Both directions of West Liberty Street will be closed to through traffic for water main work and road resurfacing through at least Friday, Nov. 12, 2021. One eastbound vehicle lane will remain open to local traffic between Crest Avenue and South Seventh Street. Both directions of Crest Avenue will be closed with only a northbound vehicle lane open to local traffic between West Liberty Street and Buena Vista.
Eastbound through traffic will be detoured south on West Stadium Boulevard, east on Pauline Boulevard, and north on South Seventh Street to West Liberty Street. Westbound traffic will be routed south on South Seventh Street, west on Pauline Boulevard, and north on West Stadium Boulevard to West Liberty Street.
For the safety of all, please reduce speeds and drive cautiously through the detour route.
During construction, the contractor will maintain pedestrian traffic and detour it as required.
Barton Drive between Pontiac Trail and Brede Place: Wednesday, Oct. 20 - Friday, Nov. 12, 2021. The contractor, Doan Construction, will occupy a portion of the north side of Baron Drive between Pontiac Trail and Brede Place for sidewalk work beginning on Wednesday, Oct. 20, however, two-way vehicle traffic will be maintained. Separate bike lanes will not be available. On-street parking will be prohibited on both sides of Barton Drive. Hill Street Closed to Vehicle Through-Traffic from Washtenaw Avenue to Oxford Road; Washtenaw Avenue Reduced to One Vehicle Lane from Oxford Road to Hill Street: 6 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 19–Noon Friday, Oct. 22, 2021.
Corby Energy will be closing Hill Street and restricting lanes of traffic on Washtenaw beginning at 6 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 19 , to facilitate DTE gas main work near the intersection of Hill Street and Washtenaw Avenue.
Vehicles travelling eastbound on Hill Street will be detoured southeast on Washtenaw Avenue north on Oxford Road back to eastbound Hill Street. Vehicles travelling westbound on Hill Street will be detoured south on Oxford Road, northwest on Washtenaw Avenue back to westbound Hill Street. During this time, access to all businesses and residences will be maintained on both the north and south side of the road. Washtenaw Avenue between Oxford Road and Hill Street will be reduced to one vehicle travel lane in each direction.
Local traffic will be maintained in all areas, and local businesses will remain open and accessible. In all areas, pedestrian through-traffic will be maintained on one side of the street at all times.
Division Street from Huron Street to Catherine Street; Catherine Street from State Street to 5th Avenue; Ann Street from 5th Avenue to State Street: Monday, Oct. 18-Wednesday, Nov. 10., 2021 Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 18 the following changes will be made to facilitate the DDA's Division Street Bikeway project:
- The easternmost lane of Division Street from Huron to Catherine will be closed and Division Street will be reduced to one lane of northbound traffic. During this time, access to all businesses and residences will be maintained on both the east and west side of the road. There will be no street parking on the east side of Division in this area during construction. This work is expected to be completed by 5 PM on Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021 and the road reopened to vehicle traffic.
Beginning at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 20:
- The intersections of Division/Catherine and Division/Ann will be closed to thru traffic. The following detours will be in place: Vehicles travelling westbound on Catherine Street will be detoured north on State St, west on Kingsley Street and south on 5th Avenue back to Catherine Street. Local traffic will be able to enter and exit Catherine Street via the Division intersection (except as noted in italics below):
*Note: At certain times during the construction, local traffic on Catherine Street between Division and 5th Avenue will enter this block from 5th Avenue during the construction workday (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Two-way traffic on this block will be maintained with flaggers. The project team will notify local residents and businesses directly in advance of this two-way traffic pattern.
- Vehicles travelling eastbound on Ann Street will be detoured south on 5th Avenue, east on Huron Street and north on Thayer Street back to Ann Street. Local traffic only will be able to enter and exit Ann Street via the Division intersection.
Local traffic will be maintained in all areas, and local businesses will remain open and accessible. This work is expected to be completed by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021, and the roads reopened to vehicle traffic.
In all areas, pedestrian through-traffic will be maintained on one side of the street at all times.
Plymouth Road from Maiden Lane to Murfin Avenue: Tuesday, Oct. 12– Thursday, Nov. 4. Beginning at 7 a.m. on Oct. 12, traffic on Plymouth Road between Maiden Lane and Murfin Avenue will be restricted to a single vehicle lane in each direction for asphalt resurfacing. Work is expected to be completed, and all lanes reopened to traffic, on Thursday, Nov. 4, weather permitting.
Miller Avenue between North First Street and Chapin Street; Chapin Street between Miller Avenue and West Huron Street: Monday, Oct. 4 - Friday, Oct. 29, 2021. Beginning on Monday, Oct. 4, fiber-optic service upgrades will begin in the downtown area. The following streets will be impacted:
- Miller Avenue from North First Street to Chapin Street – bike lane closure.
- Chapin Street from Miller Avenue to West Huron Street - road closed and parking lane closure.
Temporary lane closures may occur during the work: Loading/unloading of construction materials; removal and installation of concrete driveway openings and approaches; and the removal and replacement of pavement. Pedestrian traffic will be maintained but may also experience detours, as required.
Packard Street Asphalt Path between Woodmanor Court and Platt Road impacting Packard Street between Woodmanor Court and Platt Road: Friday, Oct. 8, at 9 a.m.– Friday, Oct. 22, at 8 p.m. Beginning on Friday, Oct. 8, 2021, a right lane closure will be in place on Packard Street between Woodmanor Court and Platt Road for asphalt path work. The eastbound vehicle lane will be shifted into the left lane. Flagging operations will also be utilized at times during this lane closure. Work is expected to be completed by Friday, Oct. 22, 2021, weather permitting.
In addition, pedestrian traffic will be detoured to the opposite side of the street.
South Main Street from Packard Street to East William Street and East William Street from South Main Street to South Fourth Avenue: Monday, Nov. 2 at 9 a.m.– Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022, at 5 p.m.
Beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 2, the eastern northbound lane of South Main Street and the sidewalk along the east side of South Main Street between Packard Street and East William Street will be closed to allow for construction of a new residential building. Pedestrian traffic shall cross South Main Street to access the sidewalk on the west side of the road between Packard Street and William Street. In addition, a portion of the eastbound lane of East William Street will be closed to provide a pedestrian access tunnel along East William Street from South Main Street to the alley located between South Main Street and South Fourth Avenue. Vehicular traffic will not be significantly impacted by the partial lane closure on East William Street.
(Unless otherwise noted, special events listed are not sponsored or endorsed by the City of Ann Arbor.)On Sunday, Oct. 24, from 3 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.,
the following streets will be closed for the Ann Arbor Marathon
(PDF) special event:
- South Fifth to Hill
- Hill to Brown
- Brown to Hoover
- Hoover to Division
- Division to Hill
- Hill to East University
- East University across Pedestrian Mall to North University
- Palmer Field path to Observatory
- Observatory to Geddes
- Geddes to East Huron River Drive
- East Huron River Drive to North Dixboro
- North Dixboro to Gallup Park Pathway
- Gallup Park Pathway through Mitchell Field to Fuller Road (Stay on sidewalk)
- Fuller Road Sidewalk to East Medical Center Drive sidewalk to Arb entrance Arb trails to Washington Heights
Closures for 2021 University of Michigan home football games on Oct. 23, Nov. 6 and 27.
would be effective three hours before a game to the end of the game, with the exception of south bound South Main Street, which will be closed beginning one hour before a game to the end of the game.
- East Keech Street between South Main and Greene Streets
- Westbound right turn lane on East Stadium Boulevard (onto South Main Street) just south of the Michigan Stadium
- South Main Street to both local and through traffic from Stadium Boulevard to Pauline.
- Limited access to parking permit holders on Greene Street from East Hoover to Keech streets
Downtown closures for restaurant and retail use. Closures will take place each week between 3 p.m. Thursday and 6 a.m. Monday, unless otherwise noted below:
- Main Street from William to Washington
- Liberty Street from Ashley to Fourth
- West Washington Street from Ashley to Main Street (7 days a week except during Michigan home football game days)
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) Projects
Please note: To stay informed of projects managed by entities other than the City of Ann Arbor, please subscribe directly to receive
(follow the link and click the envelope on the left of the page) and consult the