River trips are CLOSED due to high water. We will update the website when trips become available. We are OPEN for stillwater paddling in 2-mile Argo and Gallup Ponds and for tubing the Argo Cascades.
Barton to Gallup Trip - 2.5 hour, 5.7 mile
This trip starts at the
Gallup Livery with a van ride upriver to Barton Park. This is our longest river trip with a 2-mile paddle through Argo Pond, paddling down the fun Argo Cascades (requires navigating class two rapids) and ending with a relaxing paddle down the river current back to Gallup Park. Our shorter trip is the
Argo to Gallup River Trip.
Barton to Gallup River Trip Schedule
May 26 to September 3
Water level is still too high for river trips. We anticipate being able to open very soon but not sure yet if we will be open for trips Memorial Day weekend. Paddling canoes and kayaks in 2 mile Argo and Gallup Pond is open. Tubing the Argo Cascades is open.
Weekends: every 1/2 hour 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. a van leaves Gallup to drive you up to Barton. *Weekends can be crowded, arrive early for we sell out of equipment.
Weekdays: on the hour from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. a van leaves Gallup top of every hour to drive you up to Barton.
Barton to Gallup River Trip Boats
- $32/2-person kayak
- $26/1-person kayak
- Canoes and rafts are not available for this trip
- Both river trips go through the Argo Cascades
- Argo Cascades is a bypass around a dam and removed a difficult boat portage.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small rapids, rock chutes and pools.
- Two-person kayaks, one-person kayaks, five-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Tubes are required to stay in the Argo Cascades therefore tubes do not continue down the river to Gallup Park.
- Canoes do not go through the Argo Cascades, but are available for the Argo to Gallup river trip launching below the dam.
Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (more than 5 times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
River Trip Details:
- No reservations! Only time reservations are taken is on weekdays for groups of 15 or more people, please call Gallup at 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds.
- Carpool or ride your bike for parking is limited at both Argo and Gallup Parks.
- All boaters are required to sign a
Risk Waiver. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
Maximum cooler size allowed is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches
Only ONE cooler per boat and styrofoam coolers are not permitted
No alcohol or glass bottles of any kind
We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from child's small to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
- Dogs are welcome
Canoe Livery Season Pass
Season passes are availalbe for $400. Good for one boat rental, river trip or stillwater paddle, per day. Rafts excluded. Passes available at the Gallup Canoe Livery.