The Community Standards Unit of the Ann Arbor Police Department serves an integral role in maintaining the quality of life in Ann Arbor. This unit of the has primary responsibility to enforce the city codes and ordinances that protect the public health, welfare and safety of the residents. All complaints will be handled in a professional and courteous manner. All complaints remain confidential.
The Community Standards Unit will enforce the following:
- Improperly stored solid waste containers.
- Solid Waste containers stored on public property.
- Containers placed on the curb 24 hours before collection day.
- Containers left on the curb 12 hours after collection day.
- Grass on private property in excess of 12 inches.
- Grass on lawn extensions in excess of 12 inches and other ground cover vegatation in an average height of 36 inches.
- Trees and other vegetation intruding upon the public right of way.
- Trees and other vegetation on public property creating sight hazards at intersections.
- Sidewalk café occupancy.
- Vendors on public property.
- Refuse receptacles for sidewalk cafes and vendors.
- Snow and ice on public sidewalks.
- Sidewalk maintenance inspections
- Vehicles parking in the yard.
- Inoperative and unregistered vehicles on private property.
- Displaying vehicles for sale.
- Parking of trailers, boats, campers, and similar vehicles in residential zones.
- Parking of commercially licensed vehicles in residential zones.
- Signs in the public right of way.
- Solicitors and peddlers properly displaying their license.
- Soliciting on public and private property.
- Refuse receptacles for solicitors and peddlers.
- Sidewalk and alley litter and debris adjacent to businesses within the City.
- Posted notices and handbills.
- Excessive accumulation of newspapers on private property.
- Trash accumulation on private property.
- Abandoned Refrigerators.
- Parking violations as listed under Chapter 126 of the city code.
Copies of these city ordinances may be obtained by contacting the City Clerks office at (734) 794-6140 or online at Ann Arbor Code of Ordinances
To file a Community standards complaint you may either call (734) 794-6942, or e-mail CommunityStandards@a2gov.org
Community Standards Supervisor (734) 794-6942