Private Utilities in the Right-of-Way

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Departments » Engineering » Private Utilities in the Right-of-Way

All initial applications and subsequent revisions must be submitted directly to Planning & Development Services, which may seek review from Engineering. 

Plans shall be submitted with right-of-way applications. The plans shall:

  • Be drawn to scale between 1":50' and 1":20'

  • Accurately show existing city utilities within the proposed work area.

  • Dimension the city utilities relative to the right-of-way line.

  • Use standard city symbols to denote city utilities (i.e. s = sanitary, r = storm, and w = water)

  • Clearly identify the proposed utility work and differentiate proposed vs. existing; open cut vs. boring; aerial vs. underground using varying line types or thicknesses.

  • Identify the depth of the proposed utility. (All utilities must be a minimum of 36" deep)

  • Identify the vertical clearance between proposed utility and City utilities at all crossings (12-inch minimum clearance)

All street crossings are to be perpendicular.

If the proposed work involves excavating/disturbing the surface of a street that is under a street-cut moratorium, a waiver request must be attached to the permit application, showing that the work is necessary as a public safety measure, or that other just cause exists to allow a waiver of the street cut moratorium.

If any sidewalks, driveways, or bikepaths are going to be impacted, they shall be properly restored as required by the Public Services Department Standard Specifications for Construction​.

If the proposed facility is located in the area of a city project under construction, being designed, or included in long-range plans, proposed work will need to be coordinated with the project engineer for the city project.

If an underground installation is proposed to be located within the lawn extension area, the Forestry & Park Operations Division of the Public Works Unit is to approve the work and be contacted prior to construction.

If the permit is for two-way telecommunications, a Telecommunications Permit must be approved per Chapter 38 of the City Code. If the provider has a Telecommunications Permit, the proposed facility must be included in the approved route. If it is not, if the length of the proposed extension is less than 1000 feet, the City Administrator must grant an administrative approval. If the length is over 1000 feet, City Council approval is required for an amendment to the Telecommunications permit.

For any work in Washtenaw Ave, Huron Street, Jackson Road [Huron to I-94] and North Main Street [Huron to M-14] an MDOT permit and a City of Ann Arbor right-of-way permit are required.

If the proposed utility crosses any railroad, a permit from the railroad company is required.

If the proposed work is within a County Drain limit, a permit from the Washtenaw County Drain Commissioner is required.