- Mayor of Ann Arbor: 2000-present.
- Established policy leading to the reorganization of the City Bureaucracy resulting in savings to the City of over $15 million per year.
- Championed the Parks and Greenbelt Initiative to forever save open space and farmland.
Issued the Mayors Green Energy Challenge calling for the City Government to use 30% renewable energy by 2010 (achieved in 2011) and the city as a whole to use 20% renewable energy by 2015.
- Founded the Washtenaw Metro Alliance for planning and cooperation with neighboring communities.
- Founded the Clean Communities Program to clean up and protect neighborhoods.
- Pushed through the non-motorized initiative to move Ann Arbor to the forefront in cycling and pedestrian infrastructure.
- Worked with Washtenaw County and the University of Michigan to establish Ann Arbor SPARK.
- Protected and expanded human services funding.
- Promoted the building of new affordable housing for those who need it most.
- Keeps open office hours every week for residents to sit down and talk with the mayor.
- Initiated new effort to plan for Ann Arbor’s future.
- Re-established major infrastructure repair, replacement and improvements as a priority in Ann Arbor.
- Founded the Annual Mayor’s Green Fair on Main Street.
- Ann Arbor City Council: 1999-2000. Major initiatives: Passage of Ban on Mercury Thermometers.
- Sponsored a resolution for a reduction in the millage; approved by City Council.
BOARDS, COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS (Current and some past.)
- Ann Arbor Energy Commission
- Appointed to the Michigan Climate Action Council by Governor Granholm
- Board of Directors Huron River Watershed Council, (1998-02)
- Downtown Development Authority, (2002 – present)
- Chair of the Board of Directors Recycle Ann Arbor (1989 – 1991)
- Chair: Urban Core Mayor’s of Michigan. (2004-05)
- Member: The Wolfpack of the National Wildlife Federation
- Board of Directors, Lake Superior Conservancy and Watershed Council, Sault St. Marie, Ontario, 2004 – 09.
- Environmental Leadership Award for 2008, Michigan League of Conservation Voters
- Elected Local Official of the Year, Michigan Parks Association, 2004
- Conservation Leadership Award, Greater Detroit Audubon Society, 2004
- Preservationist of the Year, Washtenaw Land Trust, 2003
MAJOR PRESENTATIONS (sample)
- Moving Forward: How a Mid-Size City is Moving to Renewable Energy: 10th Annual
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Conference - Presented by the House and Senate
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Caucuses and the Sustainable Energy Coalition, Washington D.C.
- Local Government Initiatives: National Summit - Coping with Climate Change-University of Michigan School of Natural Resources May 8-10, 2007
- The Emerald Ash Borer Challenge: Continental Dialogue on Non-native Forest Insects and
- Diseases – Atlanta Georgia, Jan, 23 & 24 2007
- University of Michigan, Ford School of Public Policy 2007- present.
- B.S. Political Science, Eastern Michigan University, Magna Cum Laude
- Ann Arbor Pioneer High School