Click to Skip Navigation
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Government > City Administration > City Clerk
City Clerk
Legislative Information Center
Ordinances and City Code
Filing a Claim against the City
Freedom of Information Act
Legal Notices

City Clerk's Office

Jacqueline Beaudry, City Clerk


The City Clerk serves as the Clerk of Council and is responsible for keeping a public record of all proceedings of the Council, including the certification of all ordinances and resolutions.  The City Clerk is the official custodian of the city seal and any other papers, documents or records pertaining to the City. The City Clerk's Office is also responsible for the administration of all city elections.  Documents on this site may require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. 

Our Mission

The City Clerk's Office is committed to maintaining the integrity of city government in the City of Ann Arbor and ensuring an informed citizenry by providing access to City government through open and accessible meetings and accurate recording of the City Council proceedings; by protecting and preserving City documents and records; through the conduct of fair and democratic elections; and by providing excellent service to the public.

Notices and Publications

The City of Ann Arbor's legal notices, including public hearing notices and notices of newly approved ordinances are now published in the Washtenaw Legal News. This change was made following the close of the Ann Arbor News in order for the City to comply with State publication requirements for a "newspaper of general circulation."

Licensing and Permits

The City Clerk's Office issues a number of permits and licenses, including  domestic partnerships, dog licenses, backyard chicken permits, liquor licenses, block party and banner permits. Some of the forms included below on this page can be completed and mailed with proper payment to the City Clerk, 301 E. Huron St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. Applications can also be made in-person weekdays, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Dog Licensing To apply for a dog license by mail, please mail a proof of rabies vaccination certificate from your dog's veterinarian along with a check made payable to the City of Ann Arbor for $16.00. Dog licenses are currently issued for two fiscal years with all tags expiring on June 30 of the second year. Please be sure your vet's vaccination certificate includes your current name and address and the dog's name. The vaccination certificate will be returned to you in a few days with your new dog tag and license.

Bicycle Registration Ordinance Repealed  Ordinance No. 10-08 (Chapter 127 - Bicycle Registration), approved by Ann Arbor City Council on March 1, 2010 repealed the Sections of City Code requiring bicycle registration by City residents. This ordinance is effective beginning Monday, March 15, 2010. Effective this date, the City Clerk's Office is no longer accepting bicycle registrations. The ordinance also authorizes the City Clerk to discontinue record keeping of bicycle registrations after March 17, 2010.

Backyard Chickens  Ordinance No. 08-19 (Chapter 107 Animals) was approved on June 2, 2008 and is effective Thursday, August 7, 2008. Residents wishing to apply for a permit to keep up to four backyard chickens (hens only) should submit the permit application with proper payment ($20) to the City Clerk, 301 E. Huron St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. Applications can also be made in-person weekdays, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Applications must include the Adjacent Neighbor Consent Form and a drawing of the property showing distances to neighboring structures and the proposed location(s) of all enclosures that will be used to keep backyard chickens.

Ann Arbor Charitable Gaming License Application (pdf)

Auctioneer License (pdf)

Backyard Chicken Permit (pdf)

Banner Permit (pdf)

Block Party Permit (pdf)

Dog Park Information

Domestic Partnership Form (pdf)

Domestic Partnership Termination Form (pdf)

Gem and Precious Metal Dealer Application (pdf)

Going-Out-of-Business (pdf)
Going-Out-of-Business Information

Temporary Exemption from Maximum Permissible Sound Levels (pdf)

One-Day (Temporary Authorization) Liquor License

On-Premise Liquor License Application (pdf)

Redevelopment Liquor License Application (pdf)


Taxicab licensing begins in the Police Department. For more information, call 734-794-6940 ext. 49409.

The City Clerk's office does not handle birth and death certificates or marriage licenses.  For these services, please contact the Washtenaw County Clerk at the following link or call 734-222-6720.  To eWashtenaw Home



City Boards and Commissions 

The City Clerk's Office is responsible for maintaining the rosters for over 80 different City Boards and Commissions. City residents interested in applying for an open position on a City board or commission can complete the attached application form and submit it to the Mayor's Office on the 3rd Floor of City Hall. Currently available positions are listed in the vacancies report. For more information about serving on any City board, please contact the Mayor's Office at 734-794-6161.



Boards and Commissions Meeting

The table below provides a quick reference to the regular meeting schedule of some of the City's largest boards and commissions. For more detailed information, or to confirm a specific meeting, please contact the respective City department or click on the link listed. 

Please Note:  Some meeting locations may have changed due to City Hall construction.  Click on the Department for more information or contact information.

City Council1st and 3rd MondayCouncil Chamber - City Hall7:00 p.m.City ClerkYes
City Council Working Session2nd MondayCouncil Chamber - City Hall7:00 p.m.City ClerkYes
City Planning Commission1st and 3rd TuesdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall7:00 p.m.Planning and DevelopmentYes
Cable Communications Commission4th Tuesday2805 S. Industrial7:00 p.m.City CommunicationsYes
Commission on Disability Issues3rd WednesdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall3:15 p.m.Disability ResourcesYes
Energy Commission2nd TuesdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall6:00p.m.Energy OfficeYes
Environmental Commission4th ThursdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall7:00 p.m.EnvironmentYes
Greenbelt Advisory Commission1st ThursdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall4:30 p.m.Conservation FundYes
Historic District Commission2nd ThursdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall7:00 p.m.Planning and DevelopmentYes
Human Rights Commission2nd WednesdayFourth Floor - City Hall7:00 p.m.Human ResourcesNo
Public Market Advisory Commission3rd ThursdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall5:30 p.m.Parks and RecreationYes
Park Advisory Commission3rd TuesdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall4:00 p.m.Parks and RecreationYes
Zoning Board of Appeals4th WednesdayCouncil Chamber - City Hall6:00 p.m.Planning and DevelopmentYes
Picture of Clerk's Office

Now Online!

Filing a Claim against the City

City Charter (pdf)

Contact Information
Larcom City Hall
Second Floor

301 E. Huron St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

(734) 794-6140

M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Go to the top