The Ann Arbor Housing Commission has converted all of its public housing properties to project-based vouchers under the HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.
The Public Housing (PH) and Project Based Voucher (PBV) programs are very similar from the tenant's perspective. Under both programs, the tenant pays 30 percent of the adjusted household income on rent, and HUD provides a rental subsidy to the AAHC for the difference between the tenant's rent and the cost of the apartment. The subsidy is attached to the apartment under both programs and the AAHC is the property manager.
Section 8 is another rental subsidy program under which a voucher is used to help qualified residents obtain housing from any private landlord that will accept Section 8 participants in Washtenaw and Monroe counties. Tenants pay that landlord the calculated rent, and the Housing Commission pays the landlord the difference between the rent and the actual cost of the apartment.
Waiting List (Currently Closed)
To get on the waiting list, you must complete and submit an application when the waiting list is open. To create an account click here. To update your account click here. All up-to-date applications remain on an active waiting list until program eligibility is determined. Applications are for the waiting list only, not for immediate assistance. Applications are accepted online only through the Commission's web page.
Applications can be completed through any device with internet access and a valid email address. If you do not have an email address, please visit www.yahoo.com or www.gmail.com to set up and obtain a FREE email account. The application should take about 15-30 minutes.
Housing Choice Voucher Program (commonly Section 8) Waiting List is closed
- The waiting list for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is closed
Affordable Housing (formerly Public Housing) Waiting List is closed
- The waiting list for the Affordable Housing Program (properties owned and managed by the AAHC) is Closed
Manage your account online at www.a2housing.org/ann-arbor-housing-commission/index.aspx.
This web site will allow you to:
- Pre-register your household information when the waiting lists are closed. By pre-registering, you will be notified by email when the waitlist is opened
- Apply for other open waitlists offered by Ann Arbor Housing Commission when they are open
- Review and update your information, such as e-mail, mailing address, and phone numbers, to insure quality communication
- Review family member, income and assets details
- Review waiting list basic details and preferences
Please note: Applicants may only submit one application per household. Do not list the same household member(s) on multiple applications otherwise you will disqualify the applications. Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone. You may check the status of your application online.