Click to Skip Navigation
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Government > Public Services > Project Management > Private Development > Right-of-Way and Lane Closure Permits
Project Management
Private Development
Projects Under Construction
Standard Specifications
Traffic Calming
Traffic Engineering
Street Millage
Staff Directory
Sidewalk and Ramp Repair Program
Road Construction

Right-of-Way and Lane Closure Permits

A permit is required to do construction work in the public right-of-way, including public sidewalks.  Permit applications may be submitted at the Customer Services Unit located at Larcom City Hall, 301 E. Huron Street. Click the link below for the application form:

Right-of-way Permit Application (pdf)

If work in the right-of-way will interfere with traffic, a Lane Closure Application will need to be submitted at least 48 hours in advance to the Project Management Unit, located on the fourth floor of City Hall. There is no fee for this permit.

Lane Closure Application (pdf)

Lane Closure Applications help assure that proper work zone safety procedures are followed when contractors are working in the right-of-way. All proposed work zone traffic control plans must conform to the Michigan Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD) Part VI, Construction and Maintenance. Copies of the MMUTCD Part VI are available from the Project Management Unit.

Lane Closure Applications must contain the following information:

  • Date and Times of Work
  • Location and Type of Work
  • Description of Traffic Control necessary detours
  • Applicant's Name, Address and Phone Number (24-hour emergency contact)
  • Right-of-Way Permit Number

Once an application has been approved, the information is sent to the Police and Fire Departments, Parking Systems, The University of Michigan Transportation, Ann Arbor Transit Authority (AATA), Ann Arbor Public Schools, and the Huron Valley Ambulance for their use in routing their services.

Lane closures are typically necessary when a contractor must cut into the street. Cutting into the street is often necessary when making underground utility repairs. When a contractor needs to cut into a street, the contractor must make arrangements with the right-of-way/street cut inspectors for inspection of their work.

If you have any questions regarding the need for a Lane Closure application or how to fill out an application please call 734-812-7932 or Chris Rachwal.

Chris Rachwal can be reached by
Cell: 734-812-7932
Fax: 734-996-3293


Last updated:  October 25, 2012


Go to the top