<-back to dashboard
Climate and Energy includes goals that relate to Ann Arbor’s consumption of energy and the impact these consumption patterns have on our environment. Climate and Energy goals target reducing greenhouse gas emissions, seeking sustainable sources of energy, and lowering energy consumption communitywide.
What are the goals?
Sustainable Energy - Improve access to and increase use of
renewable energy by all members of our community
Energy Conservation - Reduce energy consumption and eliminate net greenhouse gas emissions in our community
Sustainable Buildings - Reduce new and existing buildings’ energy use, carbon impact and construction waste, while respecting community context
What way cool projects are underway?
- The Ecology Center, the Huron River Watershed Council, the City of Ann Arbor, along with a growing list of other partners are coordinating a plan to implement Ann Arbor's Climate Action Plan.
- Ann Arbor is working with Clean Energy Coalition to investigate ways to create options for solar across the community.
Solar at the Housing Commission
- The Ann Arbor Housing Commission is exploring options for solar installations and community solar at its public housing sites.
Wind Energy Education
- With funding from a Department of Energy grant, the City of Ann Arbor is partnering with the Hands on Museum to create an education and outreach effort focused on wind energy.
- The first round of PACE financing funded over $500,000 in local energy efficiency projects. Now, the second round is underway and is accepting applications. Interested in applying?
Sign up to learn more about PACE.
Greening Rental Housing
- Ann Arbor's housing stock is 55.2 percent rental housing, which accounts for approximately 29.5 million dollars in energy costs annually. With $40,000 in seed funding from the University of Michigan Dow Distinguished Awards for Sustainability, the City launched the
a2energy Loan Fund for Rental Housing to help fund energy-related improvements in one-to-four unit rental properties across Washtenaw County.