Please contact local haulers for your bulk disposal needs or use Recycle Ann Arbor's Drop-Off Station (734-971-7400). $3 entry fee applies.
What can you do with an old refrigerator, unwanted sofa, old mattresses, broken television, rolls of carpeting, or the dozen bags of “stuff” you just cleaned out of your closet, basement, attic, or garage?
- Bulky items or trash bags cannot be placed outside trash carts. Trash found outside of Ann Arbor’s refuse carts can be cited and subject to fines up to $1,000. You may be able to store inside and save some surplus dry trash for the next week, when your cart is less full. If extra trash is an ongoing situation, you may subscribe to have additional refuse carts serviced weekly by calling the Customer Service Center at (734) 994-2807.
- All recyclables must be inside the recycling cart. For yard waste, please see the compost collection page for guidelines. Collection carts should be spaced at least 3 feet apart at the curb.
- Freon must be removed from appliances before disposal. This is a Federal requirement to reduce a significant greenhouse gas. There is a cost of ~$28 per appliance for Freon recycling by a certified extractor. Freon extraction is available at Drop-Off Station and some scrap metal sites.
- All retailers and manufacturers of computers and televisions are required by state law to take back these items at no charge Details at the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources & Environment.
- Appliance recycling. Many businesses selling and delivering new appliances will take back your used appliances for a nominal fee.
Contact a PRIVATE WASTE HAULER or Reuse Operation. Many haulers are listed in print and Internet “yellow pages” under Rubbish & Garbage Removal or similar heading. The haulers listed below are recognized as Washtenaw County Waste Knot Partners and provide waste pickup and recycling services
1-800-GOT-JUNK? (1-800-468-5865) Provides waste pickup and disposal services as well as recycling options for most items, including renovation debris. Fees include removing items from inside building. www.1800gotjunk.com
Big Time Services (734) 330-9000. Provides waste pickup, disposal, and recycling services.
Calvert’s Rolloff Containers, Inc. (734) 426-2280. Rents containers of all sizes to handle construction or clean-out debris. Processes collected materials for recycling and disposal. Provides some residential pickups and accepts drop-off of bulky items on a for-fee basis. www.recycleannarbor.org.
Drop-Off Station (734) 971-7400, Provides pick-up of a wide variety of bulky waste materials for recycling and disposal, including furniture, appliances, and electronics. Materials may also be dropped off. Fees apply. www.recycleannarbor.org
Honeymoon Haulers (734) 846-5864 Provides waste, appliance, compost, fall leaves, and recycling pickup and disposal.
Recycle Ann Arbor (734-971-7400) Allows drop-off of a wide variety of bulky waste materials, including furniture, appliances, and electronics for recycling and disposal. Pickups also available. $3.00 entry fee. Additional fees may apply. www.recycleannarbor.org
TDF II Hauling & Plowing (734) 994-3484 Provides pickup and disposal/recycling services a for many items, including appliances, computers, furniture, yard waste. Also donates items such as cleaning products, toys, clothing and books to local charities. firstname.lastname@example.org
The listing of these haulers is not and does not imply an endorsement of their services or products by the City of Ann Arbor or by any City of Ann Arbor official or employee.