The community standards unit of the Ann Arbor Police Department serves an integral role in maintaining the quality of life in Ann Arbor. This unit has primary responsibility to enforce the city codes and ordinances that protect the public health, welfare and safety of the residents. All complaints remain confidential and will be handled in a professional and courteous manner.
The community standards unit will enforce the following:
- Improperly stored solid waste containers.
- Solid waste containers stored on public property.
- Containers placed on the curb 24 hours before collection day.
- Containers left on the curb 12 hours after collection day.
- Refuse receptacles for sidewalk cafes and vendors.
- Refuse receptacles for solicitors and peddlers.
- Grass on private property in excess of 12 inches.
- Grass on lawn extensions in excess of 12 inches and other ground cover vegetation in an average height of 36 inches.
- Trees and other vegetation intruding upon the public right of way.
- Trees and other vegetation on public property creating sight hazards at intersections.
Vehicles and parking
- Vehicles parking in the yard.
- Inoperative and unregistered vehicles on private property.
- Parking of trailers, boats, campers, and similar vehicles in residential zones.
- Parking of commercially licensed vehicles in residential zones.
- Parking violations as listed under Chapter 126 of the city code.
- Snow and ice on public sidewalks.
- Sidewalk café occupancy.
- Vendors on public property.
- Signs in the public right of way.
- Solicitors and peddlers properly displaying their license.
- Soliciting on public and private property.
- Sidewalk and alley litter and debris adjacent to businesses within the city. Posted notices and handbills.
- Excessive accumulation of newspapers on private property.
- Trash accumulation on private property.
- Abandoned refrigerators.
Copies of these city ordinances may be obtained by contacting the city clerk’s office at 734.794.6140 or online at
Ann Arbor Code of Ordinances.
To file a community standards complaint, please call 734.794.6942, or email
To report potholes, street light outages, traffic signal issues, graffiti on public property and missing or damaged street signs, please use the
Report a Problem page or the
A2 Fix It App.