Having your vehicle towed and impounded is unpleasant, regardless of the reason. The below information explains what to expect and how to redeem your vehicle, general first steps and tips:
- Verify your vehicle has been towed by calling Washtenaw County Metro Dispatch at 734.994.2911.
- Redeem your vehicle as soon as possible. Storage fees accumulate on a daily basis, regardless of the reason that it was towed and impounded. All towing and storage fees are paid directly to the towing company.
- Approved towing companies are open 24 hours a day/seven days a week for you to redeem your vehicle.
- If your vehicle has been towed from private property, the city has no involvement. Call the tow company directly.
- If your vehicle was towed by the City of Ann Arbor, and you wish to contest the towing of your vehicle or the reasonableness of the towing and impound fees, you must file a form petition with the court requesting a hearing. Contact the 15th District Court for the form petition: 734.794.6752, located on the fourth floor of the Ann Arbor Justice Center at 301 E. Huron St.
To Redeem a Vehicle Towed from Private Property and Impounded
By city ordinance, it is unlawful to park a vehicle on private property without the property owner's consent ("vehicle trespass"). If you have done this, and you find your vehicle missing, the private property owner may have authorized a towing company to tow and impound your vehicle. If so, the towing company must report the vehicle identification information to Washtenaw County Metro Dispatch at 734.994.2911 for entry into the computerized Law Enforcement Information Network so that its status and location can be determined when the vehicle owner appears to redeem the vehicle.
- Call Washtenaw County Metro Dispatch at 734.994.2911. If your vehicle was towed from private property at the property owner's request, it is not necessary to appear in person at the police front desk nor do you make any payments at Larcom City Hall.
- Dispatch staff will inform you where your vehicle is impounded and how to get there.
- Take enough money with you to the towing company to pay all towing and impound fees to redeem your vehicle. You will also need your driver's license and vehicle registration.
Redeeming a Towed Vehicle Due to Outstanding Parking Tickets
- Bring your driver's license and vehicle registration to the police front desk, located on the second floor of the Ann Arbor Justice Center at 301 E. Huron St.
- Pay the amount shown on the warrant for outstanding parking tickets. You may pay for outstanding tickets related to the tow at the Police Front Desk, at Larcom City Hall in the customer service center located on the first floor, or
payments may also be made online. Do not pay towing related tickets by U.S. Mail, or in the City payment drop boxes.
- You may file a motion at the 15th District Court to contest the tickets, which will require the posting of a bond equal to the amount owed, but it will not release your vehicle from impound if this avenue is pursued.
- Police staff will give you directions to the towing company. You must take the receipt showing that you paid the outstanding tickets and enough money with you to the towing company to pay all towing and impound fees to redeem your vehicle.
Vehicle auctions are now handled by the
Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Department.