River Trips (current) - Reservations Required
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 3.7 miles, 1.5 hours
Starts at the Gallup Livery in the fall. We transport you and your boats upriver to Argo and you paddle kayaks down the Argo Cascades, or you can bypass the rapids, and on down the beautiful Huron River in Ann Arbor.
- September 9-October 24: starts at the Gallup Livery
- Weekends every 30 minutes from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays on the hour every hour from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- $30/2-person kayak
- $24/1-person kayak
- $30/2-person canoe, (3-person if children)
- Reservations are required for the river trips (current and requires van transportation).
- Prior to day of the reserve online.
- On the day of you can call in to check if times are available. Weekdays there is usually plenty of times available.
- Reserve one time slot for your group of up to 7 people and you select and rent your boats when you arrive at the livery.
- Reservations are not required for stillwater (no current) boat rentals. Just show up and rent your boats for paddling in the lake-like sections of the river.
- We have over 500 boats available to rent including over 460 one and two person kayaks.
Stillwater (no current) - No Reservations
Reservations are NOT required. We have over 500 boats (kayaks, canoes, paddleboats and standup paddleboards) to rent so come down to the liveries and paddle a boat in the 2-mile pond sections of the river.
- Weekends 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Gallup Livery with all boats due back when we close at 7 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Gallup Livery
|1-person Kayak||Argo and Gallup||2 hours||$17/boat|
|Canoe and 2-person Kayak||Argo and Gallup||2 hours||$22/boat|
|3-person Paddleboat||Gallup||1 hour||$14/boat|
|4-person Paddleboat||Gallup||1 hour||$20/boat|
|Stand-up Paddleboard||Argo||2 hours||$23/boat|
Tube the River - Closed for the season
- Argo Livery rents tubes for the Argo Cascades.
- Rentals every day between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Argo when Argo is open
- $10/person for a 2-hour rental
- 1 person per tube
- Must be 8 years or older
- Shoes, no flip flops, are required. We sell water shoes for $15 at the Argo Livery
- Tube down the Argo Cascade rapids and walk back up to repeat 2 or 3 times in your 2 hour rental time
- We do not provide river trips or transporation for tubes
- Tube webpage for tubing the river with your own tube
Parking at Argo and Gallup Parks
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Gallup Park - Park at Huron High School or Furstenberg parking pdf
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Argo Park - Park Argo Parking (pdf) at the Kellogg Eye Center 900 Wall Street.
- River trips kayak or raft down a short section of rapids, or you can bypass the rapids in a canoe, and end with a relaxing paddle down the river current.
- Reservations required for the river trips only.
- Van transportation upriver is provided and included.
- Face masks are required to be worn in our vans.
- 5-person rafts, 6-person if one is a child, are only available for the 3.7 mile trip. Rafts are not available when the river is low.
- River trip boats must be returned to the Gallup Livery by 6 p.m.
- The 1.5 hour river trip maximum time is 3 hours.
- Everyone in your group must be present and have completed the forms at the time of your boat reservation.
- Due to the pandemic, we are not providing van transportation for people with their own kayaks, canoes or tubes.
- Paddle a boat and stay in 2-mile Argo or Gallup Ponds where the Huron River is lake-like due to the dams.
- Great for beginners and families.
- No van ride needed, jump in a boat and off you go.
- Stillwater boat rentals stop 2-hours prior to closing time.
- Universal accessible boat launch located at the Gallup LiveryAccessibleKayaking.
- Argo Cascades are 1500 feet of nine man-made drops and pools that bypass Argo Dam.
- Kayakers get waist down wet in the cascades for water splashes over your boat. Boats flip over so be prepared to be wet!
Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
Paddler in the stern of kayak must have experience paddling a boat (5 or more times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
What to Wear/What to Bring
- Dress for the weather.
- Dress for getting wet so wear a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet and will dry quickly.
- Wear shoes that can get wet and will stay on to protect your feet.
- DO NOT take valuables or personal belongings on the river unless secure in a dry bag/container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers at both liveries). Boats tip over and phones fall in the river.
- Do not bring towels for they just get wet.
- Maximum size coolers 12'x12'x12' allowed (one per boat, no Styrofoam)
- No alcohol. No glass bottles.
- Argo Livery sells cold drinks, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, water shoes, and stickers.
- Gallup Livery sells cold drinks, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, t-shirts, hats and stickers.
Boat Rental Policies
- We take cash, all types of credit cards and checks for payment.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement.
- Dogs are welcome on all boats except inflatables.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver
. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from child's small to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 years old are not permitted in our boat rentals.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- We do not rent equipment, paddles and lifejackets, to people who have not rented our boats.
- Late fees: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
Group Boat Rentals
River trip boat rentals require a reservation and each reservation time is for up to 7 people. If you have more than 7 people you can reserve mulitple time slots. If you are renting for the stillwater sections (no current and no van ride) no reservation is needed unless you have more than 15 people. Call Gallup 734.794.6240 and we can help make your group's boat reservations.
School Groups & Boat Rentals
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration by boating on the Huron River. Contact Recreation Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 or [email protected]
- Discounted boat rentals on spring and fall weekdays.
- Livery staff are available to paddle the river with your group.
- Have adults print and sign Risk Waiver prior to youth group trips.