Zoning Administration

Reports and Fees

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Planning » Zoning Administration » Reports and Fees

​​​​​​Zoning Reports

The following zoning reports can be compiled upon request for properties within the City of Ann Arbor. A fee is charged to cover staff time. To request a report, complete the form in the link below and mail with payment to Planning​ Services, P.O. Box 8647, Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8647 or email to Planning@a2gov.org. Please allow one week for completion of the report.

Zoning Information/Zoning Analysis Report Application (PDF)

Zoning Information Report: includes zoning classification (base and overlay districts, frontage designation), allowable use (permitted, special exception, nonconforming, not permitted), parcel requirements, floodplain category, historic district information, and open zoning violations. Fee = $100.00.
Zoning Analysis Report: includes information provided in zoning confirmation report, plus special exception use approval, site plan approvals and modifications, variances, site plan compliance (if existing condition surveys have been provided by the applicant for analysis), and responses to specific zoning questions.  Fee = $200.00.
Information relate​​d to building inspection history, certificates of occupancy, or rental housing inspection reports can be obtained by submitting a Freedom of Information Act request to the City’s FOIA Coordinator.

Zoning Compliance Permits

City Code requires a zoning review of building permit applications to make sure construction and reoccupancy changes are consistent with the Zoning Ordinance.  This review is handled by Planning staff as part of the building permit application.

The following construction pr​​ojects do not require a building permit, but require a zoning compliance permit.

  • Freestanding decks under 200 square feet

To obtain a permit for a fence, deck, or shed, complete a Zoning Compliance Permit Application for Construction (PDF).

Zoning compliance permit applications are also required for certain accessory uses and temporary outdoor sales, noted below.  To obtain this permit, complete the Zoning Application for Change of Use/Temporary Outdoor Sales​ (PDF). Temporary outdoor sales that include a tent larger than 120 square feet require a Building Permit.

  • Group day care homes
  • Automobile dealerships
  • Temporary outdoor sales (Note: if a tent larger than 120 square feet is associated with the outdoor sales, a Tent Permit Application (PDF) must be submitted to the Fire Department)
Zoning compliance permit applications should be submitted to the Planning Services Permit Desk at Larcom City Hall, 301 E. Huron Street.


Subscribe to email updates 
​Planning & Development Services
301 E. Huron St.
Ann Arbor
Planning Manager

Brett Lenart, AICP 
734.794.6000 x42606