The project affects Brooks Street, between Miller and Sunset, and Mixtwood Road between Brooks and Red Oak.
Design is complete and construction is planned June-November, 2023.
Scope of the project:
- Water main replacement on Brooks, between Sunset and Mixtwood; and on Mixtwood, between Brooks and Red Oak.
- New sidewalk along both sides of Brooks to connect to Sunset.
- Intermittent road narrowing to accommodate sidewalk locations along east side.
- Reconfiguration of the Sunset/Brooks/Vesper intersection with the addition of a bioretention basin, or stormwater infiltration rain garden.
- Addition of a mini roundabout at Mixtwood and Red Oak.
- Underground stormwater storage on Brooks, north and south of Bydding.
- Street resurfacing, and crosswalk and bus stop enhancements throughout.
Construction Schedule and Information
Approximate Schedule (to be updated every 1st of the month)
|Mobilization/Traffic Controls||May 30 - June 2 (1 week)|
|Watermain||June 5 - August 11 (10 weeks)|
|Storm Sewer||August 14 - Sep 8 (4 weeks)|
|Bioretention Basin||Sep 11 - Sep 15 (1 week)|
|Concrete||Sep 18 - Oct 13 (4 weeks)|
|Road Paving||Oct 16 - Oct 27 (2 weeks)|
|Restoration||Oct 30 - Nov 3 (2 weeks)|
Click here for the Construction Notification that was distributed to nearby residents, with City contact information updated 5/26/23.
Click here for the Notice of Temporary Traffic Control Plan that was issued on 5/26/23 with the Temporary Closure plan depicted above.
Why is this project being done?
This project is a Capital Improvements Plan project to accomplish the following:
- Improve water system infrastructure - Replace aging 6" water main with new 8" water main and replace galvanized or lead service lines where encountered;
- Implement A2 Vision Zero Transportation Plan key mobility strategies - Fill sidewalk gaps on the east and west side of Brooks, enhance safety and visibility at uncontrolled crosswalks (eg. Pearl, Mixtwood)
- Reconfigure Sunset/Brooks/Vesper intersection for increased traffic safety and reduction of pavement.
- Resurface the pavement, thereby extending the life of the road;
- Install stormwater storage in the Allen Creek watershed to reduce surface flooding during larger storms.
Work to be done
Temporary traffic controls and protective fence installation; Cut and remove pavement for water main and storm sewer trenching and installation; Bioretention basin installation; Complete concrete curbs, sidewalks, sidewalk ramps, driveway approaches; Mill existing road surface; Pave streets completely; Restore disturbed areas with grass seed and mulch; Remove temporary traffic controls and fencing.
Possible Impact to residents and/or businesses
- Closures to thru traffic, however roads in the construction area are kept open to local traffic.
- Driveway access will be maintained with limited interruptions upon notification.
- Water service will be interrupted for short durations upon notification.
- Dust, noise, and inconvenience will be prevalent due to the nature of the planned construction.
Council Costs and funding source
Total project costs are estimated to be $3.5 Million with an estimated spending split of 40% Water Supply System funding, 15% County Millage funding for New Sidewalk, 30% Street, Bridge, and Sidewalk funding, and 15% Stormwater System funding. Funding for the project is included in the approved capital budgets.
Sept. 22, 2022 Virtual Information Session