Medical Marijuana

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Planning » Medical Marijuana

Medical Marijuana Facility Permits

On November 9, 2017 City Council adopted Chapter 96 Medical Marijuana Facilities. That ordinance went into effect on November 26, 2017. It describes City of Ann Arbor medical marijuana facility permits that are required for all facilities. The application is available here for facility permits, or from the City Clerk's office.

Zoning Requirements

City Council adopted a Medical Marijuana Facility Zoning Ordinance on December 18, 2017. The ordinance goes into effect on February 12, 2018.

At that meeting City Council also approved a list of eighteen existing medical marijuana facilities that may continue to operate after December 15, 2017 per LARA Emergency Rule 19. The City Clerk will sign Attestation E for these facilities by appointment.

All five facility types defined by the State of Michigan MMFLA are permitted in the City, in specific zoning districts. Some facility types require Special Exception Use approval from the City Planning Commission before a Zoning Compliance Permit may be issued. Please refer to the ordinance links above for all code requirements.

All facilities must provide an approved Zoning Compliance Permit as part of their Medical Marijuana Facility Permit application.

For Special Exception Use Applications

  • SEU information and submission requirements for facilities that do not require a site plan
  • SEU Checklist
  • SEU application form
  • Petition Application form
  • Information on the city's development review process (including SEUs for City Planning Commission) may be found here
  • Examples of applications that have already been submitted may be found by following these steps:
    1. Go to   

    2. Click Search under Projects

    3. Change the search parameters to Search By: Project Number contains SEU. (This will return all special exception use applications and you will need to go to the most recent ones to find med mj SEU applications.) Double click on the project you want to see.

    4. Or click Search under Projects and change the search parameters to a specific address (if you know it) or SEU project number. The first two submitted are SEU17-004 and SEU17-006.

    5. Once you're on a SEU record, look for the Attachments at the bottom of the opening page (which is also the Project Info tab). These are the documents that make up the application, plus any review comments uploaded by City Staff.

  • Please note that all information submitted to the City is public information and viewable by the public online.

Petition Maps

As SEU petitions are accepted for review, this map will show the 600 foot radius from each parcel. Additional petitions will be accepted for parcels touching or within that 600 foot radius, but will not be  reviewed unless and until the City Planning Commission denies the SEU petition for the original petitioner that set the radius.

Also included on this map are provisioning centers allowed to operate after December 15, 2017. These provisioning centers may apply for SEU approval before new provisioning centers may apply on February 12.

Parcel Zoning Information

To find a parcel's current zoning, and to measure the distance between parcels, go to and click the link for zoning maps.