and other products labeled Danger, Warning, Poison, Flammable or Corrosive. Never discard these items in the trash or flush down the drain. Use them up as described on the label and discard empty container as refuse or deliver partially unused containers to the
Washtenaw County Home Toxics Center.
Commercial trash carts within the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) are assigned to specific businesses and emptied three times a week. The cost billed to the business is $51 per month, invoiced quarterly. For information on DDA trash (and free recycling and compost) carts, please contact the Customer Service Center, 734.794.6320, email@example.com.
The City of Ann Arbor has entered into a franchise agreement with Waste Management of Michigan to collect refuse dumpsters and roll-off containers from commercial, industrial, and institutional sites throughout Ann Arbor. Participation in the franchise is required. Waste Management can be contacted at: 800.796.9696
Learn more about
business trash services.
Please refer to this
site plan guide (PDF) to assist you in submitting site plans to the City for approval.