Two river trips
Two-mile lake like sections of the river
Tubing at Argo Livery
Stillwater Paddles (no current) in 2-Mile Ponds
No reservations, just come down to the liveries and paddle a boat where the river is a calm lake in Argo and Gallup Park. We have over 500 boats available to rent. Leave and come back to the same dock and no van transportation needed. Perfect for novice paddlers!
- May 28-September 5:
- Every day, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.* at the Argo and Gallup Liveries
*Last boat rental is 2 hours prior to close. We close at 8 p.m. so the last rental is at 6 p.m. with all boats are due back by 8 p.m.
Stillwater Boat Rental Fees
|1-Kayak||Argo and Gallup||$17/Kayak - 2 hours|
|2-Kayak||Argo and Gallup||$22/Kayak - 2 hours|
|2 to 4-person Canoe||Argo and Gallup||$22/Canoe - 2 hours|
|3-person Paddleboat||Gallup||$14/Boat - 1 hour|
|4-person Paddleboat||Gallup||$20/boat - 1 hour|
|Stand-up Paddleboard||Argo||$23/boat - 2 hours|
River Trips (current) - Reservations Required
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 3.7 miles, 1.5 hours
Paddle down the Argo Cascades and on down the beautiful Huron River in Ann Arbor.
- Boat Reservations online or call day of to check availability.
- Start at Argo and we provide the van transportation from Gallup back to Argo at the end of your trip
- May 28-Sept. 5:
- Every day, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., anytime, from Argo
*Boats due at Gallup 1-hour prior to close
Barton to Gallup River Trip - 5.7-mile, 2.5-hour
Kayak through 2-mile Argo Pond, and then down the Argo Cascades and the Huron River current.
- Boat Reservations online or call on day of to check availability.
- Starts at the Gallup Livery with a van shuttle upriver.
- May 28-Sept. 5:
- Weekdays, on the hour, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Weekends, every half hour, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
*Boats due at Gallup 1-hour prior to close
River Trip Boat Rental Fees
(3-4 Person if children)
+$10 for 3rd adult
(6-Person if child)
Boat Reservations for River Trips
Tube the River
- Reserve online Boat Reservations.
- Prior to the day - reserve online.
- Want to paddle the river today? Please call to check if times are available or if you have questions.
- Gallup Livery 734.794.6240
- Argo Livery 734.794.6241
- Reservations are not required for stillwater (no current). Just show up anytime for paddling in these lake-like sections of the river.
- We have plenty of boat available to rent including 450 kayaks.
- You are reserving a time slot for a river trip for up to 4 people.
- Make only one reservation with one deposit for a group of up to 4 people.
- When you arrive you will select and pay for your rental boats.
Tube the River details, rentals, personal tubes, parking and river map.
- Rental tubes at the Argo Livery:
- Tube rentals every day up to 2-hours prior to closing.
- $10/person for a 2-hour rental.
- 1 person per tube and must be 8 years of age or older.
- Shoes, no flip flops, are required.
- Water shoes are for sale at the Argo Livery for $15.
- Tube down the Argo Cascade rapids and walk back up to repeat 2 or 3 times in your 2-hour rental.
- Rental tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades and tubes are returned to the Argo Livery.
- *NEW* Argo Livery has tubes for purchase.
- Have your own tube? Tube the River
- *NEW* Gallup Livery offers van transportation for $10/person, no inflated tubes and no boats, just people. Last van ride leaves Gallup at 7 p.m.
Parking at Argo and Gallup Parks
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Gallup Park - Park at Huron High School or Furstenberg parking pdf.
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Argo Park - Park Argo Parking (pdf) at the Kellogg Eye Center 900 Wall Street.
- Argo Cascades are 1500 feet of nine man-made drops and pools that bypass Argo Dam.
- Kayakers get waist down wet in the cascades for water splashes over your boat. Boats flip over so be prepared to be wet!
- Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
- Paddler in the stern of kayak must have experience paddling a boat (5 or more times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
What to Wear/What to Bring
- Dress for the weather.
- Dress for getting wet so wear a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet and will dry quickly.
- Wear shoes that can get wet and will stay on to protect your feet.
- DO NOT take valuables or personal belongings on the river unless secure in a dry bag/container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers at both liveries). Boats tip over and phones fall in the river.
- Do not bring towels for they just get wet.
- Maximum size coolers 12'x12'x12' allowed (one per boat, no Styrofoam)
- No alcohol. No glass bottles.
- Argo Livery sells cold drinks, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, water shoes, and stickers.
- Gallup Livery sells cold drinks, coffee, chips, candy, granola bars, ice cream, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, t-shirts, hats and stickers.
Boat Rental Policies
- Lifejackets are required and provided with all boat rentals
- Children must be age 1 years old or older to be in our boats.
- Dogs are welcome in all boats except in rafts and tubes.
- Boats available for the river trip depend on the water level.
- No canoes or rafts in low water conditions
- *NEW* Gallup Livery offers van transportation for $10/person, no inflated tubes and no boats, just people.
- Face masks are required to be worn in our vans.
- We take cash, all types of credit cards and checks for payment.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit of car keys or State issued I.D.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- We do not rent equipment, paddles and lifejackets, to people who have not rented our boats.
- Late fees: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
Universal Accessible Boat Launches
Group Boat Rentals
Outdoors, teamwork, and fun on the beautiful Huron River in Ann Arbor! Boat rentals for all skill levels and all sizes of groups. We do not offer discount boat fees for groups. Contact Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 or [email protected] for further information and to set up a reservation.
- Groups <25 people - Reserve online Boat Reservations.
- You are reserving a time slot for 4 or less people. For example if you have 12 people in your group you will need 3 reservations.
- Groups >25 people - Call the Gallup Office 734.794.6240.
- We can accomodate group sizes of up to 300 people!
- Stillwater paddles or the 1.5-hour river trip is available for large groups.
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration by boating on the Huron River. Contact Recreation Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 or [email protected]
- Discounted boat rentals for school groups on spring/fall weekdays.
- Livery staff are available to paddle the river with your group.
- Have adults print and sign Risk Waiver prior to youth group trips.
Register for river programs
Click here to view the 2022 Ann Arbor Parks & Recreation Activity Guide. There's a host of events, activities and classes you can register for in the Ann Arbor parks include summer day camps, golf and swim lessons, volunteer opportunities and canoe/kayak activities. To register visit the online system for convenient access and payments.
Summer River Day Camps, River Kids for preschoolers, Kayak & SUP instruction, Huron River Day, Kayaking for Seniors, Adapted Kayaking, and Trick or Treat on the River are some of our many fun river programs.