Ann Arbor has been rethinking waste by taking a fresh look at recycling, trash and compost operations in the City. This strategic approach to future solid waste services has resulted in the creation of a new Solid Waste Resource Management Plan (SWRMP), which is meant to set the direction of solid waste operations in Ann Arbor in the years to come.
What is happening
In collaboration with a consultant team, City staff are engaging a range of stakeholders to develop the SWRMP to ensure the needs and interests of the community are met. The SWRMP planning process has been designed to include of a range of perspectives through a multifaceted approach that involves:
- A random, scientific survey of Ann Arbor residents (planned for winter 2019)
- Interviews with key stakeholders, including community groups, business associations, waste and recycling service providers, and City staff (completed July/August 2018)
- An Advisory Committee comprised of stakeholders and other interested community members (Advisory Committee formed in September 2018).
- Focus Group engagement to explore select issues of interest, including downtown alleys and student residents (completed fall 2018)
- Meetings with the City's Environmental Commission (periodic throughout the project)
Using insights from stakeholders, in combination with the collection and careful consideration of data, strategies will be developed to address key service areas including:
- Residential waste, recycling, and organics collection
- Commercial waste, recycling, and organics collection
- Downtown alley services
- Fats, oils, and grease collection and disposal
- Regionalization options
- Education and outreach
Where are we now?
Work on the SWRMP commenced in May 2018 and a draft of the plan is now complete. Materials from and videos from the Advisory Committee Meetings are posted below in addition to materials that have been provided to the Environmental Commission and City Council.
Meeting documents, materials and video
Sept. 9, 2019 City Council work session
Aug. 22, 2019 Environmental Commission meeting
Aug. 13, 2019 Advisory Committee meeting
May 21, 2019 Advisory Committee meeting
April 25, 2019 Environmental Commission meeting
April 23, 2019 Advisory Committee meeting
Jan. 15, 2019 Advisory Committee meeting
Nov. 14, 2018 Advisory Committee meeting