The Washtenaw/Hill Historic District was completed in two separate phases. Phase 1 was adopted in 1980, and consisted of five properties at the intersection of Washtenaw and Hill.
Phase 2 was adopted in 1986. It expanded the historic district to encompass buildings in the 1300, 1400, and 1500 blocks of Hill and a single building on the corner of Washtenaw. This added 16 properties to the Washtenaw/Hill Historic District, for a total of 21 properties.
During the mid-1990s, the possibility of adding more properties through Phase 3 was researched. More than one thousand properties were considered for addition to the existing Washtenaw/Hill Historic District.
In the early-2000s, the Phase 3 addition was proposed and a study committee was appointed. It would have incorporated over 150 additional properties into the Historic District. However, this proposal was not adopted.
Last updated: January 22, 2014