- Mayor of Ann Arbor: 2000-present.
- Established policy leading to the reorganization of the City Bureaucracy resulting in savings to the City of over $10 million per year.
- Championed the Parks and Greenbelt Initiative to forever save open space and farmland.
- Issued the Mayors Green Energy Challenge calling for the City Government to use 30% renewable energy by 2010 and the city as a whole to use 20% renewable energy by 2015.
- Championed the Percentage for Art Program to provide consistent funding for public art to beautify the city for decades to come.
- Founded the Washtenaw Metro Alliance for planning and cooperation with neighboring communities.
- Founded the Clean Communities Program to clean up and protect our neighborhoods.
- Pushed through the non-motorized initiative to move Ann Arbor to the forefront in cycling and pedestrian infrastructure.
- Protected and expanded human services funding.
- Promoted the building of new affordable housing for those who need it most.
- Keeps open office hours every week for residents to sit down and talk with the mayor.
- Initiated new effort to plan for Ann Arbor’s future.
- Re-established infrastructure repair, replacement and improvements as a priority in Ann Arbor.
- Founded the Annual Mayor’s Green Fair on Main Street.
- Ann Arbor City Council: 1999-2000. Major initiatives: Passage of Ban on Mercury Thermometers. Sponsored a resolution for a reduction in the millage that was approved by City Council.
BOARDS, COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS
- Appointed to the Michigan Climate Action Council by Governor Granholm, (2007 present)
- Board of Directors Huron River Watershed Council, (1998-present, currently an alternate member of the board.)
- Downtown Development Authority, (2002 – present)
- Chair of the Board of Directors Recycle Ann Arbor (1989 – 1990)
- Chair: Urban Core Mayor’s of Michigan. (2004-05)
- Member: The Wolfpack of the National Wildlife Federation
- Board of Directors, Lake Superior Conservancy and Watershed Council, Sault St. Marie, Ontario, 2004 – Present.
- Environmental Leadership Award for 2008, Michigan League of Conservation Voters
- Elected Local Official of the Year, Michigan Parks Association, 2004
- Conservation Leadership Award, Greater Detroit Audubon Society, 2004
- Preservationist of the Year, Washtenaw Land Trust, 2003
Moving Forward: How a Mid-Size City is Moving to Renewable Energy: 10th Annual Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Conference - Presented by the House and Senate Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Caucuses and the Sustainable Energy Coalition, Washington D.C. June 14, 2007
Local Government Initiatives: National Summit - Coping with Climate Change-University of Michigan School of Natural Resources May 8-10, 2007
The Emerald Ash Borer Challenge: Continental Dialogue on Non-native Forest Insects and Diseases – Atlanta Georgia, Jan, 23 & 24 2007
- B.S. Political Science, Eastern Michigan University, Magna Cum Laude
- Ann Arbor Pioneer High School