Requirements and Procedure for Obtaining a Taxicab Driver's License
An applicant must obtain the following items and submit them to the Ann Arbor Police Department for a Taxicab Driver's License:
- A valid operator license with chauffeur’s endorsement with their current address.
- A taxicab driver's license application form (PDF).
- A certified copy of their criminal history record obtained through the Michigan State Police Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT). No other source will be accepted.
- A copy of their complete or edited driving record issued by the Michigan Department of State Record Lookup Unit. The request can be made through the mail, fax, telephone to or in person at limited Secretary of State branch offices. No other source will be accepted. Click here for the Michigan Department of State Record Lookup Unit website.
- The applicant will obtain, at their expense, two recent identical passport style, quality and size photographs (with head and shoulder view), approximately 2 inches by 2 inches. If eyeglasses are worn, they should be shown in the photographs. Instant (Polaroid) photographs will not be accepted.
- The applicant will then drop off their completed paperwork in the second floor lobby of the Ann Arbor Justice Center (301 E. Huron St.) to the “inbox for Officer Jamie Adkins” across from the elevators next to the phone.
After receiving all necessary documents a licensing technician will check to see that:
- The application is filled out properly.
- The photographs are proper.
- The applicant meets the requirements of the City Ordinance, Chapter 85, Section 7:155.
The applicant will be then contacted when the taxicab driver’s license is processed and available for pick up.
If your taxicab driver’s license application has been approved:
- You will need to go to the City Clerk’s office (second floor of Larcom City Hall, 301 E. Huron St.) for final processing of your license.
- You will need to pay $15 for the taxicab driver’s license fee at the city clerk’s office. Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted.
- Your taxicab driver’s license will then be signed by the City Clerk and issued.
- A taxicab driver’s license issued in April or May will expire May 31 of the following year.
How to Appeal a Taxicab Driver's License Denial
If your application has been denied, you may schedule an appeal before the Taxicab Board. You will be provided a contact name and telephone number. Board meetings typically meet on the last Thursday of each month.
You must bring with you on the day of your appeal:
- An updated certified copy of your criminal history record, if the one on file was processed more than 28 days previously.
- An updated copy of your complete or edited driving record, if the one on file was processed more than 28 days previously.
Procedure for Obtaining: New Taxicab Vehicle License, a Renewal License or a Transfer License
All required AAPD and Taxicab Board forms can be obtained from:
- The links below.
- The AAPD lobby, located in the Ann Arbor Justice Center at 301 E. Huron St., Ann Arbor, MI, 48104 on the second floor.
Applicants must submit the following for a taxicab vehicle license:
Once submitted applications will be processed by the police special services unit.
After the license has been processed, a vehicle inspection appointment will be scheduled.
Appointments can be scheduled by phone: 734.794.6940, ext. 49404, or email email@example.com.
After your application and vehicle inspection report are approved, you will need to go to the City Clerk’s office for final processing.
- You will need to pay a license fee: $51.50 for a new or renewal license, $26 for a transfer license. Cash, checks, or credit cards are accepted.
- Your license will then be issued by the City Clerk. All taxicab vehicle licenses expire May 31.
- Licenses issued in April or May will expire May 31 of the following year.
If you have any questions, please contact Officer Jamie Adkins at 734.794.6940, ext. 49404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.