Argo and Gallup Liveries are open for the season! Reservations for boat rentals are required.
- Pond paddles in 2-mile Argo and Gallup Ponds are open for reservations.
- River trips 3.7 mile Argo to Gallup is available from the Argo Livery every day between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. by reservation
- Boats available to rent are canoes, 1-person kayaks, 2-person kayaks, paddleboats, 5-person rafts and SUPs.
Argo boat rental reservation: online Argo Boat Reservation or call 734.794.6241
Gallup boat rental reservation: online Gallup Boat Reservation or call 734.794.6240.
*Day of reservations must be called in and if there is space we will make your reservation over the phone.
River Trip (river current)
Argo to Gallup River Trip - 3.7 miles, 1.5 hours
Schedule - OPEN
June 1-September 7
- Every day: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., at Argo Livery
- $27/2-person kayak
- $21/1-person kayak
- $27/2-person canoe, 3rd adult +$10, if small children can fit 4 people
- $72/5-person raft, can fit 6 people if child
Stillwater Paddles (no current)
Schedule - OPEN
May 29-September 7
- Every day: 9 a.m.-6 p.m., at Argo or Gallup
|1-person Kayak||Argo and Gallup||2 hours||$15/boat|
|Canoe and 2-person Kayak||Argo and Gallup||2 hours||$20/boat|
|3-person Paddleboat||Gallup||1 hour||$12/boat|
|4-person Paddleboat||Gallup||1 hour||$18/boat|
|Stand-up Paddleboard||Argo ||2 hours||$21/boat|
Tube the Huron River - No tube rentals
Parking at Argo and Gallup Parks
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Gallup Park
- Parking on weekends/holidays at Argo Park
- River trips kayak or raft down a short section of rapids, or you can bypass the rapids in a canoe, and end with a relaxing paddle down the river current.
- Reservations required for all boat rentals.
- Van transportation upriver is provided and included.
- Facemasks are required to be worn in our vans.
- 5-person rafts are only available for the 3.7 mile trip and paddle through the rapids. Rafts are not available when the river is low.
- River trip boats must be returned to the Gallup Livery one hour prior to closing - 6 p.m. in spring/fall, 7 p.m. in summer.
- The 1.5 hour river trip maximum time is 3 hours.
- Everyone in your group must be present and have completed the forms at the time of your boat reservation.
- Due to the pandemic, we are not providing van transportation for people with their own kayaks, canoes or tubes.
- Paddle a boat and stay in 2-mile Argo or Gallup Ponds where the Huron River is lake-like due to the dams.
- Great for beginners and families.
- No van ride needed, jump in a boat and off you go.
- Stillwater boat rentals stop 2-hours prior to closing time.
- Universal accessible boat launch located at the Gallup LiveryAccessibleKayaking.
- Argo Cascades are 1500 feet of nine man-made drops and pools that bypass Argo Dam.
- Kayakers get waist down wet in the cascades for water splashes over your boat. Boats flip over so be prepared to be wet!
Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
Paddler in the stern of kayak must have experience paddling a boat (5 or more times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
What to Wear/What to Bring
- Dress for the weather.
- Dress for getting wet so wear a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet and will dry quickly.
- Wear shoes that can get wet and will stay on to protect your feet.
- DO NOT take valuables or personal belongings on the river unless secure in a dry bag/container (we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers at both liveries). Boats tip over and phones fall in the river.
- Do not bring towels for they just get wet.
- Maximum size coolers 12'x12'x12' allowed (one per boat, no Styrofoam)
- No alcohol. No glass bottles.
- Argo Livery sells cold drinks, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, water shoes, tubes and stickers.
- Gallup Livery sells cold drinks, coffee, chips, candy, granola bars, sunscreen, eyeglass cords, dry bags, t-shirts, hats and stickers.
Boat Rental Policies
- Credit cards only for payment.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement.
- Dogs are welcome on all boats except inflatables.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver
. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from child's small to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 years old are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- We do not rent equipment, paddles and lifejackets, to people who have not rented our boats.
- Late fees: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.
Group Boat Rentals
All boat rentals are by reservation only, household groups only and a maximum of 7 people. Call Gallup 734.794.6240 for details.
School Groups & Boat Rentals
We can work with you to provide a river experience that best fits your class for an unforgettable outdoor exploration by boating on the Huron River. Contact Recreation Supervisor Cheryl Saam 734.794.6240 or email@example.com.
- Discounted boat rentals on spring and fall weekdays.
- Livery staff are available to paddle the river with your group.