PARK ADVISORY COMMISSION TO HOLD PUBLIC MEETINGS ABOUT PARK MAINTENANCE & CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS MILLAGE RENEWAL
ANN ARBOR, Mich., March 27, 2012 – The City of Ann Arbor Park Advisory Commission (PAC) and Ann Arbor Parks & Recreation staff invite members of the community to attend a public meeting to discuss the upcoming expiration and renewal of the 2007-2012 Parks Maintenance & Capital Improvements Millage. A presentation will be given that provides a short background on the parks millage and how it is utilized by the park system, an explanation of how the park system is funded, and information regarding the proposed millage renewal process.
The Park Maintenance and Capital Improvements Millage is a six-year millage for 1.10 mills that was approved by residents of the City of Ann Arbor on November 7, 2006. The millage expires in 2012. Each year the millage generates approximately $5,000,000 in revenue.
• Between 60% and 80% of the annual millage funds support city park maintenance activities. Park maintenance activities include forestry and horticulture, natural area preservation, park operations, park equipment repairs, park security, and recreation facility maintenance.
• Between 20% and 40% of the annual millage funds is designated for city park capital improvements in the following areas: active parks; forestry and horticulture; historic preservation; neighborhood parks and urban plazas; pathways, trails, boardwalks, greenways and the Huron River watershed; recreation facilities; and park equipment acquisitions.
The following public meetings are scheduled for this discussion:
- Monday, April 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Ann Arbor Senior Center (1320 Baldwin Avenue)
- Wednesday, April 11, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Cobblestone Farm Center (2781 Packard Road)
- Monday, April 23, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Leslie Science & Nature Center/Nature House (1831 Traver Road)
- Thursday, April 26, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Ann Arbor Public Library Traverwood Branch (3333 Traverwood Drive)
If you are not able to attend a public meeting, your comments are welcome at email@example.com. For additional information please visit www.a2gov.org/parks. A web site dedicated to the parks millage will go live to the public the week of April 2, 2012 at www.a2gov.org/parksmillage.
# # # # #