Veterans Memorial Sports Complex
The Veterans Memorial Sports Complex features the Veterans Memorial Park outdoor pool, indoor ice arena, lit baseball and softball diamonds, tennis courts, a 30,000 square foot skatepark, meeting room and a park shelter available to rent. The complex includes a regulation-size rink of 85 feet by 200 feet with spectator seating for 800. A concession stand and vending are available in the main lobby, along with coin-operated lockers and storage units. A standard line of hockey and skating accessories are available in the pro shop and we have four hockey locker rooms.
Health, Safety and Prevention Protocols
Veterans Memorial Park Ice Arena and the City of Ann Arbor are committed to providing a safe and healthy facility for our teammates, participants and guests amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Please see the Veterans Memorial Park Ice Arena Return to the Ice Preparedness and Response Plan (PDF) for details (updated: Jan. 19, 2021).
You will need to preregister for an open skating time at: www.a2gov.org/parksregister First you'll be prompted to login or create an account to start, then select the "Open Skate Reservations" tab at the top.
|Sunday||11 a.m. - noon|
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
2 p.m. - 3 p.m.
|Monday||Noon - 1:30 p.m.|
Public Skate Prices
|Youth (16 & under)||$4|
|Senior (60 & older)||$4|
Open skate COVID-19 procedures
- Facility capacity is limited. Preregistration is encouraged.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times including on the ice.
- Locker rooms will be closed.
- Guests are required to come to the facility as ready to skate as possible.
- Guests will sign a waiver when registering acknowledging the following items as it pertains to COVID-19
- Have you been in contact with a person who has COVID-19?
- Have you felt unwell in the last 3 days? (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste of smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and/or diarrhea)
- Facility will be cleaned thoroughly between skate sessions.
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the facility.
- All are advised to practice physical distancing while at the facility by staying at least 6 feet apart from anyone you didn’t arrive to the rink with.
- Parents will be asked to actively supervise their skaters and assist in maintaining the 6 feet separation.
- All existing rink rules still apply
Skate rental will be available for those that need it. After the skate session, skates will get dropped off in a designated area upon exiting the facility. Skates will be sanitized between use.
Ice Skating Lessons
The Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation Services Instructional Skating Program is an official participant of the Learn to Skate USA Program sponsored by the US Figure Skating Association. We're offering instruction from the Snowplow Sam, Basic Skills, Freestyle and Adult courses. All skaters must be able to stand up on the ice independently as instructors will not be able to help them up. Everyone must wear a mask at all times and remain socially distanced in the facility and on the ice. Skaters are allowed one guest and only arrive ten minutes before class and leave no more than 10 minutes after.
Skates, Apparel, Helmets
Figure skates are recommended for beginners, however a good pair of hockey skates is acceptable. Skates are available for use during class at no additional charge. Layering and gloves are recommended. Helmets are required for all beginner/intermediate students (for your safety, no exceptions please). Helmets will NOT be available, so please provide your own.
No refunds will be given for withdrawing unless requested one week prior to the class beginning, or accompanied by a doctor's note. If classes are canceled due to COVID-19 closure, credits or refunds will be given.