City construction and traffic controls
Special event closures
MDOT and WCRC project updates
The City of Ann Arbor has partnered with WAZE to provide a better way of learning about traffic controls within the city. To take advantage of this, visit WAZE.com or download the WAZE app.
Subscribe for alerts on road or lane closures within the City of Ann Arbor.
City of Ann Arbor construction and traffic controls
Huron Parkway. Due to urgent additional road work, one southbound lane of Huron Parkway between Plymouth and Glazier is closed to traffic until further notice. Delays are likely so drivers are encouraged to find alternate routes.
In addition, the sidewalk adjacent to the lane closure will be closed and pedestrians directed to the other side of Huron Parkway.
Stone School Road from I-94 to East Eisenhower Parkway: Monday, July 8-Friday, August 9, 2019. Due to reconstruction and repaving activities, Stone School Road will be closed to traffic in the southbound direction between I-94 and East Eisenhower Parkway.
During this closure, the contractor will detour traffic westerly on East Eisenhower Parkway, southerly on South State Street, and easterly on West Ellsworth Road back to Stone School Road. One-way traffic will be maintained on Stone School Road through the construction area with one lane operating in the northbound direction.
Pedestrian traffic will be maintained during construction.
Fuller Road, Fuller Court to VA Hospital: 9 a.m., Monday, July 8-3 p.m., Friday, Aug. 2, 2019. Due to electrical bank work, eastbound Fuller Road will be reduced to one lane from Fuller Court to the VA Hospital.
Hill Street: Tuesday, July 9, 9 a.m.-3p.m. Beginning at 9 a.m., Tuesday July 9, 2019 Hill Street from East University to Church will be closed to traffic. Vehicles traveling east will be detoured south onto East University then east on Oakland Avenue then north on Church and back to Hill Street. Westbound traffic will be detoured south onto Church then west onto Oakland then north onto E. University back to Hill Street.
Local residents will have access maintained at all times. Pedestrian traffic will be maintained on both sides of Hill Street.
Ann Arbor-Saline Road & South Main Street: Monday, June 24-Friday, July 12, 2019. Beginning Monday, June 24, traffic on Ann Arbor-Saline Road between West Eisenhower Parkway and South Main Street as well as South Main Street between Ann Arbor-Saline Road and Scio Church Road, will be
reduced to one lane in each direction at separate times, north and southbound, to perform path and ramp work.
Detroit Street between North Fifth Avenue and Kingsley Street: Monday, June 24-Friday, July 19, 2019. Weather permitting, beginning Monday, June 24, Detroit Street from North Fifth Avenue to East Kingsley Street will be closed to traffic. Traffic will not be able to access this section of Detroit Street.
*Updated: Hoover Avenue from Greene to State Street: 9 a.m., Friday, July 12-7 p.m. Friday, July 26, 2019. Beginning Friday, July 12, eastbound traffic on Hoover Avenue between Division and State Street will be shifted to the north side of the road. Hoover Avenue will continue to be closed to through traffic between Main Street and Greene, and between Greene to the west side of Division. Hoover Avenue will also continue to be closed to westbound traffic between Division to State Street.
Traffic intending to travel eastbound on Hoover Avenue will be detoured on Main Street to Hill to Packard to State Street.
Traffic intending to travel westbound on Hoover Avenue will be detoured on State Street to Packard to Hill to Main Street.
South State Street between Stimson and Oakbrook Drive: Wednesday, June 12 at 9 a.m.-Wednesday, Aug. 7 at 3 p.m. Beginning Wednesday, June 12, northbound South State Street will be closed between Stimson and Oakbrook for DTE duct bank work. Traffic will be detoured east along East Eisenhower Parkway, then north along South Industrial Highway, then west along Stimson Street back to South State Street. Southbound South State Street traffic will be maintained. Local driveway access will be maintained to all properties.
Fourth Avenue: Thursday, May 16-Wednesday, July 10, 2019. Beginning on Thursday, May 16, Fourth Avenue from Huron Street to Washington Street will be closed for underground gas utility work by DTE.
- Thursday, May 16–Thursday, July 11: Closure of both northbound and southbound traffic.
- Thursday, June 27-Wednesday, July 10: Closure of southbound traffic only. Northbound traffic will be maintained.
Southbound Fourth Avenue traffic will be detoured: westbound on Huron Street to southbound on North First Street, eastbound on Washington Street to South Fourth Avenue. Northbound traffic will be detoured westbound on Washington Street, northbound on Main Street, eastbound on Huron Street to North Fourth Avenue.
William Street: Monday, May 13-July 12, 2019. Beginning on May 13, westbound William Street, between State and Division, will be closed to traffic for road resurfacing. Westbound traffic on William Street will be detoured northbound on State Street to westbound on Liberty Street to southbound on Fifth Avenue then back to William Street. Eastbound traffic will be maintained.
Pedestrian through-traffic will be maintained on one side of the street at all times.
Fuller Street at Glen Avenue/Fuller Road: Monday, May 6-Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019. On Monday, May 6, construction of an
underground, cast-in-place, sanitary sewer diversion chamber in Fuller Street
near the Glen Court intersection will begin.
Fuller Street traffic will be detoured to Glen Avenue, East Huron Street and South Main Street for westbound travelers; and to North Main Street, East Huron Street and Glen Avenue for eastbound travelers. Access to the U of M Glen Avenue Parking Structure, as well as the residential housing units along Glen Court will be maintained to Fuller Street. Glen Court traffic will be able to enter and exit from west of the project area. Pedestrian traffic along the southerly side of Fuller Street will be maintained at all times. Access along Depot Street will be maintained to all local area businesses, Wheeler Park and the Amtrak Station. The project will also use portable, changeable message signs to provide additional information and way-finding assistance to users of the area.
Drive/Dover Place/Huntington Place: Monday, May 6-Friday, Sept. 6. Beginning 9 a.m. Monday, May 6, one lane of vehicular traffic will be maintained along Riverview Drive, Dover Place, and/or Huntington Place with the use of flaggers while construction is occurring. Due to the nature of the construction and the limited working area, the contractor will be allowed to work uninterrupted, with local traffic permitted to pass at the top and bottom of each hour while the work is on-going. **Residents in the work zone are asked to please expect and plan for delays when leaving or returning to their homes.** The roadway will be reopened to traffic at the conclusion of each workday. The city thanks those impacted for their patience and understanding as these improvements are made.
East Huron Street: Tuesday, April 9 - July, 2019. The following projects by the DDA, DTE and the University of Michigan will result in lane closures on East Huron Street between Third and Glen.
Beginning on Tuesday, April 9, eastbound traffic will be narrowed to one lane from Third Street to Glen Avenue. Westbound traffic will be narrowed to one lane from Fletcher to Main Street.
Pedestrian through traffic will be maintained on one side of the street at all times. Pedestrian access into businesses will be maintained with the use of temporary surfaces (e.g., rubber mats).
All vehicles, including delivery vehicles, will be prohibited from standing or stopping on Huron Street while lane closure(s) are in effect. Violators will be towed and/or ticketed.
North Fifth: Monday, April 15-Monday, July 15, 2019. Beginning on Monday, April 15, North Fifth Avenue between Catherine and Kingsley Streets will be reduced to one lane so that crews can resume construction activities. Access for intersecting streets, driveways and pedestrians will be maintained.
Huron Pkwy from Hubbard to Baxter: to conclude in July 2019. Eastern southbound lane of Huron Parkway between Hubbard and Baxter will be closed to traffic for electrical duct bank work on adjoining property.
Additional congestion is expected due to this project. Drivers should seek alternate routes. In addition, the sidewalk adjacent to the road will also be closed and pedestrians directed to the other side of Huron Parkway.
DTE electrical improvement project (DTE project page provides a complete description and work schedule)
Week 7/8-7/13 (Monday-Saturday)
- South Forest will be closed from Minerva to Cambridge
- Detours are yet to be determined
- There will be No Parking enforced on South Forest between Minerva and Cambridge
- Northbound South State Street will be closed from Private Drive to School Admin to Stimson
- Southbound traffic will remain open
- Northbound detour will be Eisenhower – South Industrial – Stimson
Special events(Unless otherwise noted, special events listed are not sponsored or endorsed by the City of Ann Arbor.)
Friday, July 12, 2019 from 7 a.m. to midnight, the following streets will be closed for the Rolling Sculpture Car Show 2019 (PDF) special event:
- South Main Street between Huron and William
- Liberty Street between South Ashley and Fifth Avenue
- Washington Street between South Ashley and Division (except for traffic entering or exiting the Washington Street Parking structure).
*Washington between Fourth and Division will reopen at 3:30 p.m. Closure of this section will provide a holding area and help alleviate traffic backups on Huron Street.
Monday, June 8 through Wednesday, July 10, 2019, the following street will be closed for the Top of the Park (PDF) special event:
Thursday, June 13 and Friday, September 20, 2019 the following street will be closed for the Movies on Maynard (PDF) special event:
Thursday, July 25 and Thursday, August 22 from 6 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Maynard from Liberty to the entrance of the parking structure.
3-8 p.m. Monday, July 15, 2019 the following streets will be closed for the Ann Arbor Mile-Dart for Art (PDF) special event:
- State Street from Hill to Washington
- Oakland from Hill to Monroe
- Monroe between State Street and Tappan
- William from Maynard to State Street
- Madison from Thompson to State Street
- Tappan from Monroe to South University
- South University from Tappan to State Street
- Liberty between Maynard and State Street
- North University between State and Thayer (duplicates closure for the Townie Party)
9 a.m. Sunday, July 14-7 a.m. Wednesday, July 17, 2019 the following street will be closed for the Townie Party (PDF) special event:
- North University between Fletcher and Thayer.
6 a.m. Wednesday, July 17-6 a.m. Monday, July 22, 2019 the following streets will be closed for the Ann Arbor Art Fair special event:
- Liberty from South Ashley to South State Street; Ashley Street, Fourth Avenue, Fifth Avenue and Division Street will remain open to through traffic. The Washtenaw Non-Profits will occupy Liberty Street between Fifth Avenue and 200 feet west of Division Street.
- North University from Fletcher to South State Street.
- Thayer, from North University, including the North University intersection, to East Washington.
- East Washington from South State Street to Fletcher
- South Main Street from the south side of Huron Street to the north side of William; Huron, Washington, and William Streets will remain open to traffic.
- South State Street from East Washington Street to Madison.
- South University from State to South Forest.
- East University from South University Avenue to Willard Street.
- Church from Willard to the entrance of the University of Michigan Church Street parking structure.
- Maynard from Liberty to Jefferson.
- Jefferson from Maynard to Thompson.
- William from State Street to Thompson.
- Thompson from Liberty to the parking structure entrance/exit.
the following street will be closed for the Sonic Lunch
(PDF) special event:
5: 30-10 a.m., Sunday, July 28, 2019, the following streets will be closed for the Electric Bolt (PDF) special event:
- Wall Street between Canal and Maiden Lane Court
- Canal between Wall Street and Maiden Lane Court
- Longshore Drive from Barton Drive to the Argo Park entrance
- Argo Drive at Longshore Drive
- Indianola at Longshore Drive
- Amherst at Longshore Drive
- Northern Lanes of Beakes from East Summit to Fourth Avenue
- Fourth Avenue from Beakes to the Farmer's Market
- Kingsley between North Main and Fifth Avenue
Noon-midnight, Wednesday, July 31, 2019 the following street will be closed for the NTI Block Party (PDF) special event:
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) projects
Please note: To stay informed of projects managed by entities other than the City of Ann Arbor, please subscribe directly to receive
(follow the link and click the envelope on the left of the page) and consult the