Argo to Gallup Trip - 3.7 miles, 1.5 hours
Our most popular trip starts with kayaking the Argo Cascades, or you can bypass the cascades, and ends with a relaxing paddle down the picturesque Huron River. We provide the van shuttle upriver to start your river trip. Last rental for this trip is 4 p.m. with all boats returned by 6 p.m. Our longer trip is the Barton to Gallup River Trip from the Gallup Livery.
Argo to Gallup River Trip Schedule
Closed for the season
Argo to Gallup River Trip Boat Fees
- $27/2-person kayak
- $21/1-person kayak
- $72/5-person raft
Parking at the Liveries on Weekends
Argo and Gallup Canoe Livery are busy on nice weather weekends and parking is limited.
Please carpool or walk! We've improved parking options at the Argo Livery by adding Argo Parking (pdf) at the Kellogg Eye Center lot at 900 Wall Street on busy summer weekends and holidays. Park at Furstenberg parking pdf for extra parking at Gallup Park.
Have you own tube?
Check out Tube for river routes and where to park. The livery tubes stay in the Argo Cascades and do not go down the river.
- Argo Cascades is a series of nine small drops and pools.
- Two-person kayaks, one-person kayaks, five-person rafts and tubes paddle through the Argo Cascades.
- Argo Livery tube rentals are required to stay in the Argo Cascades.
- Canoes are available for the Argo to Gallup river trip and bypass the cascades by launching downstream from Argo Dam.
Requirements to kayak down the Argo Cascades:
Paddler in the stern of every kayak must have some experience paddling a boat (5 or more times) and be able to steer to stay in the middle of river and avoid hitting rocks.
- Everyone in the boat must be a capable swimmer and be able to right a capsized boat.
- Wear your lifejacket, go slow, enter each drop straight on, and if you are unable to line up your boat for the next drop, stop and circle back to try it again.
River Trip Details
- No reservations except for groups of 15 or more people can make weekday reservations by calling the Gallup Livery office at 734.794.6240.
- Our busiest times/longest wait for boats is nice weather, summer weekends. Avoid this time to avoid the crowds. Arrive early for boat rentals for lines may be long and we sell out. Many days we have to stop rentals before 4 p.m. due to the length of line and being out of kayaks.
- All boaters are required to sign a Risk Waiver
. A parent or guardian must sign for children younger than 16 years old.
Maximum cooler size allowed is 12" x 12" x 12".
Only ONE cooler per boat, Styrofoam coolers are not permitted.
No alcohol or glass bottles of any kind.
We provide boats, paddles, lifejackets, van transportation for the river trips, and a river orientation.
- Lifejackets are required and provided. We have all sizes from child's small to adult XL.
- Children under the age of 1 year are not permitted in our watercraft.
- Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older).
- Canoes maximum 3 people (4 people allowed if you have 2 children with combined weight of less than 100 lbs.)
- We do not provide personal boat transports.
- One person in your group is required to fill out a rental agreement and leave a deposit (either car keys or driver's license) for the rented boats.
- We accept all credit cards, cash or checks as payment.
- Dogs are welcome!
- Swimming, diving and jumping from watercraft are prohibited.
- Valuables or personal belongings that you do not want to get wet or lost should not be taken on the river or should be enclosed in a water tight container. For your convenience, we sell dry bags/containers and have lockers on site.
- Late fee: The City will charge double the rental rate per watercraft for equipment that is not returned to the livery by closing time.